TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

have been working on a lot of things …

… we did not get: fixes that “will come (very) soon” – for years, APu that should be launched in 2015, other platform versions, that we did not requested and that should be launched after APu, …

Yes R C-R, what day is it? A year later. You don't have any idea what they are working on..... or do I. But I know that it has been a year now since they have fixed anything. So are you trying to argue semantics again? 

Gregg

OS X Version 11.0.3 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3  Wacom Intuos 5

23 minutes ago, befehr said:

and so...I still have Illustrator to get real work done, sadly. 

That's a sad thing, yes. For many of us, Illustrator has not been a need.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

6 minutes ago, Oval said:

… we did not get: fixes that “will come (very) soon” – for years, APu that should be launched in 2015, other platform versions, that we did not requested and that should be launched after APu, …

I'm just curious about how many are we. And I am included because I don't have an iPad, but since it had a good reception, well, for many it was what they asked for.

Best regards!

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

8 minutes ago, GRScott said:

You don't have any idea what they are working on..... or do I. But I know that it has been a year now since they have fixed anything.

IIRC, the Mac 1.6.1 version of Affinity Designer was released around the end of the first quarter of 2018. It fixed many of the bugs in the 1.6.0 version, so we do know that much was done less than a year ago.

But more to the point, even though the betas are not yet ready for 'serious' work, we certainly do know that they fix a lot of issues & add several new features. The most recent Mac AD customer beta was released one month ago today ... pretty clear evidence that it has been a lot less than a year since they fixed anything.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

30 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

That's a sad thing, yes. For many of us, Illustrator has not been a need.

Best regards!

Just remember, and not that I am trying to be negative, but if Serif goes south with this thing we are all going to be stuck with a bunch of files we can't do anything with. Just saying. I make a living with this stuff and the last thing I want to have is software that can't give me EVERYTHING I need. Not that Illustrator give me "everything" but it does give me everything I NEED. And, to be honest, all my print vendors and other software are ai friendly...with Affinity, not so much. BUT, I like what they have done so far and am looking forward to what they will come up with in future versions.

Just now, GRScott said:

All semantics.

How so? No matter how you try to spin it, it remains true that the last update to AD is less than a year old & the most recent beta is just one month old. No semantics involved or required to see that.

But hey, if we are going to get picky about semantics, what about this editorial "we" that crops up in so many of these posts about what "we" supposedly have or have not requested?

It isn't that hard to understand: different groups of users & potential users want different things, some of which Serif has already implemented & others not. What they implement next or how they prioritize that is something we can only guess about, but it should be pretty obvious that with so many different requests they are not all going to happen any time soon, if at all.

If that is unacceptable to anybody then the Affinity apps are not the right ones for them & they should be using something else they find more acceptable.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

2 minutes ago, befehr said:

Just remember, and not that I am trying to be negative, but if Serif goes south with this thing we are all going to be stuck with a bunch of files we can't do anything with.

Just to ease your concerns on this one, Serif has never been doing better in the 30+ years it has already been around and our user base is expanding at an increasing rate. With the release of Publisher, the adoption should be even greater... things are looking okay ;)

Sorry to everyone we're not doing things fast enough for, but don't keep beating other people up about it as it's not getting anyone anywhere and just makes the forum less inviting for people to seek help from...

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

they should be using something else they find more acceptable

What news! That is what people are doing! (“Due in 2015, this publishing thoroughbred will share the precision, speed, quality, and designer-led finesse found in other Affinity titles.” … like the quality of Expand Stroke)

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just to ease your concerns on this one, Serif has never been doing better in the 30+ years it has already been around and our user base is expanding at an increasing rate.

Personally, I would be much more concerned about Adobe's market dominance & however they may be planning on leveraging that to extract ever more money from their user base via changes to their subscription model.

9 minutes ago, befehr said:

Just remember, and not that I am trying to be negative, but if Serif goes south with this thing we are all going to be stuck with a bunch of files we can't do anything with. Just saying. I make a living with this stuff and the last thing I want to have is software that can't give me EVERYTHING I need. Not that Illustrator give me "everything" but it does give me everything I NEED. And, to be honest, all my print vendors and other software are ai friendly...with Affinity, not so much. BUT, I like what they have done so far and am looking forward to what they will come up with in future versions.

I'm not trying to be negative either. It's just that the word "real" is quite strong.

As with many (if not all) things in life, it's about fit. Adobe Illustrator (AI) gives you everything you need, and that's why it's a good fit for you (or at least, you can live with it).

I won't convince you about changing your mind: Affinity Designer (AD) doesn't give you everything, that is a fact, it won't help you, right now, to get your work done. That's why agree with you that it's sad, because I am assuming that you want to do all with Serif's solution. In my case, the "real" work I have to do can be done with AD, and no deed for AI.

That doesn't mean that I don't expect them to add certain features, no. And I also want them to add things that I don't even use, but are critical for others, because that would be good for many folks here and out there.

Best regards!

It's been interesting to read varying viewpoints of Affinity expectations; The Affinity team and their user base. I'd be curious to know how things were handled back in the day as Adobe was building Illustrator and how Macromedia built Freehand. It was a different time and era - no internet or limited at best. 

Today at least you have Affinity charting a course with a limited knowledge by the user base of their focus or timeframe. We have a general list of features to be added with the only timeframe listed as "before vs 2.0" (whenever that is). As a member of the user base, it's a bit frustrating not knowing more information because there is a hope that must spring eternal that one day, I can ditch Adobe completely.

