You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inline Pinning and Text Wrap

I'm hesitant to call this a bug because I'm not sure what the intended behaviour here is but shouldn't pinned inline objects also support text wrap?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I'm not sure either, but I am inclined to think that inline and text wrap are mutually exclusive. I'm trying to image how an inline image that allows text to flow around it would be any different to the current behavior when an image is pinned in float mode.

Edit: Or perhaps it would be relevant for wrapping other text in separate frames?

Edited by garrettm30

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

I am inclined to think that inline and text wrap are mutually exclusive.

That's one way of looking at it.

However, inDesign does exactly that.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

Inline objects behave like characters. They have their width and height, which other characters avoid naturally by virtue of characters being placed one after the other along a baseline. It doesn't make sense for them to have additional wrapping.

If you want something like InDesigns Above line, then you can give the object a Jump wrap setting,  position it above the line where you want it, pin it as Floating, then drag the pin to the start of the line. I think InDesign uses a special setting for this because it can't wrap text around objects that come later in the text stream. Publisher doesn't have that limitation. You can wrap around any object that is pinned to the same story, so this doesn't need to be a special case.

20 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Inline objects behave like characters.

Thanks Dave.

I should not have dragged inDesign here. It confused the issue.

Basically, I'm not exactly sure why we have ADVANCE in Inline Pinning if we can't control the text beneath it.

Advance xxxpt allows me to push the pinned graphic over the lines below the line that contains the pinned object.

If we had Auto leading then the following lines would move down below the graphic. But I am not aware of any paragraph options to accomplish that.

And if so, what's the use of this option (except maybe for some special effects, decorative things). Hence my suggestion/query earlier to have some sort of control over that with text wrap.

The main use of Advance is for small shifts to get things to line up visually. You can use  Base position to place the bottom of the object at the text baseline or the text descender, but neither may be quite right. Similarly the left and right border can adjust the horizontal spacing, or create overhangs.

A large negative advance will push the shape's own baseline down, but a large positive baseline won't push the following line's baseline down. Perhaps it should, to be consistent.

The Leading override option on the Character panel may help.

11 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

Perhaps it should, to be consistent.

Thanks again Dave.

I'd welcome that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.