You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Installation failure, Affinity Publisher Beta 293

On coming back to Affinity Publisher Beta after a break, I launched it and got the message that an update needed to be installed (V1.7.0.293).  I followed the link, downloaded the update, launched it and got the message 'Set up failed'.  I have tried it again several times, including removing the previous version of Publisher Beta, without success.  My PC is running the current version of Windows 10 Home (using automatic Windows Update, it is posted as V 10.0.17763 Build 17763) and I have no 'nasties' present (according to my various background and 'on demand' PC security programs).
What is the fix for this? 

The easiest things to try are:

1. Rebooting
  2. If that didn't help, right-clicking on the installer .exe file and choosing Run as Administrator.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for your speedy response, Walt.  I omitted to say in my post that I had already tried rebooting and Right Clicking/Run as Admin, I also tried a repeat download just in case a corruption of some sort had happened.  A right puzzler.  One thing, due to space limitations on my SSD C: drive, I install to my HDD I: drive.  Hasn't been a problem in the past, can't see why it should be now, but ...?

I never install things to "c:", and I've never had a problem installing the Affinity applications to "e:".

You might try installing the brand new .305 beta to see if that helps. The Release Notes don't indicate any changes to installation, but who knows?

Also, have you checked the setup logs to see what they reveal (look for the word Error). You'll find them in %Appdata% %Temp%\AffinitySetup where each subdirectory should have a Setup.log and SetupUI.log that record the installation steps and their results.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I've tried to check the setup logs by running %Appdata%\AffinitySetup, but got the message that "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\AffinitySetup'. Make sure you've typed ...", etc.  I tried manually searching AppData folders in both drives, without success. 

I then ran Microsoft's Program Install & Uninstall Troubleshooter, but with little success.  It did seem to clear out some gubbins, but still no joy.  I've also tried .305 beta but nbg. Drat and double drat!  Having to go off for the weekend now, so am not able to ferret around further until Monday.  Thanks for the advice. 

23 minutes ago, Threepence said:

I've tried to check the setup logs by running %Appdata%\AffinitySetup, but got the message that "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\<myusername>\AppData\Roaming\AffinitySetup'. Make sure you've typed ...", etc.  I tried manually searching AppData folders in both drives, without success. 

My apologies. It's %Temp%\AffinitySetup

-- Walt
PC:

I can´t install the Publisher. Whether I try it on the SSD or an HDD. It comes after the selection of the drive "Fehler bem Setup"(install on a German Windows.). Running as an administrator has nothing to do but restarting the computer. Windows 10 Pro 1803. Currently I have the version Beta 1.7.0.305 from the Publisher.

Hi Gabe,

This may prove to be a duplicate as I've been having trouble accessing the Forum.

Thanks for the follow up.  No problem with the delay as I have also been delayed in getting back to this problem.

The problem still remains, as thus: 

I right click on installation package (Affinity-Publisher-Beta-1.7.0.305) and run as administrator.

UAC asks to confirm instruction (Yes)

The Update window appears, click on ‘Update’

The window says ‘preparing’, then after a few seconds ‘Setup failed’. (Click ‘Close’)

However, having investigated the set up logs as advised by Walt Farrell, I believe the  problem may be involved with establishing the installation path, either my desired or the default.  I'm investigating this in the next few hors and am hoping to respond with a clearer answer afterwards.

Thanks again

Ian

@Mike_Hunter

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Currently I have the version Beta 1.7.0.305 from the Publisher

Assuming you are saying that this version is installed, then you have the latest version of the beta.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Walt/Gabe

Hi guys - it's happened again.  I've just tried the latest update to 1.7.0.312 and got the 'Setup failed' message again.  I still have the previous version (305) installed and have been looking at it before this happened. 

Strange and stranger.

Per the last time this happened, please find attached the Setup and SetupUI files

Ian

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.