You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.7.0.10] Artboard Selection (split)

3 hours ago, MattP said:

I've tried and tried and I don't get the issue any more - is there any chance you could show me? Thank you! :)

Hi  @Matt,

I have discovered that if there is only one artboard on the canvas, selecting the artboard with marque doesn't work as reported by HYR.  If there is more than one artboard on the canvas, the marque selection from the canvas works.  I hope that helps.

Nana

• Staff

@Nana

Does your Drag Start inside or outside the artboard?

OUTSIDE

1. If outside, does your drag start to the right or the left of the artboard extents, [or within the overall width but starting outside above or below] ?
  2. If outside, does your drag start above or below the artboard extents, [or within the overall height but starting outside to the left or right]?

INSIDE

1. If inside, do you drag left to right or right to left ?
  2. If inside, do you drag bottom to top or top to bottom?

Equally where does your drag END? (inside or outside /above or below/left or right).

How many layers are you drag selecting, and do they fall completely on the artboard?

A video may help sort this out.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

18 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Nana

Does your Drag Start inside or outside the artboard?

OUTSIDE

1. If outside, does your drag start to the right or the left of the artboard extents, [or within the overall width but starting outside above or below] ?
  2. If outside, does your drag start above or below the artboard extents, [or within the overall height but starting outside to the left or right]?

INSIDE

1. If inside, do you drag left to right or right to left ?
  2. If inside, do you drag bottom to top or top to bottom?

Equally where does your drag END? (inside or outside /above or below/left or right).

How many layers are you drag selecting, and do they fall completely on the artboard?

A video may help sort this out.

Hi @Patrick Connor

Please see attached a screen recording.  I hope that helps.

Nana

4 hours ago, MattP said:

I've tried and tried and I don't get the issue any more - is there any chance you could show me? Thank you! :)

Ugh, it's fixed. I could've sworn I did the update but I guess I didn't. Long day yesterday. :37_disappointed:

• Staff

Marquee artboard selection only works when you fully enclose AT LEAST one artboard and touch any other - otherwise the marquee will select the objects within the one artboard.  It also only works if you begin your marquee OUTSIDE of all artboards.

If you only have one artboard, you will consequently not be able to select it by marquee - only the objects within in.

This is by design.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

So this may be the expected behavior now which is fine but I want to confirm. When selecting an object or objects in an artboard it works as before. but I noticed a new behavior when it the selection marquee touches other artboards. Is that new behavior intentional?

single-artboard.thumb.png.ada3ff739e3743a482003885cc426fde.pngmultiple-artboards.thumb.png.27676ef622e059f61a6096fd8b9c53ee.png

I'm assuming that's intentional to make selecting multiple artboards easier. Just confirming. :) 

Just click on the name of the artboard on the Canvas to select it. No need to drag around the entire artboard....

6 hours ago, Nana said:

Hi  @Matt,

I have discovered that if there is only one artboard on the canvas, selecting the artboard with marque doesn't work as reported by HYR.  If there is more than one artboard on the canvas, the marque selection from the canvas works.  I hope that helps.

Nana

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

So, I notice the following:

• Without an artboard, objects dragged off of the canvass space onto the pasteboard space disappear from view on the pasteboard, but are still visible in the Layers panel. 
  • With an artboard, objects dragged off of the artboard onto the pasteboard space remain visible on the pasteboard.
  • With an artboard, objects within the canvas area, but outside of the artboard layer, that are dragged off onto the pasteboard remain visible and outside the artboard layer, but when dragged back into the canvass area, the object automatically becomes included within the artboard layer.

Are all of these behaviors by design? If so, what is the guiding logic behind these behaviors?

2 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

So, I notice the following:

• Without an artboard, objects dragged off of the canvass space onto the pasteboard space disappear from view on the pasteboard, but are still visible in the Layers panel. 
  • With an artboard, objects dragged off of the artboard onto the pasteboard space remain visible on the pasteboard.
  • With an artboard, objects within the canvas area, but outside of the artboard layer, that are dragged off onto the pasteboard remain visible and outside the artboard layer, but when dragged back into the canvass area, the object automatically becomes included within the artboard layer.

Are all of these behaviors by design? If so, what is the guiding logic behind these behaviors?

Yeah I agree, this is a bit unexpected. I would expect it to be added back to the artboard, when dragged back into the artboard. Where this is really challenging is large objects and multiple artboards.

Correction: Actually it seems to be working as expected in 1.7.10.

Edited by HYR
Correction

40 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Sorry, but I don't understand something about your terminology.

Without an artboard, I believe we have a canvas, and a pasteboard (the area outside the canvas).

With an artboard, we have one or more artboards, and the pasteboard around them. The artboard(s) become the canvas(es).

There is no "canvas area" that is "outside the artboard layer" from which you could drag onto the pasteboard. Ignoring objects that are partially on an artboard, or that span artboards, there are only objects that are either on an artboard, or not on an artboard. 

In that bullet, how do you come up with 3 areas rather than 2?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell

To answer your question, try the following:

• create a new document
  • add an artboard
  • draw three objects
  • in the layers panel, drag an object layer outside of the artboard layer 

Now you have a scenario where an object is visible within the canvass area, but outside of the artboard layer. This object can be dragged from the canvass area onto the pasteboard area, and there it remains both visible and outside of the artboard layer, but if dragged back onto the canvass area, it becomes enveloped by the artboard layer.

To be honest, I don't understand why the Affinity suite makes artboards optional, or why they are represented as layers in the layers panel.

• Why should there be a distinction between canvass and artboard? 
  • Why not just assume that we are drawing on one or more artboards, as in the physical world?
  • Why not have a separate artboards panel to keep track of multiple artboards?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.