TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

@MattP made a "leak" on Twitter, and I'm the one to spoil it. Haha. What he said was this.

Multiple lines/fills per object, arrowheads, new tools - 2019 should be a good year for all platforms... :)

Heck yes!

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

11 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

@MattP made a "leak" on Twitter, and I'm the one to spoil it. Haha. What he said was this.

Heck yes!

Having waited sooooooo long for some of, to me, the most basic feature of a 'true' designer ap covering all possible design uses and not just one for the 'art group' I have to admit that I have become cynical  ........ and so would point out that there is a big difference between "should be" and "will be".

My cynicism really 'kicked-in' when Patrick Conner referred people who were asking/requesting/ begging for arrowheads/line ending back to Serif DrawPlus, an app Serif made a Legacy product, implying that AF Designer was, in future, the app to use ........ and yet after 4 years AF Designer still does not have some of the features/facilities that DrawPlus had.

17 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

........ and yet after 4 years AF Designer still does not have some of the features/facilities that DrawPlus had.

Since the Plus & Affinity apps have entirely different code bases (& the Affinity ones must support both the Mac & Window platforms), I am not surprised that it is taking them this long to add the equivalent of Plus features to the Affinity ones. After all, it is not as if they can just drop any of the the code from a Plus app into an Affinity one -- it would be like using the Klingon language to explain how to do something to someone who knows nothing about Star Trek!  :S

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

it would be like using the Klingon language to explain how to do something to someone who knows nothing about Star Trek!

Well, there’s a thought to ... er ... cling on to!!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Okay, here's just one specific example of the reason why the features from the Plus products aren't just magically fed into the Affinity products... Let's take arrowheads and look at it from our perspective...

Q: Are the arrowheads in the Plus products of an acceptable quality for the Affinity products?

If you answered 'Yes!' then look again... Try drawing a curve in a Plus product, adding an arrow head and then zooming in and out... watch where the arrow is pointing... it will move. Only a tiny bit, but it actually is moving.. I guarantee that 99% of the customers have never noticed and never cared, but we do! The arrowheads in Affinity products are mathematically perfect, whereas the ones in the Plus products are a cheaper, easier solution that is simple to implement but is not accurate. Affinity arrowheads will not move, jiggle or do anything unexpected, but that requires a different approach, more typing and therefore needs time!

We aren't deliberately ignoring 'free' features - we aren't insane and we're not masochists! We just want to only add well conceived, interesting and satisfying features that actually do what they're supposed to. At least that's the aim and I think that's worth working towards...

Matt

I get your point of view and rather have thought through features instead of copy/paste or paid code from other products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home /  APhoto  /  ADesigner  /  APublisher  / latest (beta) versions

On 8/21/2014 at 6:49 AM, TonyB said:

-Calligraphic line styles

Wanted to ask: Is the scope of this feature to make things like this?

image.png.7e2d8c0999c65c1ceb5f6b64c0bee834.png

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Okay, here's just one specific example of the reason why the features from the Plus products aren't just magically fed into the Affinity products... Let's take arrowheads and look at it from our perspective...

Q: Are the arrowheads in the Plus products of an acceptable quality for the Affinity products?

If you answered 'Yes!' then look again... Try drawing a curve in a Plus product, adding an arrow head and then zooming in and out... watch where the arrow is pointing... it will move. Only a tiny bit, but it actually is moving.. I guarantee that 99% of the customers have never noticed and never cared, but we do! The arrowheads in Affinity products are mathematically perfect, whereas the ones in the Plus products are a cheaper, easier solution that is simple to implement but is not accurate. Affinity arrowheads will not move, jiggle or do anything unexpected, but that requires a different approach, more typing and therefore needs time!

We aren't deliberately ignoring 'free' features - we aren't insane and we're not masochists! We just want to only add well conceived, interesting and satisfying features that actually do what they're supposed to. At least that's the aim and I think that's worth working towards...

Matt

I've noticed those "movements" when using the Shape Builder Tool in DrawPlus:

• Before removing the inner section:

image.thumb.png.e5d51223a747f8798328c79595c56ba2.png

• After removing the inner section:

image.thumb.png.6a20ff5e72e8fc037a43b84e04294d3b.png

So, yes:

1. As a customer, I want this and other features already in Designer. I know you too want them as soon as posible, but;
  2. As an IT person myself, I know all kinds of blocks can present along the road, and the personal desire to deliver something as great as possible.

