TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

On 8/21/2014 at 12:49 PM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

Hi @TonyB a update on this? 

Where do we stand since 2014 when you posted this great and nice list? 

Only want to know more about the global progression

Never be the Same Again !
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - VIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6  - Affinity Designer + Affinity Photo + Affinity Publisher + Snagit 2019 + Camtasia 2018 + Movavi Video Editor Business 15

26 minutes ago, Arnaud Mez said:

Where do we stand since 2014 when you posted this great and nice list? 

That's not the list that was posted in 2014. That is the current roadmap of features that the developers currently intend to implement before version 2. Many things that were on the list back in 2014 are now in the app and so they don't appear in the list now.

12 minutes ago, owenr said:

That's not the list that was posted in 2014. That is the current roadmap of features that the developers currently intend to implement before version 2. Many things that were on the list back in 2014 are now in the app and so they don't appear in the list now.

With hindsight it might have been better if they hadn’t adopted the “list will never get longer” approach. It’s fine to limit the number of listed “to do” items, but implemented features could simply have been left on the list and struck through (perhaps with a version number and/or date added).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Would it be ok for us to create a r/affinitydesignerrequests subreddit, where people can post their requests, and other people can upvote them, so we get a feel of what are the most requested features at the end of a week/month/year? We could add labels to posts later on like "in production", or "in roadmap"/"in development", etc. Pretty much like https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests but for free.

I am asking this because I'm new to affinity, and I come from Figma which has really frequent updates and they are very transparent about them (you can take a look here https://figmareleases.blogspot.com/, while their feature requests are made on https://spectrum.chat/figma). This was very useful for me at the time because I'd be able to understand how frequently they would tackle things. Since my understanding is that ETAs are very flexible on Affinity, i think this would be a nice way for Designer's users to have a notion of what features to expect next. Also, it will ease new users' understanding of how the product evolves.

Bad idea?

11 hours ago, stklauz said:

Would it be ok for us to create a r/affinitydesignerrequests subreddit, where people can post their requests, and other people can upvote them, so we get a feel of what are the most requested features at the end of a week/month/year? We could add labels to posts later on like "in production", or "in roadmap"/"in development", etc. Pretty much like https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests but for free.

I am asking this because I'm new to affinity, and I come from Figma which has really frequent updates and they are very transparent about them (you can take a look here https://figmareleases.blogspot.com/, while their feature requests are made on https://spectrum.chat/figma). This was very useful for me at the time because I'd be able to understand how frequently they would tackle things. Since my understanding is that ETAs are very flexible on Affinity, i think this would be a nice way for Designer's users to have a notion of what features to expect next. Also, it will ease new users' understanding of how the product evolves.

Bad idea?

From my experience by reading this forum for some time I find the Affinity team is very transparent about certain things, which I personally highly appriciate. And there are things they do not offer a voting system for. Because they think it is up the the team itself to set priorities. I do accept this decision wholeheartedly.

Why? Because software development is not a dream (or wish) come true thing. There are so many dependencies, only an insider of the team can know, understand and decide. The knowledge about some most requested features is only to some extent of value. And the forums here give a pretty good idea of what is most requested. Why put time and energy into a second way of giving feedback, when such a good one is already here?

I do not mean that the way other companies have decided to interact with their users is wrong or less good. I mean that the Affinity team has decided to do it this way and we can happily use it right away.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.249

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Not long ago, it was gently explained by some company member a detailed response about "voting", and how this being a private company, doesn't work this way, even less in just a forum...

Plus, while I do agree with almost all in Dominik's post, I'd disagree with both of you in a specific point:  IMHO,  that would not make you really know (not even by far) the general needs or desires of the majority of users (and/or potential users) , by reading some opinions of votes of the people keen on posting requests in a forum, or even participating in a forum poll. This is not like a small open source community. The actual user base I suspect is huge, specially, counting on the ones in the edge of buying.  Doing just some math... In forum polls, is often a result of 60 votes vs 120 as much (sometimes even 20 to 30...in general numbers, that would require the typical FX of bushes rolling in an abandoned far west village).... about a feature, or whatever, in many forums from other brands. There's no way to establish a solid stat from what you see in a forum, to the crazily larger mass of actual customers, who often don't even care about forums. Even more these times, when forums are getting old as a medium, just like email. Lots of people are getting to use mainly twitter, facebook (or less this one, lately) , WhatsApp, instagram and a lot other newer social media.  Even if forums were more trendy, there's no reliable way to establish solid stats by extrapolation, by such a small sample compared to the mass of buyers. I don't work here as to know any number, but with all the articles and posts praising Affinity as a cloud alternative, since long now, I'd be to think it has quite a large number of customers already, and maybe also very large the amount of people very in the edge of purchasing licenses, and maybe not doing so for A or B feature or needed fix (not due to the money, but for the workflows migration, obviously).

