You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a matching background

I have an illustration from the web which has a simple multi color background. It is around 2x4 in proportion. I would like to make it a banner with around 40x4 proportion, that is, much much wider. I would like the new part of the canvas to be a seamless continuation of the background. It could be blurred or transitioned or anything else as long as it looks good. I am attaching a sample. How would i do that?

image10.jpg

If I understand correctly what you want to do, this is not easy to do without some good working "Content Aware Scale" function like one can find in PS.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Crop to desired dimensions; select transparent pixels (selection menu); grow selection by a few pixels (selection menu); inpaint (edit menu). 

Sometimes this gives perfect results. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

I don't know how come. I experience the same every now and then. I apply one of multiple techniques which may or may not work:  

inpaint brush 

clone stamping

copy one area into the empty area and finish with inpainting brush 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions