TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

30 minutes ago, jenda said:

Hello, I would like to have the possibility of adding columns in the text frame and also to connect them with each-other. 

This is an Affinity Publisher feature :)

Am I right in thinking that Affinity Designer still has no mesh warp/distort, that was on the 2014 roadmap? How about a simple 4-corner pin/distort tool - it doesn't seem to have that either. I've been using Illustrator for decades, and hate it, especially its ridiculous "free distort" tools, so was hoping Designer would have something better, but it looks like I'm out of luck. Unless I'm mistaken? I've only used the demo for about 10 minutes!

If it’s still on the roadmap it hasn’t been implemented yet; everything that has been implemented is taken off the list in the first post. But to answer your question: yes, ther eis no mesh warp/distortion tool yet.

5 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

If it’s still on the roadmap it hasn’t been implemented yet; everything that has been implemented is taken off the list in the first post. But to answer your question: yes, ther eis no mesh warp/distortion tool yet.

Oh that's very disappointing. The failings of Adobe Illustrator's pathetic Free Distort are what first drove me to Affinity Designer. I assumed it would have this; it's essential to my workflow, and without it, sadly I won't be buying Affinity Designer, despite it feeling like a proper, modern app, unlike Illustrator which feels like some awful, cobbled-together, inconsistent, semi-abandoned piece of 1990s-CD-on-a-magazine-crapware.

I don't suppose Affinity has some kind of "upvoting" thing for feature requests?

27 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Affinity has some kind of "upvoting" thing for feature requests?

Internally Serif has. 

Pauly, please simply give your +1 here and/or here and/or here …, and things will accelerate.

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

I don't suppose Affinity has some kind of "upvoting" thing for feature requests?

No, not really. The developers do consider all feature requests but they also must consider how much time it would take to add & integrate each of them into the Affinity apps (both existing & in development), how that would affect existing & other planned features; if they would require any changes to the native file format to support; their effect on memory use & rendering/redraw speed; how best to support them for imports from & exports to other formats; & so on.

Since the Affinity apps are developed from an entirely new code base & intended to integrate seamlessly with each other across multiple platforms, it can take much longer than one might otherwise expect to add features regardless of how much they or users might want them.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.9.81 & Affinity Designer 1.6..2.24 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.0

Warp / distort tool is already planned for 1.x according to current roadmap.  

1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

Warp / distort tool is already planned for 1.x according to current roadmap.  

Oooh I hope that's not too far off. There are SO MANY annoying things on Illustrator that just make me want to scream, and having used the demo of Affinity Designer for all of 10 minutes, I love it! In Designer, I opened up the Illustrator file I've been working on, and all the layers were there, all the placed images, everything - it was brilliant!

On 5/22/2018 at 9:13 AM, Pauly said:

Oooh I hope that's not too far off. There are SO MANY annoying things on Illustrator that just make me want to scream, and having used the demo of Affinity Designer for all of 10 minutes, I love it! In Designer, I opened up the Illustrator file I've been working on, and all the layers were there, all the placed images, everything - it was brilliant!

Hello Pauly,

Worth mentioning, not all new features are ones on the roadmap. We can also expect bonus ones. For Designer 1.7, this feature will be added for example. NodeTool.mov

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hmmm...I'm surprised the ability to manipulate a group of points like this isn't something already in Designer. I'd have thought that when creating Designer v.1, Affinity would have gone through Illustrator and copied (and improved upon) all Illustrator's decent features (and just laughed at its ridiculous features - Perspective Grid, anyone?).

On 5/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, Pauly said:

Hmmm...I'm surprised the ability to manipulate a group of points like this isn't something already in Designer.

Well it is currently possible to reposition and rotate a group of selected points, but that video shows that they are put in a bounding box for an easy way to manipulate them further. At present, only the Move Tool puts objects in a bounding box, which also means skewing and deforming, but that controls the entire object and not just selected nodes. Whereas, the Node Tool, although doesn't put selected nodes in a bounding box, allows you to transform selected nodes if you drag them by a node. So that feature is more for getting a better grip and for more transformation options.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

18 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Whereas, the Node Tool, although doesn't put selected nodes in a bounding box, allows you to transform selected nodes if you drag them by a node.

