You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V. 305 Crashes when trying to Open a PDF

I have tried to open two different PDFs with several pages of text in v. 283, 293 and now in 305.   They open perfectly in 283, and 293.    V. 305 has crashed repeatedly.  Something odd!!  (MAC Sierra v. 10.12.6)   

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-04-26-134518-1_Jennifers-iMac.crash

Edited by jmwellborn
clarity

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I tried with File > Open and with placing a pdf into a document. The only hassles I encountered were replacing  the missing fonts for the opening and for placing the pdf took a while because I foolishly chose the Mueller Report. Lot of text and blocks of black in those four hundred fifty odd pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I tried with File > Open and with placing a pdf into a document. The only hassles I encountered were replacing  the missing fonts for the opening and for placing the pdf took a while because I foolishly chose the Mueller Report. Lot of text and blocks of black in those four hundred fifty odd pages.

I uninstalled v. 305 and reinstalled.   Didn’t change a thing.    I attempted File>Open with the same PDF of 10 pages.    It gets as far as letting me check the options, and then crashes.   So then I went back to previous Beta versions again, and the file opens perfectly.   Got to be a gremlin in there somewhere.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

The first I've tried was to open a PDF via using "Recent files > file_xyz.pdf" and it crashed immediately, the when I restarted and used "File > Open" instead, it survived and opened the PDF. Have to make further tests here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I have tried to open two different PDFs with several pages of text in v. 283, 293 and now in 305.   They open perfectly in 283, and 293.    V. 305 has crashed repeatedly.  Something odd!!  (MAC Sierra v. 10.12.6)   

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-04-26-134518-1_Jennifers-iMac.crash

I don't have this issue but I am running MacOS 10.14.4.  Have you tried resetting the setting with Ctrl key?  It seems to fix a bunch of issues.  I have made a habbit of resetting settings before after installing a new beta before testing.

In .305 was opened a .afpub 1,16 GB. Then I added a .pdf with 270 MB (no frames, no masters) and saved it as .afpub to 1,18 GB again. No problems. lars

EDIT: the first PDF was from Afpub, but now I loaded one from LibreOffice, 50 p text; ok.

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

I tried again yesterday and managed to open one pdf and then crashed several times with others.    I will try again today and then upload both the pdf that crashed several times and anything more that crashes today.    Back at my computer in about an hour.   Thank you!

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi @jmwellborn,

Is it possible for you to attach the PDF that was causing a crash you could reproduce?

You can upload it here if you need to

Thanks

I have tried several PDF's and here is a clue.   If I click both options (Favor editable text over fidelity, and Group lines of text into text frames), v. 305 crashes.    If I do not click Favour editable text over fidelity, for the most part the PDF opens quite nicely.    This is definitely a change from previous builds, where I have always been able to very successfully click both options and edit away.    One PDF, created by exporting from an old InDesign document, actually opened either way.    The two PDFs where crashes occurred were created by exporting one from an Apple Pages document and the other from an iCalamus document.   The latter oftware with its own set of problems which I used very briefly. I will send the two crashed PDFs via your link above.

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 11.25.15 AM.png

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I have tried several PDF's and here is a clue.   If I click both options (Favor editable text over fidelity, and Group lines of text into text frames), v. 305 crashes.    If I do not click Favour editable text over fidelity, for the most part the PDF opens quite nicely.    This is definitely a change from previous builds, where I have always been able to very successfully click both options and edit away.    One PDF, created by exporting from an old InDesign document, actually opened either way.    The two PDFs where crashes occurred were created by exporting one from an Apple Pages document and the other from an iCalamus document.   The latter oftware with its own set of problems which I used very briefly. I will send the two crashed PDFs via your link above.

Ouch!

Happens here too. I hadn't ticked both boxes previously.

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-04-29-112715_Mac-Pro.crash

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.