So, in the case of the Arrowheads, you know there is an issue in DrawPlus, something that you want to avoid. There area other areas where this unwanted behaviours occur, and I know you will have attention to detail when the time comes to start making something like the Shape Builder Tool (something that many of us want).

Also, if I can ask for something else, when making the Mesh Fill Tool, a thing many of us would appreciate as well is that you take look at the Freeform Gradient recently added to Adobe Illustrator, not to copy it, but to think if something like that makes sense and how to develop it "Affinity styled" or "Matt Priestley styled" (if something like that exists :P).

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I guarantee that 99% of the customers have never noticed and never cared,

Yes Matt, I never notice it as it does not effect my printing workflow :)

But I notice (which effect my printing) that line thickness always print properly in Plus than Affinity, PDF import far better in Plus than Affinity. But Affinity is wonderful in Large Canvas.

Kind regards 

Arun

| WIN 8.1 64 | i3 | 4GB RAM | APUB 1.7PP X9 | AD 1.7 | APH 1.7DP X8 | PHP X8 

12 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

But I notice (which effect my printing) that line thickness always print properly in Plus than Affinity, PDF import far better in Plus than Affinity.

Hi Arun,

What issues are you seeing with line thickness when printing? :S

PDF import was written by the same developer and is generally an improvement. Perhaps there are certain things it doesn't cope with quite as nicely so it would be good to get an example of a document that opens worse than before, if possible?

Thanks! :)

Matt

2 hours ago, MattP said:

We just want to only add well conceived, interesting and satisfying features that actually do what they're supposed to.

It can definitely agree with this, but it has the other side of the thing - the customer and user side.
That's why I have a product, that does not have "any" arrows (and I have to use a substitute solution, for four years).
A possible solution is to use the already known/available solution (although not good enough), and then to improve it over time.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Hi Arun,

What issues are you seeing with line thickness when printing? :S

PDF import was written by the same developer and is generally an improvement. Perhaps there are certain things it doesn't cope with quite as nicely so it would be good to get an example of a document that opens worse than before, if possible?

Thanks! :)

Matt

I reported line thickness issue many times and I think it is a known issue. As far as PDF import... one example : I received many design from my client with Indic Language Open type fonts. And Both Plus & Affinity does not support it. So I import those PDF with "Convert to Curve option" on for Text in Plus which still did not available in Affinity. Some font like Helvetica does not export properly in Affinity.

Kind regards 

Arun

30 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

That's why I have a product, that does not have "any" arrows (and I have to use a substitute solution, for four years).

We do have the Arrow Tool. It isn't a good fit for curved lines with arrowheads, but it does get the job done for straight ones, if not very elegantly.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Hello Patrick :)

Greetings!!

I was talking about Designer 1.6 version not with Publisher's Beta version.

Kind regards 

Arun

1 minute ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Hello Patrick :)

Greetings!!

I was talking about Designer 1.6 version not with Publisher's Beta version.

Well it's the same code and the same longstanding bug, but thanks. It will be fixed in all apps or none

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

We do have the Arrow Tool. It isn't a good fit for curved lines with arrowheads, but it does get the job done for straight ones, if not very elegantly.

Before Matt's update, I've been using the Pressure window. There's a neat little trick behind it.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

12 hours ago, MattP said:

We just want to only add well conceived, interesting and satisfying features that actually do what they're supposed to. At least that's the aim and I think that's worth working towards...

Only? :) Nah! That is not what I have seen. Then these 1.7 beta release notes - just an example I could quickly find - I have seen from Serif many times also in the legacy range are quite interesting.

• The RAW processing engine in Photo has been rewritten—producing better results and improved performance.
  • RAW files now load much more quickly.
  • Reimplemented support for XTrans sensors.
  • The denoise algorithm has been rewritten.

Of course it is worth working towards. It is just not the real reason why it took years. The real reason is that arrows were in the development backlog but prioritized down, down, down. Items in a backlog are first of all prioritized after business priority. I find it hard to belive that 'effort' amounts to anything serious. If you can struggle so much with the rocket science behind accurate arrows I find it hard to believe that we will ever get envelope distort, offset path, mesh gradients and all the advanced features also requested for years.

Designer is mainly targeting specific types of digital artists. I bet they are more likely costumers than Illustrator power users. Why not just admit it.

