You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A possible pinning Issue

Here's a sample .afpub file: pinning1.afpub

Scenario:

• Open the .afpub. Open the Pinning Panel. Select the red rectangle. Observe position of rectangle.
  • Click Inline button in Pinning Panel. Note that rectangle moves.
  • Click Unpin button. Note that the rectangle moves again.
  • Continue to alternate between Inline and Unpin. Note that the rectangle moves to a different each time.

This feels wrong. I expected the Unpin to be a kind of Undo for the prior pinning action. But perhaps my expectations are wrong.

(By the way, there seems to be no Help for pinning yet.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Here's a sample .afpub file: pinning1.afpub

Scenario:

• Open the .afpub. Open the Pinning Panel. Select the red rectangle. Observe position of rectangle.
  • Click Inline button in Pinning Panel. Note that rectangle moves.
  • Click Unpin button. Note that the rectangle moves again.
  • Continue to alternate between Inline and Unpin. Note that the rectangle moves to a different each time.

This feels wrong. I expected the Unpin to be a kind of Undo for the prior pinning action. But perhaps my expectations are wrong.

(By the way, there seems to be no Help for pinning yet.)

I can confirm that behavior. I used your file for the video @walt.farrell Hope that is ok.
Take a look to the screenvideo please. Every time when i klick "Inline" the rectangle moves to another position and unpin does that the text moves around the rectangle. I believe it´s a bug.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

2 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

Every time when i klick "Inline" the rectangle moves to another position and unpin does that the text moves around the rectangle.

Thanks for the video. This may be related to an explanation @Jon P gave in this post:

just select the object and click to pin it, it will find the nearest text and pin to it

Perhaps the 'intelligence' behind the 'find the nearest text' is 'confused' ;-)

In other words I, too, would expect a more consistant behaviour.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

There are two factors involved here. The first is that the shape has wrap settings. When it is not pinned, the text wraps around it. When it is inline, it behaves as if it were another character, and characters don't wrap around characters. They just avoid each other by being placed one after another along the baseline. The default pin location is picked with the text as it was before you pinned, which then moves when the text stops wrapping. I'll see if we can do something about this, but in the mean time I'd suggest you switch off wrapping for the shape if you intend to make it inline.

The second factor will become more apparent if you do that. It's due to the shape being taller than the text leading, so when pinned inline both it and the line of text it is pinned to are pushed down so that it can fit below the previous line. When you unpin it, the text jumps back up but the shape stays where it is. If you pin it inline a second time, it gets a different pin location because it is now above different text. I don't think there's much we can do about this.

It may help to know that the default text location for inline pins is under the bottom left of the shape's frame box. (For floating pins it uses top-centre of the box.)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.