Sign in to follow this  
Curt M

Changing a black background to transparent

I have a logo file in 2 formats--JPEG and PNG. Both files have black backgrounds that I want to change to transparent. I've tried exporting to PNG with the transparency option selected and also exporting as a GIF and TIFF. Everything still results in a black background. I've attached the .png version of the file. Any ideas? Is this a layer problem?

I don't see any file attachment? - However, select the black background in an appropriate manner (there are different possible ways to do that) and remove/delete that then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Also, you have to set document background to transparent ( I know, for some reason devs decided this step is needed). In Photo: Document>Transparent Background

Setting the file to have a transparent background doesn't remove the black background you have.

Cutting Out: 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

On 4/26/2019 at 1:38 AM, Fixx said:

Also, you have to set document background to transparent ( I know, for some reason devs decided this step is needed). In Photo: Document>Transparent Background

This changes nothing for me. I still get a black background on export with everything set to transparent during png export. This software is cheap, but it acts like it sometimes.

1. Which Operating System are you on?
  2. Which app are you using?
    1. Affinity Designer 1.6.x
    2. Affinity Designer βeta 1.7.0.x
    3. Affinity Photo 1.6.x
    4. Affinity Photo βeta 1.7.0.x 
    5. Affinity Publisher βeta 1.7.x 

An example of your logo would be good too.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

2 hours ago, Chosen Idea said:

This changes nothing for me. I still get a black background on export with everything set to transparent during png export. This software is cheap, but it acts like it sometimes.

Setting background to transparent does not remove your black pixels. After you have set background to transparent, you have to select and remove the black pixels, just as firstdefence said. You should see checkerboard texture in transparent areas. 

I the good old days there were software where you could select colour to be transparent in gif-export. Nowadays softwares support true transparency.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:22 AM, Fixx said:

Setting background to transparent does not remove your black pixels. After you have set background to transparent, you have to select and remove the black pixels, just as firstdefence said. You should see checkerboard texture in transparent areas. 

I the good old days there were software where you could select colour to be transparent in gif-export. Nowadays softwares support true transparency.

Yes, I'm not under the belief the magic background removal fairy comes along and deletes the background when I push a button lol. The background was checkered (there was no background to begin with) and the result of my export was a black background after selecting transparent. It's not my first rodeo, I know about what was and what should work now. Perhaps this new version will fix the bug.