4. In order to validate value, release early and often
As I always share in my Professional Scrum Product Owner Trainings when we talk about Value, there is one thing that you as a Product Owner must remember: "You have to release a Product to customers/users, in order to find out if you have delivered value for them!". Unfortunately, I encounter a lot of Product Owners in daily practice, who think that 'working on the Product for just a couple more Sprints' will create a Product that customers/users will certainly love. Often, this results in a lot of disappointments... So, start validating value, by releasing to your customers and users early and often!

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/10-tips-product-owners-business-value

To run my head at this brick-wall once again, but before I do so let me make two things very clear :

1) There can be  no greater devote of Serif than I am, my computer room looks like an archive of Serif computer products, going right back to the days when to get themselves known they issued free programs (yes in those days they were programs) on floppy discs. I was advocating Serif products when the 'Mac boys' looked down their noses at them and treated them as a joke. Nobody could wish them market beating success with their AF range more than I do!

2) I fully understand that AF Designer is a totally different product from DrawPlus, and therefore items cannot just be 'cut and pasted'.

Having said this, I think that for @MattP to have used the fact that arrow ending in DrawPlus were not perfect as a reason that they are not yet, after 4 years, in AF Designer is what is known as 'smoke and mirrors' .... if the things are not the same then don't use them as comparisons.

As @R C-R likes analogies so much - "Klingon" - let me try one back at him : A car manufacturer brings out a (supposedly) all singing, multi-purpose, all terrain vehicle, to replace an out of date imperfect one, able to tackle any job and take on others in the market place ......... but they omit four-wheel-drive and when questioned why the answer they give is "Because the system in the old model was imperfect and we are (still) working on a new one" ...... and 4 years after the 'Grand Launch' they still haven't got around to implementing it in their 'basic model' (Windows & Mac) yet carry on introducing 'new models'...... if something like this happened people would shake their heads in disbelief, and start wondering; wonder like I am starting to do, and some others apparently are, whether AF Designer is ever going to a 'true/full' design product, capable of covering all aspects of design work; wondering whether Serif having at last 'found their feet' across the market have started to run too fast (with all their attempts to capture more markets) over-stretched and tripped themselves up.

I appreciate that Serif, whilst having a highly dedicated and highly talented team, have limited resources but please use those resources to (quickly) implement the basic requirements before adding 'bells and whistles'

A 'rant', maybe ....... but a member of the 'Serif family' saying what's on his mind.

2 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

As @R C-R likes analogies so much - "Klingon" - let me try one back at him : A car manufacturer brings out a (supposedly) all singing, multi-purpose, all terrain vehicle, to replace an out of date imperfect one, able to tackle any job and take on others in the market place ...

Where did you get the idea that Serif ever claimed that the Affinity apps were 'able to tackle any job'?

4 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

I appreciate that Serif, whilst having a highly dedicated and highly talented team, have limited resources but please use those resources to (quickly) implement the basic requirements before adding 'bells and whistles'

The problem with that is everybody has a different idea of which features are basic & which are merely "bells & whistles." If you doubt that, just browse through this topic or the thousands of topics in the Feature Requests & Feedback forum, taking note of how often the words "basic" or "essential" or the like are used to describe a huge number of different items, some of them typically found in high end (& often pricey) apps dedicated to CAD, 3D modeling or animation work.

Basically, a lot of people do want Affinity to be not only an all purpose, do anything 'vehicle' for all of their work but also a budget priced one, complete with extensive support for whatever choice of user interface(s), preferences, defaults, & so on they like most. It isn't ever going to be that, not 10 years after the first releases, much less after 4.

The basic point here, as I and PeanutsA are saying is, Serif has too many irons in the fire. Everyone expected something from Serifs AD (updates) and got nothing for the last year. I think it has hurt them from the response of people in different forums that have moved away from Affinity Designer.

It's almost a joke when people are requesting something in AD and they are not doing anything but working on something else. So bugs don't get fixed, implementation of items on the roadmap doesn't get created and we sit here watching arguments over semantics.

Bottom line, people are upset, and you can try and color it any way you want. But nothing is happening for a year.

Gregg

OS X Version 11.0.3 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3  Wacom Intuos 5

11 minutes ago, GRScott said:

It's almost a joke when people are requesting something in AD and they are not doing anything but working on something else.

How do you know what they have been working on, for how long they have been working on it, or how much work implementing it involves? It seems pretty obvious from the customer betas & most recently the 'leak' about arrowheads that they are & have been working on a lot of things people have requested, if not always exactly how they expect them to be implemented.