If is decided whatever by a forum poll, you are surely leaving out the vast majority of users.  Heck, even if the company decided to make a push mail of those asking to their customers (and with recent privacy laws (GDPR, etc) about it, dunno if that easy or possible...) what set of features they want... maybe a lot wouldn't see it as they don't use mail regularly, or used an email address just for forms, or would be busy, or whatever. Unless the majority of them would reply (extremely unlikely), you would not have a number solid enough. And this would leave out all the potential customers. (which maybe is an even bigger number!, and surely impossible to estimate, even by them)

I know sometimes companies do this, but XD has been even made free. They have almost a lost battle there, so they gotta play extremely nice there. Consider that pure promotion strategy, even if desperate. Why I say this ? Remember, not that I dislike Adobe products: They are my favorite! I may dislike their latest decisions, but that's all... So when I say XD is in a bit of complex position is because, besides the tools for UI/UX are becoming crazily saturated , with good solutions,  Sketch and Invision (even the mentioned Figma might have more followers than XD, now ...and it's free!)  obviously dominate the market. Every guru, every pro, every course, use these as a reference, one or the other (typically those working as UI teams, seems often prefer Invision. There's also the OS issue). And while for UI/UX the crown has been mostly Sketch's, Invision is coming really strong. And a bunch prefer just to work directly with Webflow (a lot of freelancers, even if I would never go that route, but I can see it has many advantages), or even the old good way, as I did during decades, with PS and/or AI (I could personally do this with the current AP/AD), make the concepts, final implementation, chop and do the code.

So, I would be wary of some decision apparently generous: I don't see Adobe making generous voting polls about all of their features for PS or After Effects. It's too critical, the apps way too complex, and as Dominik says, those decisions are better taken by the ones in "the machines room", who really know the deal. And of course, by the other ones, those who put all the money and risk on the  table.  Also, about timing and features.... Really, to gain patience with these things, it helps a lot having worked at a bunch of general software, web and game development companies. Everything has the potential of becoming and enormous issue, and every issue, the potential of clogging a lot of the next steps in development. Reason why, is not so easy to put a rigid estimate. They'd be the first ones interested in that being that easy, also as then they could both save money in production, and also earn a lot more, and faster. I mean, I yet to work at one with that kind of magic wand. Some times, for tasks and challenges where a specific team has an outstanding experience, and are KNOWN problems, (usually never the case with technology, where all is innovation, and challenges every minute) for which there are known solutions, then yep, you can more or less reliably set a delivery date written in stone... But most of the cases the people in charge must take a risk, make a wild estimation, and surely add some extra time more, just in case.... Murphy's laws do work really well in this type of business, in all what I have been able to see... mostly in my poor mates, as I have coded very little, as a graphics and web cr4p guy...

They kind of catch a feel, a very valid feedback from here, surely also detect new bugs, or even get inspired for solutions of current bugs, etc, etc. And that is extremely positive for any company, at least from the ones I can remember. But there's a bit of a jump to go from there to vote the direction and management of a company (as what feature to implement next, or fix, is deciding all their chain of work, IMO....)...they don't owe that to us. You go to the local mall, and you buy what you like, but don't vote how company A has to decorate the butter boxes... you buy 'em or not... Bad example, but u get the idea.... ;) 

If they would like the idea, vote polls from company members would have been appearing all over the place since always, as a habit, and you see none... If that wasn't enough clue, very recently someone requested a vote system for some other thing, and was, extremely kindly and politely -as always here- suggested that this is not the path (not with these words, can't remember the exact wording, and also, I'm not that polite, anyway... ;)   ).

One day we might find the surprise of seeing a poll, because in some very specific case, they'd find that convenient, but imo, as any similar thing, is their call, must come from them....I would in general avoid to keep suggesting tho stuff that has been already addressed several times, and obtained an answer from the company.... (I guess it is fine for people that are not usually around, and if the specific answer is not set inside one of the sticky, pinned threads.

Is only my 2c (so: All the above counts as nothing, zero. I don't have a say, here.)... I don't have a single clue about the company's position about it, but I have a reasonable idea of what would that be...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

12 hours ago, stklauz said:

Since my understanding is that ETAs are very flexible on Affinity, i think this would be a nice way for Designer's users to have a notion of what features to expect next.

Huh? You just said you know the ETA's are very flexible, which means there is no way to know what feature will arrive next. :S

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

16 hours ago, stklauz said:

really frequent updates and they are very transparent about them

@stklauz - This link should find many of the final Affinity update/release note posts (not including the many beta releases), including dates released, although not in exact order - based on date of last comment instead. The full forum, including these posts, is here.

This post lists current releases and links to most of the previous release notes for the current sub-number releases.

The feature request posts already number in the thousands, you can find them here and add your contribution to any feature threads that particularly appeal to you. You can sort any sub-forum by number of replies or number of views.

23 hours ago, SrPx said:

There's no way to establish a solid stat from what you see in a forum, to the crazily larger mass of actual customers, who often don't even care about forums. Even more these times, when forums are getting old as a medium, just like email. Lots of people are getting to use mainly twitter, facebook (or less this one, lately) , WhatsApp, instagram and a lot other newer social media.

@SrPx,

you make a point there.

There will never be THE one solution to find out what will be the best (development) move to reach the most customers. This is special knowledge mixed with intuition and a broad research in many places.

Still I believe that a post that consists of several composed sentences (and thoughts) which needs a certain amount of dedication to write them down in a forum (or any other medium) are of more value than just one single (quick) click in a poll or a Like system.

They kind of catch a feel, a very valid feedback from here, surely also detect new bugs, or even get inspired for solutions of current bugs, etc, etc.

To 'catch a feel' by doing a research across many discussions and places/media is a good way to describe on how the feedback process can work for both sides :)

d.

Edited by dominik
typo

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 (beta 1.7.0.243) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.249

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

On 7/30/2018 at 1:58 AM, SrPx said:

Not long ago, it was gently explained by some company member a detailed response about "voting", and how this being a private company, doesn't work this way, even less in just a forum...

Plus, while I do agree with almost all in Dominik's post, I'd disagree with both of you in a specific point:  IMHO,  that would not make you really know (not even by far) the general needs or desires of the majority of users (and/or potential users) , by reading some opinions of votes of the people keen on posting requests in a forum, or even participating in a forum poll. This is not like a small open source community. The actual user base I suspect is huge, specially, counting on the ones in the edge of buying.  Doing just some math... In forum polls, is often a result of 60 votes vs 120 as much (sometimes even 20 to 30...in general numbers, that would require the typical FX of bushes rolling in an abandoned far west village).... about a feature, or whatever, in many forums from other brands. There's no way to establish a solid stat from what you see in a forum, to the crazily larger mass of actual customers, who often don't even care about forums. Even more these times, when forums are getting old as a medium, just like email. Lots of people are getting to use mainly twitter, facebook (or less this one, lately) , WhatsApp, instagram and a lot other newer social media.  Even if forums were more trendy, there's no reliable way to establish solid stats by extrapolation, by such a small sample compared to the mass of buyers. I don't work here as to know any number, but with all the articles and posts praising Affinity as a cloud alternative, since long now, I'd be to think it has quite a large number of customers already, and maybe also very large the amount of people very in the edge of purchasing licenses, and maybe not doing so for A or B feature or needed fix (not due to the money, but for the workflows migration, obviously).

If is decided whatever by a forum poll, you are surely leaving out the vast majority of users.  Heck, even if the company decided to make a push mail of those asking to their customers (and with recent privacy laws (GDPR, etc) about it, dunno if that easy or possible...) what set of features they want... maybe a lot wouldn't see it as they don't use mail regularly, or used an email address just for forms, or would be busy, or whatever. Unless the majority of them would reply (extremely unlikely), you would not have a number solid enough. And this would leave out all the potential customers. (which maybe is an even bigger number!, and surely impossible to estimate, even by them)

I know sometimes companies do this, but XD has been even made free. They have almost a lost battle there, so they gotta play extremely nice there. Consider that pure promotion strategy, even if desperate. Why I say this ? Remember, not that I dislike Adobe products: They are my favorite! I may dislike their latest decisions, but that's all... So when I say XD is in a bit of complex position is because, besides the tools for UI/UX are becoming crazily saturated , with good solutions,  Sketch and Invision (even the mentioned Figma might have more followers than XD, now ...and it's free!)  obviously dominate the market. Every guru, every pro, every course, use these as a reference, one or the other (typically those working as UI teams, seems often prefer Invision. There's also the OS issue). And while for UI/UX the crown has been mostly Sketch's, Invision is coming really strong. And a bunch prefer just to work directly with Webflow (a lot of freelancers, even if I would never go that route, but I can see it has many advantages), or even the old good way, as I did during decades, with PS and/or AI (I could personally do this with the current AP/AD), make the concepts, final implementation, chop and do the code.

