You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is Help STILL not working in your apps?

I remember having this same problem with Affinity Photo a while ago when I was trying it out, and it appears that the same problem exists in Designer. There is no Help. When you click on Help in the menu and search for a topic, then click on that topic, a little window is opened that is empty. When I search again for the topic in that popup window, it's still blank. There is no Help. 

I find it hard to believe Affinity still hasn't fixed this problem after I reported it here many months ago. 

So how am I supposed to figure out how to use various features of this app? 

2034426658_ScreenShot2019-04-25at2_34_18PM.png.c93e3743c18afb2ceb56c0ff3dfbbca7.png

Thanks. That version of the help is pretty awful, when you search for anything you're shown a list of ads before you see any actual help topics. What are they using, Google? 

When I reported this many months ago, it was the same reason, something with macOS that broke their help file. I don't think that's actually the problem, or they just don't care. Quite telling. 

648792943_ScreenShot2019-04-25at3_38_31PM.png.026e770a41a93a9047eb11c1b96d95ae.png

Yes for ease of use they seemed to reused Google here. The only other more or less alternative in your case is, to look after an unofficial PDF representation of the help files in the forums resources section. Something like these then ...

... and to search inside those then after certain topics. - Or fetch the whole via wget etc...

... or maybe even easier for you, navigate into your local Affinity App version and copy the HTML help files to a custom directory for local access.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks! It seems any of the Help resources for Designer are either outdated or don't exist for Designer. I don't understand why Serif provides such shoddy Help for their apps, because their apps aren't really intuitive to use at all and anyone new to their apps really needs these detailed help files to use their apps. 

I'll just continue with that online web version, which is pretty terrible, the user interface is non-existent, but seems to be the only up-to-date option. 

As a workaround, for a Mac version the HTML help stuff of the Designer App resides under /Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/...

/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources...
/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/...
/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/en-US.lproj/...
/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/...
/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/shared/...
/Applications/AffinityDesigner.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityDesigner.help/Contents/Resources/resources/...

You can copy the language localized folder part you need, together with "/shared", "/resources" etc. to another local place on your harddisk and open the "index.html" file of the localized folder locally in a web browser for offline reading. And with a software like Calibre you can make your own indexed eBook or PDF-Manual out of those then.

Other than that and related to Affinity documentation in general, yes they are not the best on this and a lot of things aren't well documented at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2