You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dismissing popover first clears shadow and then closes popover

As seen in the attached video, when a popover is open and I tap on the canvas in order to close it, first the big shadow is cleared and on a following frame the popover is actually hidden. This results in a barely noticeable but disturbing flashing effect.

I call this a bug, since I've never seen a shadow that disappears before its object does (without the light source changing).

Just curious, what is your definition of bug?

• Staff

Generally, a bug is something that prevents you from doing something, or it does not work correctly ( For example, if you were to select the Brush tool and it would work as being the Text tool). This ( the shadow being 1 frame behind the pop-up) does not prevent you from doing anything, hence it's an improvement request. 

50 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Generally, a bug is something that prevents you from doing something

Déjà vu all over again!! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Generally, a bug is something that prevents you from doing something, or it does not work correctly

I will appeal to the "it does not work correctly" part.

Generally, I would rather call a bug something that does not work as expected (also see Wikipedia). By your definition, if the toolbar rearranged all its buttons randomly every time you clicked one of them, that would not be a bug, but I think most people would agree it is.

A shadow that disappears 1 frame earlier that its object might sound like a tiny thing, but for those who are sensitive to these kind of things it is distracting.

Now let's assume we have the reversed situation, i.e. the shadow stayed on screen 1 frame longer than its object. You probably wouldn't call this a bug either. But then, if the shadow stayed visible for a whole minute after the object disappeared, you probably should, because the user couldn't tell if the shadow is on the canvas or not. Since I think we can agree that we cannot define the number of frames until which the shadow not disappearing is considered a bug or not, the original case should also be considered a bug.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's unfortunate to see that you continue to treat bugs as feature requests, without showing any interest to understanding the user problems. Every time I use the app I see bugs left and right and I just cannot enjoy it because I always have in the back of my mind that nobody cares about fixing them.