TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

31 minutes ago, upendra169 said:

How Sad that even after 4 years you didn't implement 50% of features.

How do you know that? Do you have the roadmap from four years ago in front of you to compare?

1 hour ago, upendra169 said:

How Sad that even after 4 years you didn't implement 50% of features.

Please read the first post before commenting:

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

5 minutes ago, Iulian Onofrei said:

Please read the first post before commenting:

As I commented a month ago:

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 6/30/2018 at 10:02 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Iulian Onofrei

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It is very unlikely that anyone will go through the feature request post updating them if a feature is added to the software or the roadmap list, sorry.

At the top of all threads there is a "follow" button (it may be at the bottom on mobiles). Also any thread that you post into is added to your interests, but having said that the Roadmap thread is an odd beast, in that the original post gets edited when items are added or removed. Editing a post does not notify the people who follow it. So that is not ideal. I will make sure that when the roadmap thread is edited, a new post is added to the bottom to say what was removed (when a feature is added in a patch) or added (if we add any more to the 1.x roadmap). That way there will be a record of the changes and a notification to the followers.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, Aammppaa said:

@petrpastor & @rui_mac  Both Replicate and Blend are already on the Roadmap.

Too bad @Patrick Connor's message wasn't followed.

3 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

As I commented a month ago ...

I am not sure how well the strikethrough thing would work in practice because some things that have appeared on the roadmap have not been very specific, for instance "Guides and grid improvements." Striking that out would imply there will be no more improvements to those features.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Striking that out would imply there will be no more improvements to those features.

It seems to me that strikethough would merely indicate, as complete removal from the list currently does, that the item in question has been dealt with in some way. I don’t think anyone should infer that there will be no further improvements in that area.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t think anyone should infer that there will be no further improvements in that area.

I don't think anyone should infer that either, but I also think that some definitely would. That would likely result in some confusion & a few posts asking for clarification. That would be one more thing for the moderators to decide if they need to respond to.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't think anyone should infer that either, but I also think that some definitely would. That would likely result in some confusion & a few posts asking for clarification. That would be one more thing for the moderators to decide if they need to respond to.

Yes, but ... doesn’t the same apply if something is taken off the list, as at present?

Alfred online2long.gif

27 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, but ... doesn’t the same apply if something is taken off the list, as at present?

I don't think so. Once something is removed, it no longer implies anything because it is not there.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I don't think so. Once something is removed, it no longer implies anything because it is not there.

@TonyB wrote:

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

So when a feature is removed from the list, the implication is that it has been completed and released. Leaving it on the list but striking it out would imply the same thing.

Alfred online2long.gif

21 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

So when a feature is removed from the list, the implication is that it has been completed and released.

For those who remember exactly what it said, maybe so. But I don't think very many people do, & even among them only some will infer anything from the removal. After all, the list is not even meant to be inclusive; it is just a list of the features on their internal roadmap they have decided to share with users.

51 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

@TonyB wrote:

So when a feature is removed from the list, the implication is that it has been completed and released. Leaving it on the list but striking it out would imply the same thing.

But if you strike it through and leave it on the list then add something in its place then the list will get longer ------- adding even more to the confusion O.o

24 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

But if you strike it through and leave it on the list then add something in its place then the list will get longer ------- adding even more to the confusion O.o

Yes, the list will get longer in the physical sense of taking up more screen space, but the number of ‘to do’ items on the list will not increase. Strikethrough, accompanied by a note of the form “(Implemented YYYY/MM/DD)”, should add clarity rather than confusion.

Alfred online2long.gif

21 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, the list will get longer in the physical sense of taking up more screen space, but the number of ‘to do’ items on the list will not increase. Strikethrough, accompanied by a note of the form “(Implemented YYYY/MM/DD)”, should add clarity rather than confusion.

Ah, yes alfred - it would be the note that accompanied the strikethrough that would make all the difference ....... much better than just a strikethrough or a complete 'disappearance'.

4 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

Ah, yes alfred - it would be the note that accompanied the strikethrough that would make all the difference ....... much better than just a strikethrough or a complete 'disappearance'.

Quite so, Ian, which is why I originally wrote:

On 7/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

With hindsight it might have been better if they hadn’t adopted the “list will never get longer” approach. It’s fine to limit the number of listed “to do” items, but implemented features could simply have been left on the list and struck through (perhaps with a version number and/or date added).

