You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On Export, what are Unsupported Properties?

Hi,

I'm working on someone elses project to try and figure out what the problem with their file might be. When the file is opened in Illustrator (required for their client, exported eps/svg) parts of the file are rasterised. After a lot of mind bending  and checking the forums it appears that when I change the export settings to rasterize nothing the file comes out fine but it's missing several important shapes.

So my main question is, on the export option, what are Unsupported Properties? I can't seem to find any difference between the shapes that are staying and the shapes that are disappearing when unsupported properties are/aren't exported except that they come rasterized. If I can figure out what these unsupported properties are then we could both learn something and know what to avoid in the future. 

I've tried removing effects/strokes etc. chaning the blend modes but can't seem to figure out where these specific shapes are going wrong. They are all triangles that have been converted to shapes. I'd love to link the file but it's not mine. I'll ask permission in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Cheers

Shaun

Any LayersTabFxIcon_lightui.png.8791772d5d9205430cd6b09480514e21.png applied to a shape will get it rasterised.

If the file is commercial or private, you can ask a mod to look at the file, they will give you a dropbox folder away from the forum you can upload to.

From Affinity Help files: Affinity Help

For PDF, SVG and EPS file formats:

• Rasterize—select an option for rasterizing design elements which are unsupported by the file format. Select from the pop-up menu:
  • Nothing—no elements within the design are rasterized on export, therefore unsupported elements are not included in the exported file.
  • Everything—all elements within the design are rasterized for a resulting exported file which perfectly matches your original design.
  • Unsupported properties—only unsupported elements are rasterized in the exported file. (Vague at best)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks mate,

The shape has no effects. I've managed to narrow down the problem a little further. When pulling the problem shapes from within the clipping mask they do appear fine. I guess there's a workaround there but would be nice to fully understand why they are having problems within the mask.

• Staff

Hi Redbrit :)

If possible, could you provide a copy of your .afdesign file? This will allow us to provide a more refined answer to your issue!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hello.

I am also having this issue, I don't want to rasterise any shapes but when I export as  'Rasterise nothing' the shapes aren't kept. Is there anything I can do to keep the shapes and have them as vector shapes rather than rasterised? 

Again, this is for a client so I'd rather not share the whole file but the attached is a section of how the file should look and how it's coming out after 'Rasterise nothing' export. 

Shape-File-2.JPG

Shape-File.JPG

• Staff

Hi chloefluffyegg,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately I'll require your Affinity file in order to investigate this, however you can upload the file to the following link and it will be kept private - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/JFaPXJPM8gtENCl5rBTL

Could you please confirm for me, what format are you exporting to, and what are your export settings?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your document! I can see that your images (which have been converted to curves) have a vector mask applied to them, which in turn have their own vector mask applied. When exporting with Rasterise set to Nothing, this 'double clipped' object is ignored and the whole image layer is exported.

This is a bug AFAIK, so I've logged it with our developers now. In the meantime, I recommend unclipping the layer, then unclipping the layer again. Finally re-clip & mask the image layer with the larger vector object and you should find this is retained when exporting, as below - 

Please note -

Many thanks!