TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

2 hours ago, PeanutsA said:

perhaps you could put an announcement re new beta issues in the 'News' section.

Like these :) 

n.b. this thread is now at 2000 replies!!! I personally think we will need to make a new one of these when 1.7 is released

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

n.b. this thread is now at 2000 replies!!! I personally think we will need to make a new one of these when 1.7 is released

It would be nice if the roadmaps are locked and as features are struck through and the release number added once rolled in.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

21 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It would be nice if the roadmaps are locked

Great idea, then “Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list” also makes no sense anymore.

6 minutes ago, Oval said:

Great idea, then “Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list” also makes no sense anymore

True, but there are simple solutions to that, like having an independent comments thread linked to from the locked one. nobody said the wording of any future thread would have the same wording as this one. I mean frankly this one says "Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list”  but how many of the recent questions in the 2000 posts have been answered. This thread is not working (anymore).

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I mean frankly this one says "Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list”  but how many of the recent questions in the 2000 posts have been answered. This thread is not working (anymore).

And how many of those 2000 posts are actually questions about the features on the list as opposed to being additional feature requests that should have been posted as separate topics?

I agree this thread isn't working well :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

24 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

but there are simple solutions to that, like having an independent comments thread

W h e r e ?

Well since the topic is still going on, I just want to mention something to @PeanutsA over a concern from the previous page.

When I first joined the forum, I was having a lot of issues getting notified as well while all of the notification settings were accurate. I don't know if you use Gmail or not, but I did find that it has a hard time adding email notifications for forum websites. I gave a different email provider a try for specific websites such as Affinity, and I no longer faced an issue. Just a thought.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Gmail here, never a single problem with notifications , not with Affinity's forum, but neither with any other brand's site, organization, or etc. Never an issue. I might have had issues with that indeed with other  two email providers, but quite long ago. 

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

I see. Because that was happening to me around 2016. I gave Zoho Mail a try, and notifications were never a problem again. But hey, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I'm not sure why that problem occurred for me.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

4 hours ago, Ntracks said:

...And is there any Possibility to use page rotation with your Wacom and Affinity Designer?

On Mac yes. Set up in the OS Preferences and then in the Designer Preferences as well.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

On 8/21/2014 at 7:49 PM, TonyB said:

Convert Pixel selection to Vector shap

Is this the same as in AI?

On 8/21/2014 at 7:49 PM, TonyB said:

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

Are these coming in 1.7?

1 hour ago, Aaron Martin said:

Is this the same as in AI?

Right now, it isn't anything ... or at least it has not made it to a customer beta so we have no way of knowing how much progress has been made on implementing an Affinity version, whatever it might become.

1 hour ago, Aaron Martin said:

Are these coming in 1.7?

Neither one has shown up in a customer beta either, so it does not seem likely they will make it into the eventual 1.7 update.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

41 minutes ago, R C-R said:

it does not seem likely they will make it into the eventual 1.7 update

It doesn’t seem at all likely that they will make it into the initial version 1.7 retail release, but we can’t rule out the possibility of their being added in a later 1.7.x update.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

but we can’t rule out the possibility of their being added in a later 1.7.x update.

True on that. Arrowheads and an Appearance panel did not release on the first couple of 1.7 betas. They came as an extra surprise later on.

Yes in Adobe Illustrator i have to select many things bij the same thiknes or colour.

I would really like to be able to select parts in an illustration on line thicknesses, colors or other properties.
For example Select> all with the line thickness 0.5

On 3/11/2019 at 7:07 PM, jamesholden said:

I think @Gomke meant to be able to select objects as in choose objects based on a specific property— for example select all objects with outlines of y px, for instance.

I could though be wrong.

Yes thats is what i ment

6 hours ago, Gomke said:

Yes in Adobe Illustrator i have to select many things bij the same thiknes or colour.

I would really like to be able to select parts in an illustration on line thicknesses, colors or other properties.
For example Select> all with the line thickness 0.5

In the Edit menu, you can paste styles, and this maintains things like color, line thickness, and gradients. You can do the same for pasting effects.

On 6/17/2015 at 6:31 PM, vittomasuk said:

I know this feature is in the roadmap, but I just can't express enough how important it is to implement the pasteboard area and multiple pages. This is a huge letdown to me and all my colleague designers that I spoke to, and the main reason why none of us has adopted AD professionally yet. Expanding the artboard size to fit scribbles and exporting slices is a design hack, and not a good practice. Illustrator's had multiple pages since CS4, Sketch has since the beginning, Photoshop now has it too... And why make elements invisible outside of the artboard area? Not even a toggle to turn that off? Please put this on first priority, and I think you will gain solid and influential adopters.

Four years in and this still hasn't been properly addressed. That's the reason why I'm calling it a “critical & overdue” feature. I know these posters weren't yet addressing the whole layer issue (because it wasn't yet a thing), but the fact it even arose and still lingers to this day means you still haven't figured out the core artboard and layer model in a functional manner. AD is not intuitive, it's a letdown, and the only reason I don't wish I've never bought it in the first place is because it shows a lot of promise and I know you needed the money. I've said it before and I'll say it again: though I may not seem like it, I must be one of the most patient and optimistic people around and I really want you guys to succeed, but I don't think this is working, or working as nicely as you think it is (I don't know what's your data on successful trial-to-paying-customer ratio, and maybe it's hard to figure that out as you'd have to cross-examine – on the Mac at least – the MAS data with the beta sign-up forms, but you really should double-check that).