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said “perhaps” (and in a parenthetical remark, too). Isn’t hindsight wonderful!

Alfred online2long.gif

21 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Unless I am missing something, there is only one roadmap for each desktop app, not separate ones for the Windows & Mac versions. I assume you mean the implementation date should be the date of release of the update to the app that included the new feature (or existing feature improvement), but whatever it represents this means for some features there could be two different implementation dates, one for each platform, & potentially more depending on which store the app comes from. I think this could become very confusing, at least to many users.

Regardless, I don't much like the idea of the roadmaps in effect becoming an ever lengthening 'brag list' of already added features mixed in with the ones they plan to add before v2.0 is released. If some people don't get the reason for the 'never get longer' idea, or even that it is just a selection of features from their internal roadmap, so be it. That is their problem to deal with, not Serif's.

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Unless I am missing something, there is only one roadmap for each desktop app, not separate ones for the Windows & Mac versions. I assume you mean the implementation date should be the date of release of the update to the app that included the new feature (or existing feature improvement), but whatever it represents this means for some features there could be two different implementation dates, one for each platform, & potentially more depending on which store the app comes from. I think this could become very confusing, at least to many users.

No, you’re not missing anything. I overlooked those ‘minor’ details! I originally wrote ‘version number and/or date added’, but in the light of your observations I can see that just the version number would be better.

Alfred online2long.gif

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

... but in the light of your observations I can see that just the version number would be better.

Which ones? There would be at least two, one for Macs & another for Windows. But there are also those "pk"  product key versions to consider. 

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Which ones? There would be at least two, one for Macs & another for Windows. But there are also those "pk"  product key versions to consider. 

Any or all of the above, as applicable. :)

Alfred online2long.gif

On 9/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, PeanutsA said:

Except it, uhm, won't! What it so confusing about a long list?

On 11/20/2014 at 10:13 AM, buschbrand said:

I love you guys, really. As an enthusiastic FreeHand user I needed just one day to love Affinity Designer. It's fast, it's smart and it's simple AND powerful. Hold on doing what you do! Big up and big respect from the other side of the sea!

Hold on. You're using A**** FreeHand?

3 hours ago, Iulian Onofrei said:

What it so confusing about a long list?

Considering that the list was never intended to be comprehensive to begin with (it is "a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users"), that its intended purpose was only to allow people to post questions about that selected list of as yet unimplemented features, & what has been posted to it since then, I would say that just about everything about making it longer & more comprehensive would be confusing.

On 8/21/2014 at 12:49 PM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

Hello @TonyB coming back to this request about Replica/Blend on ADesigner; consider the technic in the linked video as one of the many i would like Affinity Replica/Blend capable of doing; i believe many here will really like to be able to do the same too.
But please make it Serif Affinity style and not just a copy of what already exist somewhere else.
Blessings !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKmr2HF1WQ

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

On 9/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, R C-R said:

Considering that the list was never intended to be comprehensive to begin with (it is "a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users"), that its intended purpose was only to allow people to post questions about that selected list of as yet unimplemented features, & what has been posted to it since then, I would say that just about everything about making it longer & more comprehensive would be confusing.

I've had email updates from this list since the forum launched, but that was so long ago I had to re-create my account in order to comment.  (Not sure how I've been receiving email updates without an active account, but whatever.  Anyway…)

I think the roadmap would be better executed as a forum/sub-forum with admin-only permissions to create items and a subscribe-able summary post (like an index) at top.  If each roadmap item was created as a pinned topic underneath and linked in the index, it would allow for much more organized conversation of each topic.  Also it would make conversations easier to follow for frequent users and easier to catch up on for those of us who don’t have the time.

Then when each item is marked off the list, the summary post could be updated, the relevant topic could be un-pinned and marked complete, and a new topic could be created for the next item on the list.  This would have the advantage of avoiding the erroneous disappointment (and resulting meta/OT discussion) that the current system tends to result in.

I realize this would take a few minutes to set up and require the existing user base to adjust.  But honestly, keeping up with this one multi-threaded conversation where the first post keeps changing over time is a big reason I haven't bothered to participate.  It's just too much work to keep up and even harder to join from scratch.  A more structured system ultimately would be better all-around.