TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Phew xD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / APhoto /ADesigner / APublisher / latest beta versions

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I would say a bit later than that and (hopefully) so we can add some more from the roadmap into forthcoming beta builds first. :D  

I hope we see the second one (from top to bottom) of the Illustration & Design section of Features (also the one with the Arrows, for those who have been waiting for it for so long). :P

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

Hi.  This is probably the nth time someone has asked but... 

-  Could we get some kind of time frame update on the implementation feature list?  This is nuts.  I'm still having to use a certain "competitors" software to create warp envelopes to contour mask my gradients for AD.  I've looked at the workarounds and I own AP ( which seems to be considerably more complete than AD) but prefer to keep everything in vector space.  I'm really hoping to streamline my workflow.  AD is a really "good" product,  on the cusp of being a "great" product.  Help, I need squishy curves!!!

21 hours ago, Roland1984 said:

Hi.  This is probably the nth time someone has asked but... 

-  Could we get some kind of time frame update on the implementation feature list?  This is nuts.  I'm still having to use a certain "competitors" software to create warp envelopes to contour mask my gradients for AD.  I've looked at the workarounds and I own AP ( which seems to be considerably more complete than AD) but prefer to keep everything in vector space.  I'm really hoping to streamline my workflow.  AD is a really "good" product,  on the cusp of being a "great" product.  Help, I need squishy curves!!!

It might not be the exact thing you are looking for, but are you aware of Designer 1.7's new Transform mode? With the button highlighted, it will put selected nodes in a bounding box allowing you to transform nodes manually (resizing, rotation, stretching, and skewing).

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Pro Printing

• Phase II transparency flattener
  • Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

• Mesh fill tool
  • Mesh warp/distort tool
  • Knife tool
  • Calligraphic line styles
  • Arrow headline styles
  • Export slices previews with actual export data
  • Pages
  • Text features including Bullets and Numbering
  • Knockout groups
  • Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape
  • Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

• Replicate/Blend

So, just to be clear, this is from 2014? And we've made no real progress? I have to say I'm a bit concerned. I've made quite a commitment to Affinity but I' have no problem jumping back on the Adobe bandwagon if that's what it takes to get things done.

7 hours ago, befehr said:

So, just to be clear, this is from 2014? And we've made no real progress?

From the very first post of this topic:

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

36 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From the very first post of this topic:

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

I know that you’re one of those who don’t agree with me on this, but I still think it would be helpful not to have the implemented features completely removed from the list.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I know that you’re one of those who don’t agree with me on this, but I still think it would be helpful not to have the implemented features completely removed from the list.

I am one who most certainly does agree with you Alfred!

It is almost ludicrous that those of us who have been waiting patiently (and impatiently) for nearly 4 years for certain implementations do not have an easy way of checking if they have been implemented.

Come on Serif surely it wouldn't be too difficult to 'tick' an item on the list as it is/has been done, instead of completely removing it.

Admittedly the list would get longer as other items were added but so what - lots of other software companies issue a 'history' of all changes made.

46 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

a 'history' of all changes made

But this is not "feature roadmap".

The list of changes (fixes) is given for each version released. Of course, one list would be useful, as it is usually done. Optionally, a list with milestone.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

3 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

Come on Serif surely it wouldn't be too difficult to 'tick' an item on the list as it is/has been done, instead of completely removing it.

One problem with that is an item that is added to the app may be somewhat different from what the name first given to it on the roadmap suggests, or only partially implemented in one update & improved in a later one.

For example, on the current roadmap one of the items is "-Text features including Bullets and Numbering." So even if the bullets and numbering features are added, there still may be other text features yet to come in an even later update. Just marking that item as 'done' would imply that they have finished adding (or improving existing) text features to the 1.x version.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

One problem with that is an item that is added to the app may be somewhat different from what the name first given to it on the roadmap suggests, or only partially implemented in one update & improved in a later one.

For example, on the current roadmap one of the items is "-Text features including Bullets and Numbering." So even if the bullets and numbering features are added, there still may be other text features yet to come in an even later update. Just marking that item as 'done' would imply that they have finished adding (or improving existing) text features to the 1.x version.

Any features which are partially implemented could be marked as such. If the precise details were thought to introduce too much clutter, they could be hidden between ‘spoiler’ tags.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Any features which are partially implemented could be marked as such. If the precise details were thought to introduce too much clutter, they could be hidden between ‘spoiler’ tags.

And adding a #(number)  to it, may be a good reference for forum posts for bug purposes and/or suggestions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / APhoto /ADesigner / APublisher / latest beta versions

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, they could do that, but it still would not be comprehensive or indicative of all the improvements & feature additions made to the apps since 2014 (because it is only a partial list to begin with & lots of things never on the list have been added since 2014), so it still would not be a substitute for a comprehensive change list, which I think is what a lot of users really want.

Hum-mm...Number and check off what has been done. Sounds good. But then, we have been waiting since 2014 for those things to be done. Plus waiting a year (or more) for bugs to be fixed. I think that is what is really getting to everyone: The waiting.

