You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem w PDF save but not JPG save of same file

When I save a file PUB file to PDF, the graphic grays out. But, when I save same file to JPG, no problem. The file that's causing the problem is a JPG file that I imported, then cropped and changed exposure. That's it. I've done the exact same thing on several other pages without any problems when saving to PDF. I've deleted and reinserted the file several times to the same result when I save to PDF. Sample 1 is screen shot of original PUB file. Sample 2 is screen shot of PDF save.

Thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.40.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.40.14 PM.png

1 hour ago, koop said:

Just tested the JPG file and found that changing exposure creates grayed image when saved as PDF, but doesn't happen when saved as JPG file. Is this an exposure glitch?

Did you do that test in Publisher or Photo?

Can you provide the .jpg file, and the .afpub or .afphoto file with the adjustments, the exported PDF, and a screenshot of your PDF export options (including the More... dialog)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just tested the JPG file and found that changing exposure creates grayed image when saved as PDF, but doesn't happen when saved as JPG file. Is this an exposure glitch?

HI WALT- 

Here are the files. I had to do a work-around to get this project done, so instead of using exposure to darken the image, I used brightness/contrast. When I did that, the PDF file worked . . . the image was not grayed out.

Would love to know what might be going on when I use exposure. Would help understand how to use it better.

Thanks!

KOOP_test page.afpub

KOOP_test page.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 10.30.53 AM.png

Coyote f-h.jpg

• Staff

Hi koop, 
Glad you were able to work around the issue. It looks like the Exposure Adjustment is behaving differently in a CMYK document than RGB. In an RGB document a pure white gets turned to a grey when the exposure is reduced (like what happens with your export). However in a CMYK document this gets kept as pure white. I'll pass it onto development to check what the correct behaviour is!

EDIT: Just tried setting up a similar file in Affinity Photo and in 1.6 the output is correct (as you were expecting), but tried it in 1.7 and the output is the same as Publisher, so I've passed it on to development.

Thanks for the info, Sean. I am working in CMYK, which should have kept the white as white, but it turned it gray. So not sure the RGB explanation is working for my docs.

Keep me posted. Interesting problem.

Thanks

koop

• Staff
Just now, koop said:

So not sure the RGB explanation is working for my docs.

Essentially due to the way the colour modes work the exposure works slightly different if you're using RGB. Using RGB results in whites going to grey. When you exporting to PDF the software is exporting them as RGB when they shouldn't be! They should be going out as CMYK retaining the white! :)

Ahh . . . got it. So it's an export PDF issue not an issue on my creation side. That would explain why the white was retained when I tested it as a JPG export. OK. I'll keep using my work-around until I hear the problem is solved.

Thanks!

koop

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue ("Exposure Adjustment exports as RGB when used in CMYK document") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.