TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

On 8/21/2014 at 9:49 PM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

Four years since the roadmap promised a Knife Tool and yet I've just downloaded the latest version and still no knife tool. How much longer guys?

On 10/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, DuctTape said:

My computer will be dead by the time any AP or AD updates hits it.  

DEV'S don't take it as a personal attack, but adobe is jumping head again...

By renting u the software ( and if u need both vector and raster tools, then the price tag *really* climbs), yeah... And using "very nicely" your hardware resources, plus over-bloating with TSR programs (run your task manager, check processes, check services...), if canceling good luck with the files, and can't have that machine completely disconnected from internet (may sound strange, but I know some really good pros preferring that for the work machine...). I prefer to wait for features and meanwhile do workarounds. The other one can keep "jumping".

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:56 AM, DuctTape said:

My computer will be dead by the time any AP or AD updates hits it.  

Then you probably should start saving for a new one now. That's because according to what @MEB has said, the 1.7 betas should be available for testing in the next few weeks, so we can expect the GM versions to be available in the first or second quarter of 2019 at the latest.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

I very much need a shortcut for converting a node from sharp to smooth. OPT/ALT converts a smooth to sharp. Why not CMD/OPT to go from sharp to smooth, or something like that. Drawing a path with the pen tool often ends up with some not-needed sharp nodes, since one does not always remember to pull out the handles.

BTW, AD's wisdom in allowing the user to add nodes along a path with the node tool is great. Rather than drawing and pulling out the handles on each node as I draw, I find that creating the end nodes (in my case as smooth nodes) and adding points along the path and then adjusting the handles is often faster. The new node will be sharp or smooth according the the surrounding node.

Hi @Jim Monson,

may I suggest to post such a feature request as a new thread. Burried on page 73 of the 'feature roadmap' it may be overlooked :)
I say this only as a friendly advice of a forumster who stumbled across this myself.

On 11/7/2018 at 1:04 AM, Jim Monson said:

Why not CMD/OPT to go from sharp to smooth, or something like that.

The good news is you can already do this by not using any modifier key at all. To turn any node from sharp to smooth you simply drag with the Pen Tool outward and the handles appear. Is this what you are looking for?

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.238

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 8/21/2014 at 1:49 PM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

The future (of digital graphics) is bright!

31 minutes ago, Pixla said:

I wish I could see some sort of timestamp on the first post, as to when it was last edited. Surely, it wasn't 2014?

The thread was started in 2014. It was probably last edited when version 1.6 was released.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It was probably last edited when version 1.6 was released.

The word 'probably' being the operative word here. 

And that's the word I'd like to take out of the equation.

Just now, Pixla said:

The word 'probably' being the operative word here. 

And that's the word I'd like to take out of the equation.

Me too! I was mainly responding to your ‘Surely, it wasn’t 2014?’ to say ‘No, it wasn’t, but it might have been as long as a year ago.’

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 11/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, dominik said:

The good news is you can already do this by not using any modifier key at all. To turn any node from sharp to smooth you simply drag with the Pen Tool outward and the handles appear. Is this what you are looking for?  d.

Thanks, Dominik. Your response (above) is why I would like a modifier key since I have had to change to the Pen tool and then drag and then go back to my other work. A modifier key would solve this. I work much faster with shortcuts than going back and forth to various tools. Here's hoping. Good advice. I'll create a new post on this topic.

4 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

Thanks, Dominik. Your response (above) is why I would like a modifier key since I have had to change to the Pen tool and then drag and then go back to my other work. A modifier key would solve this. I work much faster with shortcuts than going back and forth to various tools. Here's hoping. Good advice. I'll create a new post on this topic.

Hi @Jim Monson,

sorry, perhaps I do not entirely understand your request. My assumption was that while working with the pen tool you want to change a node from sharp to smooth. Then the 'no modifier key' works. Together with which tool do you need a modifier key?

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.238

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Please deliver on the promise of better line width control. Apparently, it was promised to be developed in 2015, almost 4 years later no implementation is in sight. I just can't understand why the focus is on a lot of obscure niche tools when such a fundamental tool as fine line control is still missing. Pressure graph is extremely fiddly and limited for complex cases.

Feature request: 

Thread with tons of discussion and suggestion from 2014:

I was so close to finally ditching Adobe. Ain't gonna happen anytime soon it seems. 

Hi,

I downloaded the beta and looked to see if lines with arrows were a new feature...

But 4 full years and we are still missing this simplest of functionality:

--> Arrow head line styles

May I please ask will this ever be implemented? I hate using shapes arrows (there is a place for them but not as the ends of lines) and I don't like using line styles (or whatever they are called) to try and emulate such a seemingly simple thing. Since I need them a lot I have to use other programs instead of AFD because for simple lines with arrow heads.

Please can we get them?

Thanks,

John...

Arrowheads is vital for my work as well. I have produced a lot for content in Inkscape with this feature and it doesn't import. You can't produce curved or dashed lines with the arrowhead tool limiting its usefulness.

While I'm at it, it would be really great to see ellipse arcs that can be edited as well. You can get someway there with the Pie tool but again no dashed lines, arcs cannot be imported from Inkscape and no arrowheads (when this feature appears).

I bought Designer because I was so impressed with the speed and functionality of Photo and assumed that it would similarly have all the standard tools in place. Now it is going to have to sit on the shelf for another year while I struggle along with Inkscape. It is such as shame as Designer is so much better than Inkscape in so many ways and I really want to use it.

Hi everyone,
When requesting new features, please create a new thread in the Suggestions for Affinity Designer on Desktop thread (one request/feature per thread). This one is only for discussing features listed in the roadmap. New feature requests may get lost here. Thanks.

3 hours ago, JoeyP said:

Any eta on the next update and what may be included from the roadmap?

I don't know the exact date for the release of the 1.7 version (probably in the next few weeks, but don't quote me on that), but I can tell you that you can cross the following features from the list:

• Bleed area guides
  • Text features including Bullets and Numbering

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

27 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I don't know the exact date for the release of the 1.7 version (probably in the next few weeks, but don't quote me on that), but I can tell you that you can cross the following features from the list:

• Bleed area guides
  • Text features including Bullets and Numbering

Best regards!

I would say a bit later than that and (hopefully) so we can add some more from the roadmap into forthcoming beta builds first. :D  

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I would say a bit later than that

So, months rather than weeks? :/

Alfred online2long.gif