You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Help section is a Bug

I have been working in Photoshop over ten years, but I'm new to In-Design style software.

I'm amazed that there is no manual.

This is a major bug to leave creating a manual out. You want to compete with Adobe, and you have a good chance snatching a sizable portion of their business as I generally like the way your software works.

But one key thing is to tell people how to fly this thing. Give a manual. Don't let them crash.

The help section is awkward. You have place the cursor into the search box, but when you go to the keyboard, the search box is gone. You have to keep the cursor there with one hand, and type with the other, or the search box disappears on you.

How helpful is it?

Well, I just learned about picture frames. I wanted to rotate an image. It tells me to drag over the rotate button. It doesn't tell me what the hell this button looks like or where it is.

So you need:

a. a systematically written manual

b. better access than the disappearing search box - how about a manual/help window you can keep open - ideal for people new to the software. 

None of the Affinity Products have ever had a manual.

You find out how things work via the Help section, official and non-official videos, this forum and down dark side streets late at night.

There may be an official workbook at some stage but not sure if or when that will happen.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yeah, the tutorials are generally in the form of videos and the reference information via online help.

With Publisher still being in the middle of its first-version beta phase (not the first beta, but the betas for what will become the first released version), documentation is kind of a moving target right now, but I would expect higher quality and more accurate materials by the time of the actual release.

The tutorial videos already available for Photo and Designer are quite good, and I would assume we can expect at least something similar for Publisher when it is released: 

11 hours ago, World View said:

The help section is awkward. You have place the cursor into the search box, but when you go to the keyboard, the search box is gone. You have to keep the cursor there with one hand, and type with the other, or the search box disappears on you.

I don't get this disturbing issue. Sounds like a corrupt pref file.

The Affinity help window is not created by the Affinity.app, instead it uses – like other apps do, too – the Help Viewer.app of mac OS. You can check if its working at all when you open it from the finder help (cmd-shift-ß) or go to  /System/Library/CoreServices/HelpViewer.app . That will open Apples' Mac Help content.

p.s.: I'd appreciate if the Affinity Help would highlight in the sidebar the chapter which becomes shown in the article window. Especially for tricky topics, if one continues reading by using the links in the footer, it might help to know which main chapter is showing.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.