It's great that you're addressing so many important feature requests, but if the core of the application doesn't work, you won't attract users, and those newfangled features won't be properly tested (at least that's the reason I'm personally not testing them as much as I'd like, because these days I won't use AD for production work, ever, and will only do every now and then small random tests of features I know I use frequently, to check if I can finally switch). You see, AD is, in fact, so frustrating to use I just keep firing up Ai instead. And this is not just a matter of my muscle memory from Adobe apps not matching up with AD, not at all. AI's bugs, feature creep and overall crustiness are actually still more bearable than AD's über-quirky behaviour (I could get used to the whole extremely non-standard click+option+drag duplication behaviour I've beaten to death [EDIT #1: and which has been finally fixed in the latest beta(s)], but the entire artboard and layer situation is a total non-starter for me). These are serious and irreconcilable UX and structural issues we're talking about, here.

Guys like me (you know what kind of invitations you sent me, and the letters I've sent you even before you made the whole betting-the-farm-on-Affinity move public, and if not please check your internal archives) should be the canary in the coal mine. You're losing me a bit, here. Whenever I'm speaking to young aspiring designers I'm always torn between bashing Adobe (because how couldn't I?), praising you and then immediately having to recognise the sad reality that maybe you bit more than you could chew and/or are not prioritising your features right (because, you see, I really can't stick my neck out for you, as my credibility would also be on the line). Please fix the core first/ASAP.

Until you can get users like me to at least do some intermediate projects (and, no, doing some artwork for brochure covers – which I then finish off in InDesign because APub is still in beta, mind you – just because AD is better at gradients is just… sad, and doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of any of the admittedly cool new features you've been adding recently), you won't make any serious dents in Adobe's armour. I'm basically using Affinity as an accessory to Adobe's apps, when I hoped it'd be the other way around already for quite a while.

Remember our loud rants in the Publisher forums against you even thinking of releasing it into the wild without anchored objects properly implemented, lest you damaged your reputation among pros? Well, as of late, I've been reconsidering my initial enthusiasm regarding Designer, and realised this complete layer/artboard SNAFU is Designer's equivalent to that – actually, scratch that; this is akin to releasing Publisher without support for master pages or baseline grids, or at least with a totally borked implementation thereof –, and it's been four years already since these users gave you the very same warning.

Four years of losing potential users who downloaded the trial and decided against buying it (if you're lucky enough, maybe they're now “honest pirates”, are still trialling it in less than legal fashion and maybe will indeed buy it once it gets up to spec, instead of just ignoring it altogether) or disappointing paying customers – nay, outspoken advocates and influencers – like myself. People can tolerate the lack of even basic features like “select by stroke/fill/colour” [EDIT #2: Scratch that; I've just noticed that that particular thread has been dragging itself on for over four years as well, with many people airing grievances kind of like mine, and the suspicion that your internal document/object model doesn't even allow for such basic grepping of the object tree for similar attributes and slapping those operations on a menu item in basic, Ai-like fashion – they're not even asking for Freehand-level search features there – worries me to no end], or even bleeds (it's not like pros can't do their nifty artwork in AD and then export it into Ai or ID to put the finishing touches and send it to the printer), but if the core is completely broken, it really throws off a bad vibe, as if development is misguided or something. As if you were making it up as you went.

I am seriously afraid you may be boxing yourselves in in other fields, and I only realised it yesterday once I really started thinking of the implications of adding just one checkbox or field, but if you have to break workflows to make things right once and for all (for all their inane tinkering and bloatware, you haven't seen Adobe messing around that much with that feature since they acquired Macromedia – and, by extension, Freehand – and bolted multiple artboard support onto Ai, and people haven't complained that much about it, either, so clearly they've been doing at least something right there), you'd better do it quickly and early on. Because, yes, I do believe this is “early on”, and that we're all in fact some sort of “paying beta testers” in the grand scheme of things; Affinity may not even reach critical mass – as in… InDesign-killing-Quark-like critical mass – until version 2 or 3, and that's fine… But the core should be perfect in v.1.x! In fact, judging from these old posts, and from me not even willing to use the MAS version for frequent production work, it should've been fixed in v.1.6 already.

It's too long to read all but I concur with parts of JGD's comment. I am a fan of Designer, routing for it but sorely wish you would expedite the delivery of some features.

If needs be, and I can't believe I'm saying this, increase prices a bit, but please can you remedy the situation of pros feeling so torn between wanting to leave Adobe and having so many concerns.

Thanks for the work.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, jamesholden said:

It's too long to read all but I concur with parts of JGD's comment. I am a fan of Designer, routing for it but sorely wish you would expedite the delivery of some features.

If needs be, and I can't believe I'm saying this, increase prices a bit, but please can you remedy the situation of pros feeling so torn between wanting to leave Adobe and having so many concerns.

Thanks for the work.

Thank you for the support. I'm trying to “rally the troops” here, so to speak; it sounds a bit like I'm gathering a lynching mob but, really, it's in Serif's best interest that they realise and recognise just how serious this issue is. They'll thank us later after they address it and get an influx of new and/or assiduous users.

My link to the separate thread I started on the topic was a bit inconspicuous and lost in that wall of text (sorry, I got off on a bit of a tangent there), so I'll post it here in full:

I even made and posted some screencap demo videos there, so those should be easier to follow and understand than my written rants on the subject.

As a bonus, here's another thread, this time on Affinity Publisher, outlining the very same issue and the very same concerns regarding Serif's and Affinity's credibility when it comes to their weird choice to conceptualise Affinity Publisher pages and Affinity Designer artboards as containers. It's being different for the sake of being different (and, perhaps, trying to coax users into being more neat and tidy; except creatives are usually anything but – just take a look at our desktops, both physical and virtual, and our file naming conventions, ha :D –, and will feel boxed in under that kind of scenario), and it's preventing users from making more complex projects. We need, for lack of a better term, more choice.