TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Yes, but you were also saying you were waiting "for about 5 yrs now," which clearly does not apply to that feature for the iPad apps. ;-)

Hey R C-R,

You're correct that the 5 yr timeline doesn't apply to the iOS app (which is past its 1 year mark), but it does apply to Affinity Designer for desktop, which, other than the hex color value feature, still doesn't have many of the other basic features, nor many of the features listed in the roadmap. My reference to waiting for a few years, is referring to Affinity Designer in general,  which hasn't had any significant updates or upgrades since the initial release. 

Just trying to get across the general concept of how it affects customer perception and confidence, when a software company releases an application or software, and has not provided a significant update or upgrade to that software in years. In most cases, one would assume that the company that produced that particular app, has abandoned that project, especially when there is literally no communication or information from the developers to their customers regarding the app / software in question.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

None of them do: I waited almost 30 years for Apple to release a decent personal computer, 

This is legitimately funny :) 

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Affinity Designer for MacOS was released in 2014. Affinity Photo for MacOS was released a year later. Next year, both applications were migrated to Windows. Subsequently, completely new iOS apps were created. In addition, the beta version of completely new app for MacOS and Windows - Affinity Publisher. And recently, new beta of major versions 1.7 were released.

You are right - this company does not deserve our confidence.

Hey Pšenda,

All that "busy"ness at Serif about migration to Windows, new iOS apps and beta releases over the last 5 years is great and all,  however it doesn't change the fact that Affinity Designer still lacks many of the basic features :), and I'm  unable to use it as a primary production tool today.

I am referring to Affinity Designer specifically, since I don't particularly care about Affinity Photo or Affinity Publisher, because APhoto and APublisher are not being considered for the primary production tool for my work and for my team.  It does me absolutely no good that they have released all these other applications, but haven't released upgrades to the one application that I am concerned with, for my production work :) Hence, my confidence is eroding, and hopes are dwindling.

1 hour ago, Hank McCoy said:

My reference to waiting for a few years, is referring to Affinity Designer in general,  which hasn't had any significant updates or upgrades since the initial release

I gather you either never used or don't remember version 1.4 or 1.5, or how much has been added since then.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, PeanutsA said:

I am one who most certainly does agree with you Alfred!

... those of us who have been waiting patiently (and impatiently) for nearly 4 years for certain implementations do not have an easy way of checking if they have been implemented.

... it wouldn't be too difficult to 'tick' an item on the list as it is/has been done, instead of completely removing it.

Admittedly the list would get longer as other items were added but so what - lots of other software companies issue a 'history' of all changes made.

I have to agree the roadmap list is akin to a plate of spaghetti todos and I have yet to fully grasp which are completed, coming or otherwise.

17 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

I have to agree the roadmap list is akin to plate of spaghetti todos and I have yet to fully grasp which are completed, coming or otherwise.

None that are on the list are completed, as completed items are removed from the list. All that are on the list are coming sometime in version 1 of Designer.

The list, though, is only those items contained in the very first post in this topic:

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

57 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

All that are on the list are coming sometime in version 1 of Designer.

So what do you think? There is no such thing in the first post.

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367, Affinity Publisher Beta. Affinity Store.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.145.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

26 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

So what do you think? There is no such thing in the first post.

Interesting. I was sure that it had been presented as the version 1 list, and I'm sure I've seen Serif staff say that. I guess only one of them, or @TonyB, would know for sure.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

None that are on the list are completed, as completed items are removed from the list. All that are on the list are coming sometime in version 1 of Designer.

The list, though, is only those items contained in the very first post in this topic:

Thank you TonyB, as in the above therein lies the confusion, at least in part.

There exists no comprehensive listing, in the true roadmap sense of the word, where one can see past and future enhancements.

Maybe it's me, but IMO this could be helpful.

47 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

There exists no comprehensive listing, in the true roadmap sense of the word, where one can see past and future enhancements.

The Latest Affinity releases on each platform by store topic includes links to the release notes for the current & previous 1.6.x releases of Designer & Photo. Because there are differences in version numbering among the various releases depending on the platform & store, & the enhancements & bug fixes for one do not necessarily have a direct 1:1 correspondence to the others, a single 'flat' list is not well suited to a comprehensive listing of all the past ones. It would have to be more like an actual roadmap, with different 'roads' that diverged & converged on the map.

The same is true to some extent for future ones, because among other things changes to an OS or to a non-Affinity store could affect the feasibility, timeliness, or even the nature of adding a planned for enhancement. 

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The Latest Affinity releases on each platform by store topic includes links to the release notes for the current & previous 1.6.x releases of Designer & Photo. Because there are differences in version numbering among the various releases depending on the platform & store, & the enhancements & bug fixes for one do not necessarily have a direct 1:1 correspondence to the others, a single 'flat' list is not well suited to a comprehensive listing of all the past ones. It would have to be more like an actual roadmap, with different 'roads' that diverged & converged on the map. 

The same is true to some extent for future ones, because among other things changes to an OS or to a non-Affinity store could affect the feasibility, timeliness, or even the nature of adding a planned for enhancement.  

Thanks R C-R, can appreciate that you have sought this out and posted it. I managed to find these,

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/55940-affinity-designer-for-macos-161/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/55941-affinity-photo-for-macos-167/

I guess I'll leave the point now, I may be the only one that (still) feels that way about the pros of a contiguous collection.

2 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

I managed to find these ...

FWIW, for Macs there were also earlier versions than 1.6, & I think there were & maybe still are release notes for them somewhere, but if so I have not been able to find them on the forums.

5 minutes ago, jamesholden said:

... I may be the only one that (still) feels that way about the pros of a contiguous collection.

I know there are others that would like to see that as well. I am just not sure it would be very practical, or avoid looking too much like a 'brag' list that would be criticized for that, or for how convoluted it might seem if say it tried to include all the info about the "PK" & keyless versions, different stores, & so on.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I was sure that it had been presented as the version 1 list, and I'm sure I've seen Serif staff say that. I guess only one of them, or @TonyB, would know for sure.

Maybe this

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367, Affinity Publisher Beta. Affinity Store.

Without having to read 4 years worth of comments. Is the first post still relevant? Is the OP updated from time to time or is there something that is updated more regularly such as a Trello board?

On 1/21/2019 at 4:13 PM, jamesholden said:

For what it’s worth, I’ve always understood the term ‘roadmap’ to refer to future improvements and bug fixes. Past (i.e. implemented) items belong in a changelog.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

9 hours ago, Alfred said:

For what it’s worth, I’ve always understood the term ‘roadmap’ to refer to future improvements and bug fixes. Past (i.e. implemented) items belong in a changelog. 

Yes and no). Though I wouldn't entirely disagree, to my understanding we were talking about features and not fixes per se, (which as you correctly pointed out would usually belong to the change log). My point was about there simply not being one place showing all features past and future together.

19 hours ago, ZenMasta said:

Without having to read 4 years worth of comments. Is the first post still relevant? Is the OP updated from time to time or is there something that is updated more regularly such as a Trello board?

Yes, it is relevant, and yes, it is updated. As the post states, when they implement a feature that is shown on the roadmap they delete it from that post.

-- Walt

I can confirm that once they have been implemented they are moved/removed from the list.

Artboards, Pantone etc etc were all on that list but have since been implemented and removed.

Still waiting on the "Knife tool" folks!

8 hours ago, 10on12 said:

Artboards, Pantone etc etc were all on that list but have since been implemented and removed.

For interest, this is the oldest post that captures the original list.

It is obvious, that many things have already been done, and many others have been added.

When the list was first published Aff Designer was still in Beta and lots of features were being added - almost on a daily/weekly basis.

They now have 3 products in development (iPad version as well) - so I guess they're a lot more stretched that a few years ago.

Designer seems to have been on the back burner for well over a year now but I expect to see a  major update this year.

23 minutes ago, 10on12 said:

Designer seems to have been on the back burner for well over a year now but I expect to see a  major update this year.

To get an idea of what to expect, check out the latest Mac or Windows customer beta versions.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, R C-R said:

To get an idea of what to expect, check out the latest Mac or Windows customer beta versions.

@10on12 Please check out the beta and share you opinion - do you consider Designer 1.7 a major update?