Gregg

OS X Version 11.0.3 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3  Wacom Intuos 5

8 minutes ago, GRScott said:

Number and check off what has been done. Sounds good. But then, we have been waiting since 2014 for those things to be done.

Not exactly. Most of those items were not even on the list in 2014.

Give me a break. You know what I am talking about, just as everyone else knows what is being said. Trying to be right just for the reason of being right does not make any difference to what is meant here.

Gregg

OS X Version 11.0.3 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz Intel i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3  Wacom Intuos 5

51 minutes ago, GRScott said:

Hum-mm...Number and check off what has been done. Sounds good. But then, we have been waiting since 2014 for those things to be done. Plus waiting a year (or more) for bugs to be fixed. I think that is what is really getting to everyone: The waiting.

Completely agree!! Lists and checked items aren't nearly as important as actually having those features implemented into the application that you paid for, expecting at least the basic functionalities of an application (compared to other apps in the same category .. even the free and open source ones). I don't always expect applications to have everything implemented in the first release, but heck, that is what updates are for (standard development and release cycles). As far as AD goes, there have been some basics missing for a long time: hex color values, text warp,  blend tool and many more.

The waiting without hope, and especially without communication of progress from the developers .. for about 5 yrs now is simply chipping away at the confidence I have in Serif. Whatever happened to agile updates??? ... standard software rollout processes?

Sure, people may argue that you pay very little in a one time purchase (close to $80 if you have the desktop and iOS app) compared to Adobe's insane monthly pricing--  but that argument is invalid  when you consider free and open source options likes Inkscape that do pretty much everything people have been asking for in Affinity Designer.

I'm still cheering for the Serif team, but feeling quite disheartend and unsure about whether or not my support is based in reality.  I was so eager for an underdog like Serif to come and dethrone Adobe's monopoly in the market, but at this moment in time Adobe's dominance is clearly because it has a superior product ... imo even a couple of years ago, Serif's line up looked pretty close to being worthy challengers (if not becoming superior products) to Adobe ... not sure if I feel that way today.

3 hours ago, Hank McCoy said:

As far as AD goes, there have been some basics missing for a long time: hex color values, text warp,  blend tool and many more.

Hex color values have been a part of Affinity for years, maybe since the beginning.

42 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Hex color values have been a part of Affinity for years, maybe since the beginning.

Hex colour values are not yet available in the iPad versions of the Affinity apps, but they’ve been available in the desktop versions at least since the Windows apps became available. As far as I’m aware, they’re only applicable to RGB colour mode.

Alfred online2long.gif

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Hex colour values are not yet available in the iPad versions of the Affinity apps, but they’ve been available in the desktop versions at least since the Windows apps became available. As far as I’m aware, they’re only applicable to RGB colour mode.

Yep Alfred and R C-R, I was referring to the iPad version :).

A lot of my production work is done on the go, and my switch to AD was mainly because of the availability of the app on iPad, along with the app on desktop. IMO, Adobe's mobile apps are a joke, and I was in a position of dependency on Illustrator, which required me to carry my laptop, or be at my desk in my studio to get anything "real" done. Before AD, I had switched to using Autodesk Graphic (previously iDraw) for my mobile-to-desktop workflows. Graphic also has an app for the iPhone which allowed me to be extremely mobile and flexible. However, when AD for iOS was released, it seemed very promising even with the lack of an iPhone app, mainly due to its polished interface, fantastic rendering, thoughtful workflow setups, superior export options, and the ability to combine vector and raster artwork in one app. Which is why I felt it could easily unseat Adobe Illustrator if only AD had all of the common basic features implemented equally in the desktop and iOS apps... I mean think about it-- something as simple as arrow heads on a line or stroke for diagraming is a missing feature here!!! I still believe AD has the potential to catch up and become a true production app, regardless of the device one is working on.

1 hour ago, Hank McCoy said:

Yep Alfred and R C-R, I was referring to the iPad version :).

Yes, but you were also saying you were waiting "for about 5 yrs now," which clearly does not apply to that feature for the iPad apps. ;-)

9 hours ago, Hank McCoy said:

for about 5 yrs now is simply chipping away at the confidence I have in Serif

Affinity Designer for MacOS was released in 2014. Affinity Photo for MacOS was released a year later. Next year, both applications were migrated to Windows. Subsequently, completely new iOS apps were created. In addition, the beta version of completely new app for MacOS and Windows - Affinity Publisher. And recently, new beta of major versions 1.7 were released.

You are right - this company does not deserve our confidence.

9 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

You are right - this company does not deserve our confidence.

None of them do: I waited almost 30 years for Apple to release a decent personal computer, several more years for them to release the Mac & several more after that for Freehand. I am still waiting for Adobe to release a version of Freehand that runs natively on Intel Macs. >:(

I am not sure of your reaction, but I hope everyone will understand that it was ironic.