You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient Editor on new beta version

Hello...I can't find the gradient editor in the new beta version of photo.  When I click on the box at the top (beside TYPE) after I have drawn a gradient, there used to be a box that came up where I could change the opacity etc.  Now only the colour wheel comes up.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance.

Make sure Type is not set to None or Solid.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This change doesn't make sense and creates a shortcut that makes it more complicated to use this tool. There have been comments made by members who admit that they seldom use the gradient tool.

See my post with vid @

gradient tool - bug? or not

i wish the mods would look at this.  

Current way much more usable then previous... in my case most of the time gradient used to tune masks - and one click to change "final" color/optionally first is the fastest way to make thing done. less clicks, no need to target precisely into small buttons like in previous design, etc.

So current UI is better than previous, imho

Not having the opacity as part of the colour picker seems like a bug. We're in a layer context here where all colours are described as RGBA, so having the picker only be RGB seems kind of odd. Maybe a checkbox to lock the opacity like we have in the live filters would be a good solution, so we'd have a choice. There are valid reasons for both but neither apply 100% of the time.

It would also eliminate the need to switch back and forth to Designer for the convenience of the opacity tool.

Edit: Yes it's indeed a bug. When you bring up the Colour panel you can pick the colours normally. RGB + opacity for each stop of the gradient. It appears the colour pickers used in the toolbar and top tool bar are different from the normal one.

On 4/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, Frank Jonen said:

Not having the opacity as part of the colour picker seems like a bug.

It's not, but it certainly does feel that way.  A questionable design choice to say the least.

As you pointed out in your edit, you can also adjust the color of the selected node in the Color panel so there is actually no real need for the popup at all if you have that open:

• Type can be selected directly using the popup menu on the context toolbar
  • Position for all but the endpoints can be adjusted by dragging them directly on the document
  • Mid points are the "lines" between the stops and can also be adjusted by dragging them directly on the document
  • Color and opacity can be adjusted in the color panel
  • Stops can be added by clicking on the line on the document and deleted by selecting them and pressing the Delete key.
  • There is a button on the context toolbar (looks a bit like a squished undo button) that can be used to reverse the gradient.
  • The only function of the "old" gradient popup that does not seem to be more directly accessible without it is the button to "copy" a stop.  Personally, I could live without that one.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.