You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing a black background to transparent

I have a logo file in 2 formats--JPEG and PNG. Both files have black backgrounds that I want to change to transparent. I've tried exporting to PNG with the transparency option selected and also exporting as a GIF and TIFF. Everything still results in a black background. I've attached the .png version of the file. Any ideas? Is this a layer problem?

I don't see any file attachment? - However, select the black background in an appropriate manner (there are different possible ways to do that) and remove/delete that then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Setting the file to have a transparent background doesn't remove the black background you have.

Cutting Out: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 4/26/2019 at 1:38 AM, Fixx said:

Also, you have to set document background to transparent ( I know, for some reason devs decided this step is needed). In Photo: Document>Transparent Background

This changes nothing for me. I still get a black background on export with everything set to transparent during png export. This software is cheap, but it acts like it sometimes.

1. Which Operating System are you on?
  2. Which app are you using?
    1. Affinity Designer 1.6.x
    2. Affinity Designer βeta 1.7.0.x
    3. Affinity Photo 1.6.x
    4. Affinity Photo βeta 1.7.0.x 
    5. Affinity Publisher βeta 1.7.x 

An example of your logo would be good too.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Chosen Idea said:

This changes nothing for me. I still get a black background on export with everything set to transparent during png export. This software is cheap, but it acts like it sometimes.

Setting background to transparent does not remove your black pixels. After you have set background to transparent, you have to select and remove the black pixels, just as firstdefence said. You should see checkerboard texture in transparent areas. 

I the good old days there were software where you could select colour to be transparent in gif-export. Nowadays softwares support true transparency.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 3:22 AM, Fixx said:

Setting background to transparent does not remove your black pixels. After you have set background to transparent, you have to select and remove the black pixels, just as firstdefence said. You should see checkerboard texture in transparent areas. 

I the good old days there were software where you could select colour to be transparent in gif-export. Nowadays softwares support true transparency.

Yes, I'm not under the belief the magic background removal fairy comes along and deletes the background when I push a button lol. The background was checkered (there was no background to begin with) and the result of my export was a black background after selecting transparent. It's not my first rodeo, I know about what was and what should work now. Perhaps this new version will fix the bug.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone solved this problem? I'm having the same problem but discovered another material fact. When I upload the png with the transparent background to shopify the background is transparent but the same file in an app has a black background. However other png's in the app created by PS have transparent backgrounds. Can anyone help?

12 minutes ago, Dantrillion said:

Has anyone solved this problem? I'm having the same problem but discovered another material fact. When I upload the png with the transparent background to shopify the background is transparent but the same file in an app has a black background. However other png's in the app created by PS have transparent backgrounds. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you share a PNG from PS that works correctly in the other app, and one from Photo that is transparent but shows the black background in that app?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

TrillionIcon_Crossfit-01.png.bd3f3b87051c10f98e7a144c08edb263.pngsorry- just read your post again. the blue one from PS initially uploaded to the app with a clear background. turns out now that the PS ones that are already in the app are clear but the same ones upload with white backgrounds now. opened a ticket with the app co.

TrillionIcon_Crossfit-3.jpg

Edited by Dantrillion

Both the black .png from Photo (2 posts up) and the blue .png from PS have transparent backgrounds when I look at them in Photo or when I look at them in applications that support display of PNG files with transparent backgrounds.

Some applications don't support transparent backgrounds. Which one(s) are working for you with the PNG from PS but not for the PNG from Photo?

---

(By the way, one post up your black image is a .jpg not a .png, so that one won't show transparency. But the image 2 posts up does show it.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Both of those work consistently for me in the apps that I have tried, either both have a transparent background when the app supports that, or both have a non-transparent background for apps that don't support it. So I'm not sure what is causing your problem; sorry.

What app is giving you the issue?

-- Walt
PC:

thanks for looking into it. the app is called ask whai and when I asked them to look into it they said that their uploading tool is converting the png to a jpg. if I upload the file to shopify then call that url it ends up in the app as a transparent png. goofy but it works. thanks for your help.

You're welcome. And yes, that seems goofy, but I'm glad you have found a method that can work.

-- Walt
PC: