You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we get more info about Group Text Styles, please?

• 7 months later...

This is very confusing, since I'm used to AI and I'm well aware that's probably where the problem lies.

I opened an .ai file (which displays as a .pdf file in A Designer).

I selected "Group lines of text into text frames".

I'm now looking at a world map, with 50,000 city labels (all the exact same font) as text boxes (artistic text?)

I use the move tool to select one box and then select > same fill color.

I now have a group of 50,000 city labels which I group together.

Question: How do I change font style, color, size of all the labels within this group?

When I look at this "group" of labels, the font display bar is also empty, which must mean that I've made a mistake along the way.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Danold

46 minutes ago, Danold said:

When I look at this "group" of labels, the font display bar is also empty

It is empty because it contains text with more than one font. If you select a font from the "font display bar" then all of your text will be formated with that font.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

1 hour ago, Danold said:

This is very confusing, since I'm used to AI and I'm well aware that's probably where the problem lies.

I opened an .ai file (which displays as a .pdf file in A Designer).

I selected "Group lines of text into text frames".

I'm now looking at a world map, with 50,000 city labels (all the exact same font) as text boxes (artistic text?)

I use the move tool to select one box and then select > same fill color.

Question: How do I change font style, color, size of all the labels within this group?

When I look at this "group" of labels, the font display bar is also empty, which must mean that I've made a mistake along the way.

Any help appreciated.

I would create a paragraph or character style called “label”, apply it to your objects and edit as necessary.

2 hours ago, NNN said:

It is empty because it contains text with more than one font. If you select a font from the "font display bar" then all of your text will be formated with that font.

Thank you for the reply NNN. All the text labels are exactly the same (there might be 1 or 2 with a different font size) and when I select a font from the dropdown menu nothing happens. It has no effect on the grouped labels.

1 hour ago, Catshill said:

I would create a paragraph or character style called “label”, apply it to your objects and edit as necessary.

Thank you Catshill, that sounds like the right solution, but it has no effect on any if the grouped labels.

Can I attach a sample of the file? Does the probelm stem from the fact that this is originally an .ai file?

10 minutes ago, Danold said:

Does the probelm stem from the fact that this is originally an .ai file?

Everything imported (placed) or opened in Affinity, becomes Affinity's document.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

3 hours ago, Danold said:

I think the problem is that you have grouped the 50k labels. If you group text blocks you can't change the font. I would just create a text style, select the 50k city labels (don't group them), apply text style. Then change the text style if you want to.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

I think the problem is that you have grouped the 50k labels. If you group text blocks you can't change the font. I would just create a text style, select the 50k city labels (don't group them), apply text style. Then change the text style if you want to.

That might be the solution Mick! I just gave it a quick try and it seems to work so and I'll quickly experiment with all the other labels as well. Thank you very much!!