So, I would be wary of some decision apparently generous: I don't see Adobe making generous voting polls about all of their features for PS or After Effects. It's too critical, the apps way too complex, and as Dominik says, those decisions are better taken by the ones in "the machines room", who really know the deal. And of course, by the other ones, those who put all the money and risk on the  table.  Also, about timing and features.... Really, to gain patience with these things, it helps a lot having worked at a bunch of general software, web and game development companies. Everything has the potential of becoming and enormous issue, and every issue, the potential of clogging a lot of the next steps in development. Reason why, is not so easy to put a rigid estimate. They'd be the first ones interested in that being that easy, also as then they could both save money in production, and also earn a lot more, and faster. I mean, I yet to work at one with that kind of magic wand. Some times, for tasks and challenges where a specific team has an outstanding experience, and are KNOWN problems, (usually never the case with technology, where all is innovation, and challenges every minute) for which there are known solutions, then yep, you can more or less reliably set a delivery date written in stone... But most of the cases the people in charge must take a risk, make a wild estimation, and surely add some extra time more, just in case.... Murphy's laws do work really well in this type of business, in all what I have been able to see... mostly in my poor mates, as I have coded very little, as a graphics and web cr4p guy...

They kind of catch a feel, a very valid feedback from here, surely also detect new bugs, or even get inspired for solutions of current bugs, etc, etc. And that is extremely positive for any company, at least from the ones I can remember. But there's a bit of a jump to go from there to vote the direction and management of a company (as what feature to implement next, or fix, is deciding all their chain of work, IMO....)...they don't owe that to us. You go to the local mall, and you buy what you like, but don't vote how company A has to decorate the butter boxes... you buy 'em or not... Bad example, but u get the idea.... ;) 

If they would like the idea, vote polls from company members would have been appearing all over the place since always, as a habit, and you see none... If that wasn't enough clue, very recently someone requested a vote system for some other thing, and was, extremely kindly and politely -as always here- suggested that this is not the path (not with these words, can't remember the exact wording, and also, I'm not that polite, anyway... ;)   ).

One day we might find the surprise of seeing a poll, because in some very specific case, they'd find that convenient, but imo, as any similar thing, is their call, must come from them....I would in general avoid to keep suggesting tho stuff that has been already addressed several times, and obtained an answer from the company.... (I guess it is fine for people that are not usually around, and if the specific answer is not set inside one of the sticky, pinned threads.

Is only my 2c (so: All the above counts as nothing, zero. I don't have a say, here.)... I don't have a single clue about the company's position about it, but I have a reasonable idea of what would that be...

I barely understood what you said here. Ugh. You could try to keep the sentences shorter and don't interrupt them with very long off-topic texts between parentheses.

That is actually very true. I wish I could argue, but I can't , lol. And happens also in my own language. So I guess is just general malfunction. Or that I try to give too much info in the smaller time possible.

So, yeah, I can only agree with that.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

Replicate feature in edit menu

I would really appreciate addition of "replicate " feature in edit menu as it was in serif legacy products.

see:

image.png.454be5f06561faa5e53a787c2e54e85d.png

This will really speed up workflow where you need multiple copies of art-board (e.g. static label layout for print). Ctrl Draging into position of lats say 48 copies is tedious.

-pp-

24 minutes ago, petrpastor said:

I would really appreciate addition of "replicate " feature in edit menu as it was in serif legacy products.

Although we can’t create a grid of copies of an object in one fell swoop, the ‘power duplicate’ feature in the Affinity apps makes it easy to create a row of evenly spaced copies of the original object and then create evenly spaced copies of that row.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Although we can’t create a grid of copies of an object in one fell swoop, the ‘power duplicate’ feature in the Affinity apps makes it easy to create a row of evenly spaced copies of the original object and then create evenly spaced copies of that row.

I want to second Alfred's suggestion to look into 'power duplicate'. While I find the idea of 'replicate' interesting it is currently not available. For me 'power duplicate' works quite well :)

d.

@rui_macBlend tool is on my personal roadmap, before "PRESIDENT OF UNIVERSE" tool, and various "too-inappropriate-to-mention" personal conquests tool. Stay tuned for Personal Roadmap 2.0. Things will get really crazy with the 2.0.