There are a number of features I deem "essential" to my workflow that without implementation, relegate Affinity as a side-app - something I can utilize for what it does offer but still resort to Illustrator to complete. Someone mentioned in this thread the fact that everyone has their own list of "essentials" and I agree - (I never saw the priority on arrow strokes, but hey!) I think there are several that are mentioned more than any others - text warp, offset-path, eraser tool, blob tool, vector trace feature. As an Affinity user and not a developer, its hard for me to understand why these "essentials" are missing after years in development. It helps when the team shares details about the process - such as when they decided to recode a section because it would offer greater use later, etc.

I think there is a pressure on both sides - Affinity wants a perfect product released and the user base is anxious to ditch Adobe and use Affinity full time and neither getting everything they want.

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Personally, I would be much more concerned about Adobe's market dominance & however they may be planning on leveraging that to extract ever more money from their user base via changes to their subscription model.

Hey R C-R, 

I think I can safely say that there are many people in this forum (myself included) who agree with your concern about Adobe's  dominance of the market. Which is where a lot of the disappointment is coming from;  AD seemed at one point, could break that dominance. Many of us who adopted AD were hoping that we could be a part of a revolution,  and put our time in energy into learning, adopting, and committing to a new tool, with the hope and expectation that we would not have to depend on Illustrator soon enough. However, it seems that those people in this forum (myself included) who are complaining about certain missing basic features, are in reality frustrated/complaining about the fact that they have not been able to completely abandon Illustrator, and even more frustrating, there is a split/fracture in the workflow. 

I agree "basic needs" and "basic tools" are subjective, however there are many ways to derive global basics for any software or application --  something as simple as looking at every other competitor app in the same field  (proprietary or open source) that's out there.  Arrowheads for diagramming is a good example of a global basic. 

You see what I mean?

*sigh*sigh* I'm still cheering for Serif / Affinity.  

RC-R...."We" means more than one. Some people like to pick the "Fly S#@t out of the pepper." Sticking to the subject of Affinity Designer not being updated for "almost" a year and that does not count for beta testing that is not the finished product. 

I understand this is all a business move by Serif. That is their choice. But it does affect the users who would love to use their software for their individual needs.

Gregg

OS X Version 11.0.3 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3  Wacom Intuos 5

54 minutes ago, Oval said:

Seems it is getting an Adobe forum. :D

Lol, I was just thinking it sounds like a CorelDRAW forum.

:4_joy:

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Just to ease your concerns on this one, Serif has never been doing better in the 30+ years it has already been around and our user base is expanding at an increasing rate. With the release of Publisher, the adoption should be even greater... things are looking okay ;)

I do have high hopes, and not just because I will be vacationing in Colorado this summer. 

To make a long story short; I dislike Adobe's subscription policies enough to live with the transient lack of features in AD, AP and Publisher. In addition I applaud Serif for working on a solid alternative, however difficult and time consuming that may be.

Home: http://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: http://communicats.blogspot.com

On 2/8/2019 at 5:13 PM, befehr said:

Lol, I was just thinking it sounds like a CorelDRAW forum.

:4_joy:

I've been all this time thinking it was a forum about cat shaped unicorns ...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:48 PM, GRScott said:

RC-R...."We" means more than one. Some people like to pick the "Fly S#@t out of the pepper." Sticking to the subject of Affinity Designer not being updated for "almost" a year and that does not count for beta testing that is not the finished product. 

I understand this is all a business move by Serif. That is their choice. But it does affect the users who would love to use their software for their individual needs.

Their betas are amazing... Publisher saved the day in an important situation some weeks ago in a project I was in... Not going into detail, but another team member (we all being freelancers) had an issue with InDesign doing certain thing... Also, I'm not versed in publishing (the other person was/is ) , and that to say the least, lol, I'm trained in many disciplines, but that's not one of them, and yet, it really saved the day for both of us (meaning, I used it to solve the issue).

Their current Photo beta allows me to paint much better than ever before with it... And AD... well, AD for me is amazing, beta or stable.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, MattP said:

Sincerely happy ( *very* ) to hear that!  :)
( besides, the resilience demonstrated during so many years (you made a lot of fans through those CD covers' gifts... !  ;) ) is something to consider, to erase any doubt.  )

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:20 AM, R C-R said:

...it would be like using the Klingon language to explain how to do something to someone who knows nothing about Star Trek!  :S

Good analogy!

Hi All: hope this is the right spot, just feeling motivation to throw my hat in the ring on future requests. I'm a home user, for personal projects with some use of personal equipment for work purposes - particularly for highlighting/illustrating screen grabs of architectural drawings. I was, in a former life, a landscape designer (11 years) and did some freelance graphic design as well - in CorelDraw and Illustrator/InDesign. I only mention that because I've been dabbling in Vector and Raster Graphics for over 20 years. I purchased Designer and Photo almost a year ago, and do love both of them FOR THEIR PRICE and features (some of which are really unique and awesome). However, I'm very near ready to shift away if two things are not implemented at some point, fairly soon:

Offset tool (by a set amount of distance) - this is not in the roadmap on this post, but is very specifically mentioned by Affinity Staff in other posts going back to 2015 as "coming"

Line ends such as arrowheads. 

The work arounds I find on-line for both of the above are ridiculous in steps and effort, particularly arrowheads - seriously, does nobody have a use for arrowheads on the end of a line anymore? Or another symbol? This is a feature I had in CorelDraw version 8 in 1996 (my first graphic program purchase). It's on the roadmap from this post in August 2014. And yet still no line ends... for what I use Designer for, this is a huge issue for me. I don't know how much longer I can wait, even with all the other great features built into it. Maybe I'll just come back in a few years and see where things are at. I don't follow the beta program, so maybe these things are coming...