With the Node Tool it is also possible to rotate selected nodes or change their width or height using the Transform panel, using any of the nine anchor points as a reference, but there is no bounding box shown on the canvas & it is not a very user friendly or intuitive method. IIRC, this was adding to version 1.6, perhaps as a preliminary step in implementing something more full-featured? 

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.9.81 & Affinity Designer 1.6..2.24 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.0

On 5/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, R C-R said:

With the Node Tool it is also possible to rotate selected nodes or change their width or height using the Transform panel, using any of the nine anchor points as a reference, but there is no bounding box shown on the canvas & it is not a very user friendly or intuitive method. IIRC, this was adding to version 1.6, perhaps as a preliminary step in implementing something more full-featured? 

I knew about rotating the nodes in the Transform panel, but I must've forgotten about changing the width and height that way. I agree it's not very user friendly, so I'm glad of that sneak peek. I already know the feature will come in handy.

For affinity photo can you guys add a color pallet? it seems like a very simple thing to add... i get i can use the color picker and go to my pallet image but it would save some time for my photo edits

On 6/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, Char_Zard13 said:

For affinity photo can you guys add a color pallet? it seems like a very simple thing to add... i get i can use the color picker and go to my pallet image but it would save some time for my photo edits

The option exists in that sneaky hamburger menu to the right of the tabs once you are in the Swatches tab. And there are different types of pallets.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

The option exists in that sneaky hamburger menu to the right of the tabs once you are in the Swatches tab. And there are different types of pallets.

And there are different types of palates! Hamburgers appeal more to some palates than to others. :D

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.40 • iOS 12 (iPad Air 2)

17 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

And there are different types of palates! Hamburgers appeal more to some palates than to others. :D

I should've known my post would catch your attention. xD

P.S. I had burgers last night.

On 5/12/2018 at 3:53 AM, djjss said:

I would like add some things to the road map...:

Font manager, where you can use font without install it. And a font filtering like: "Sans, Serif, Handwriting, etc..."

Group node selector.

Make your own floating tool bar.

In the settings, that you can select different type of Selection Square. When you are editing and you select a object, it show a blue square that this object is selected, I would like that you have different design for choose. (Just a feature).

Get Extensis fusion 8 and you're done. One of the best font managers around.

11 hours ago, Tourmaline said:

Get Extensis fusion 8 and you're done. One of the best font managers around.

I've read up on Suitcase Fusion and it sounds great, especially with the plugins for Adobe's software, but how does it work with Affinity Designer? Is there an automatic activation of 'missing' fonts when a file is opened?

I check the 10 days demo and Im happy with the program but I need for my daywork a B-spline tool and warp/distortion, I cant see it in the road map, can someone confirm in they have it planned?. I cant switch to Affinity designer without that 2 options, specially the B-spline. BTW I get tons of problems for "rest" shapes, its like theyre bugged as soon as you rest a copy/paste shape and miss and "intersection" tool between 2 shapes. I miss too more arrange options for situated with hotkeys a shape behind or over other shape/object without waste time in the layer panel for arrange it.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Bellas. :)

23 minutes ago, Bellas said:

I need for my daywork a B-spline tool and warp/distortion, I cant see it in the road map,

A mesh warp/perspective tool is on the roadmap for version 1, but no B-spline tool. Did you previously use DrawPlus X8? There was no B-spline tool in DrawPlus until that last version was released.

As for keyboard shortcuts for the ‘Arrange’ commands, take a look at the customization options under Preferences. (Sorry, but I can’t check this myself at the moment.)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.40 • iOS 12 (iPad Air 2)

1 hour ago, Bellas said:

I miss too more arrange options for situated with hotkeys a shape behind or over other shape/object without waste time in the layer panel

You can use and change the keyboard shortcuts showed in the layer preferences. Or use the buttons in the toolbar. If you miss something you can start a feature request.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Bellas. :)

A mesh warp/perspective tool is on the roadmap for version 1, but no B-spline tool. Did you previously use DrawPlus X8? There was no B-spline tool in DrawPlus until that last version was released.

As for keyboard shortcuts for the ‘Arrange’ commands, take a look at the customization options under Preferences. (Sorry, but I can’t check this myself at the moment.)

Thank you for the fast reply, if they dont have planned a B-spline I quit I stay with my current programs.