You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show in both panels

Choosing "Show in both panels" while editing a text style seems to have no effect at the moment. Does this suggest that char. and para. styles will each have their own panel (which I would much prefer to the present set-up).

On 4/26/2019 at 1:39 PM, crych said:

Choosing "Show in both panels" while editing a text style seems to have no effect at the moment. Does this suggest that char. and para. styles will each have their own panel (which I would much prefer to the present set-up).

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm a bit confused by your comment. Character and Paragraph styles do have their own studio panels. By default they are located in the same portion of the right studio, on separate tabs, which means they're not both open at the same time. But you can move one of them to a different part of the studio which will allow you to see them both.

For your first comment, "Show in both panels" does have an effect., but I think its terminology is confusing. "Panels" there is referring to two things.

The Context Toolbar pulldowns for character style and paragraph style:

image.png.d52e4d5725351e3e2896ee7ecda0f340.png

When a text style specifies "Show in both panels" it will appear in both pulldowns.

Edit: And as Dave Harris mentioned below, the Character and Paragraph studio panels each also have a pull-down list, which will list those styles marked as character styles or paragraph styles in their respective panel, and in both pull-downs if you click Show in Both:

image.png.be21233c2ab9200aba11454a17cfbc9f.png    image.png.dd6d9bc49794959f86fbc2d55f7b0882.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, thanks for your reply. I see the Character and Paragraph panels but I was referring to the Text Styles panel, where para styles and character styles are displayed together. I am used to having the lists in separate panels (as in InDesign and Framemaker). Also, the command to display the Right Studio is greyed-out in my installation (latest build, Mac OS 10.14.4), so I assumed it was a work in progress. 

17 hours ago, crych said:

Walt, thanks for your reply. I see the Character and Paragraph panels but I was referring to the Text Styles panel, where para styles and character styles are displayed together. I am used to having the lists in separate panels (as in InDesign and Framemaker). Also, the command to display the Right Studio is greyed-out in my installation (latest build, Mac OS 10.14.4), so I assumed it was a work in progress. 

It's an odd usage of the word "panel". It does not refer to the Studio panels at all (Character, Paragraph, Text Styles), as the Character and Paragraph panels there don't list styles at all. It refers only to those Context Toolbar pulldowns.

This is not new or unique to Publisher, by the way. Designer and Photo (1.6 or 1.7 beta) have the same wording. Edit: And the same functionality. Please see revised screenshot above.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's an odd usage of the word "panel". It does not refer to the Studio panels at all (Character, Paragraph, Text Styles), as the Character and Paragraph panels there don't list styles at all. It refers only to those Context Toolbar pulldowns.

This is not new or unique to Publisher, by the way. Designer and Photo (1.6 or 1.7 beta) have the same wording.

Both Character and Paragraph studio panels list their respective styles in a drop-down list.

13 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Both Character and Paragraph studio panels list their respective styles in a drop-down list.

My sincere apologies, Dave. I had never noticed those drop-downs before. They hide very well.

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, crych said:

Also, the command to display the Right Studio is greyed-out in my installation (latest build, Mac OS 10.14.4), so I assumed it was a work in progress. 

As Dave Harris mentioned, the studio panels do have the pulldown, and Show in Both does affect them. I totally missed two fields in the Paragraph and Character panels. Sorry.

I have no idea why you can't show the Right Studio. That's also where I would expect the Text Styles panel to display, by default, and you seem to have that panel.

Perhaps you might try View > Studio > Reset Studio and see if that helps.

-- Walt
PC: