TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

@annaisabel did you find that feature you wanted? I'm familiar with the technique in Photoshop but being in L*A*B it's a little over my pay grade.

However, if you hit the Curves adjustment and switch to LAB, there is a "picker" you can use and you can operate on all three channels or any one.

As I recall, there was a tutorial using a wedding dress that was ever-so-slightly off white and the guy used LAB to correct for that. Very clever stuff. Does this help? 

See how you can take a sample in LAB, RGB, CMYK, etc. and have multiple samples running? Pretty sweet.

Capture.PNG

On 10/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, Patrick Connor said:

Please don't use this thread to argue about the purpose of this thread, I think we can all agree that is not it's purpose!

Just as an FYI, the Publisher roadmap that will be available to read after we start selling Affinity Publisher will be a locked thread..... with instructions to make new threads for suggestions and bugs. We may use the release of 1.7 to make new roadmap threads for all applications and lock them all (with links to the earlier ones like this thread would be my preference). 

I suggest don't even post a roadmap. What's the point? Just say we got some exciting things coming in our next release a couple of months before. (secrecy keeps you guessing and wanting more-knowing and not fulfilling is torture) Posting a 5 year roadmap doesn't leave users a whole lot of hope. 

On 8/21/2014 at 5:49 AM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Illustration & Design

-Pages : Do you refer to have pages for every art board, so you can only display the layers belong to it ?

On 9/21/2018 at 9:30 AM, fde101 said:

If it were a normal font, I wouldn't expect it ¬¬

I would think this more likely a lack of support for color fonts (guessing SVG fonts)?

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, marcdraco said:

@annaisabel did you find that feature you wanted? I'm familiar with the technique in Photoshop but being in L*A*B it's a little over my pay grade.

However, if you hit the Curves adjustment and switch to LAB, there is a "picker" you can use and you can operate on all three channels or any one.

As I recall, there was a tutorial using a wedding dress that was ever-so-slightly off white and the guy used LAB to correct for that. Very clever stuff. Does this help? 

See how you can take a sample in LAB, RGB, CMYK, etc. and have multiple samples running? Pretty sweet.

Capture.PNG

I definitely did not know about this! I'll try it out! Thanks :)

Any chance of a clone tool? eg: create a rectangle colour it red - create multiple clones - change colour of original rectangle to blue - all the clones change too.

Sorry - forgot to add - save a document as a template so that if you've set up a specific grid and/or guidelines, you can use it for a future document?

On 10/23/2018 at 4:52 AM, MEB said:

Hi mrdzyn,
The Betas for the next 1.7 versions (Designer & Photo) should start in a couple weeks and the release version(s) should be out  before the end of this year (2018).

Well I'll be double damned. With Publisher still in beta, I thought it would take more time than that. I look forward to seeing the newest updates.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

is there any plans to incorporate any collaboration aspects into any of the product line?

Network storage of files instead of saving locally. Multiple users editing the same file at the same time. Real time collaboration. Anything of the sorts? @MEB @TonyB

I see there are a lot of people asking for some really useful features to be added to various serif products.

I have a question. Obviously Serif hasnt hit full market saturation yet and there is an incentive for them to continue to make the product better to sell more copies. There is also a point where diminishing returns set in, or when demand evaporates, etc. My question is - how will Serif continue to fund the future development of the products? 

We have all purchased the products, how can we expect new features added or bugs fixed when there are no (not enough to justify the cost) new sales ... you get my point.

With Serifs old product line - I see multiple new versions were released. Did serif give you free upgrades to the existing line but charge an upgrade fee to go from version to version? Is that what we can expect here? Affinity version 1 for a few years, then version 2 for an upgrade fee, etc.

3 minutes ago, someguy said:

...With Serifs old product line - I see multiple new versions were released. Did serif give you free upgrades to the existing line but charge an upgrade fee to go from version to version? Is that what we can expect here? Affinity version 1 for a few years, then version 2 for an upgrade fee, etc.

Yes. All incremental updates are free, major version number changes will incur cost.

Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Any news on the Blend tool option? It's been 4 years since this roadmap... This is a feature I use often in Illustrator. I've been using AD for a year now, but I still find myself having to go back to Illustrator to do certain things. I cannot give up on Adobe until all my needs are met by AD, so still paying subscription every month, but using AD most of the time. :(

And the ability to use power duplicate with transform panel options instead of just with alt+drag.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, MikeK36 said:

Any chance of a clone tool? eg: create a rectangle colour it red - create multiple clones - change colour of original rectangle to blue - all the clones change too.

Sorry - forgot to add - save a document as a template so that if you've set up a specific grid and/or guidelines, you can use it for a future document?

You can already do that. Turn your rectangle into a symbol, then duplicate. Then, any changes to one will affect them all

On 10/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, Markcq said:

And the ability to use power duplicate with transform panel options instead of just with alt+drag.

We can already do that. Duplicate the selected object with Ctrl+J (or Cmd+J on a Mac) and then transform the new copy as desired: the next duplicate will have the same transformation applied.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

6 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

We can already do that. Duplicate the selected object with Ctrl+J (or Cmd+J on a Mac) and then transform the new copy as desired: the next duplicate will have the same transformation applied.

This is interesting! Users of many different programs on Mac/Win and apps on iPad requesting functionally that is already there, because modern people can't read manuals anymore (rant and ironic) ;-)

13 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

This is interesting! Users of many different programs on Mac/Win and apps on iPad requesting functionally that is already there, because modern people can't read manuals anymore (rant and ironic)

The Affinity applications, though, don't really have manuals. (They have the workbooks, which are not really manuals, and may not explain everything.)

They do have what I consider a reasonable Help system (though many seem to avoid looking at it :) ) but the problem with that is finding the right search term.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

yes, I know Cmd+J and it works fantastically if you use alt+drag to make the duplicate... I like to use the transform panel to make my transformations, but if I'm going to alt+drag, then I don't have the control I want when I would make the adjustments with the transform panel. In Illustrator there is a feature that allows me to transform while making copies and and a preview to see whether it is what I'm looking for.

So, take a shape, cmd+c, then cmd+v, then make transformations (move, scale, skew)... then cmd+J. THAT does not work... THAT is the feature that I would love to see implemented. Not a rant... Just a request.

19 minutes ago, Markcq said:

So, take a shape, cmd+c, then cmd+v, then make transformations (move, scale, skew)... then cmd+J. THAT does not work...

No, that doesn’t work because the first two steps are copying and pasting instead of duplicating. Select the original shape, press Cmd+J and then make transformations. When you press Cmd+J several more times, the same transformations will be applied repeatedly.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

8 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

No, that doesn’t work because the first two steps are copying and pasting instead of duplicating. Select the original shape, press Cmd+J and then make transformations. When you press Cmd+J several more times, the same transformations will be applied repeatedly.

THANKS! Now why doesn't anyone else say so. I spend days searching online. Now I'm a happy chappie again. :D

1 hour ago, Markcq said:

THANKS! Now why doesn't anyone else say so. I spend days searching online. Now I'm a happy chappie again. :D

The Affinity Designer Help for Duplicating Objects says that :) (but it is not as easy to find as it should be).

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 and 1.7.1.390 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.384 Beta