TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

On 21.8.2014 at 1:49 PM, TonyB said:

-Knife tool

[...]

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Hey! Do you know if those features are still far away or are they currently in development?

1 hour ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Please add an option to insert a picture as inline into artistic/frame text for Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.

You might want to create a separate Feature Request thread for your suggestion, Arun. It’s more likely to get noticed by the developers.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Not to beat a dead horse (don't you just hate when people say that?)..... Blend Tool and Image Trace.  These have been on the table for over a year.  I'm embarrassed to say I missed the fact that there's no blend tool in AD.  Totally got bit in the arse on a project just this week by not having it there.  

Affinity Photo & Designer

Windows 10 64 bit. nVidia1080ti, 64GB RAM, i7 4.XK proc, Wacom Intuos Medium Tablet.

4 hours ago, VFXTobias said:

Totally got bit in the arse on a project just this week by not having it there.  

Hi @VFXTobias,

may I ask out of interest if you found a workaround and what that was?

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.399

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

21 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @VFXTobias,

may I ask out of interest if you found a workaround and what that was?

For the Blend Tool option, I guess it depends on which blend mode you need a work around for. A lot of people don't think to use the Gradient Tool or Transparency Tool on multiple objects at the same time. So if you have multiple circles in line with each other, you can use the Transparency Tool on all of them at once to create a blend effect.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

3 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

A lot of people don't think to use the Gradient Tool or Transparency Tool on multiple objects at the same time.

Hi @Bri-Toon,

that is an interesting option I didn't know of. Thank you!

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.399

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

14 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

For the Blend Tool option, I guess it depends on which blend mode you need a work around for. A lot of people don't think to use the Gradient Tool or Transparency Tool on multiple objects at the same time. So if you have multiple circles in line with each other, you can use the Transparency Tool on all of them at once to create a blend effect.

I do believe that the blend tool here is having two objects that have intermediate shapes automatically created according to user input steps.

One can only approximate this currently by using power duplicate and isn't worth the hassle to me as I have other applications to use that can blend this way and could port to blend as vector into AD if I so chose to do so. 

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

31 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

How do you know that? Have you done any researches? I think it is a pure guess of yours. :)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

28 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

How do you know that? Have you done any researches? I think it is a pure guess of yours. :)

I didn't know that (see my post above). I consider myself volunteer participant #1 in Bri-Toons research ;)

d.

3 minutes ago, dominik said:

I didn't know that (see my post above). I consider myself volunteer participant #1 in Bri-Toons research ;)

d.

My answer was sent to @Bri-Toon not to you. :)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

My answer was sent to @Bri-Toon not to you. :)

Sorry to interfere.

d.

No worry. :)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

On 5/6/2018 at 0:15 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

What's with the assumption? I've talked to some people here through messenger, talked to YouTubers since I and they do tutorials, and I begin to learn some things. Someone even mentioned to me that he has a hard time having a gradient flow through "front hair" and "back hair" layers on a character, which means it wasn't realized that both hair objects can be used with the Gradient Tool at the same time. I'm no professional and I still have much to learn, but after a while from what I hear and feedback I receive, I understand some things that work and don't work for people.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Calligraphic Line Styles was on the roadmap in 2014. It is now 2018. I hope it will arrive soon. Any information on why it has been a problem for developers? I really need this feature, and was very surprised when I learned that it was not available.

Hoping, wishing . . . 

3 hours ago, bluearch said:

Any information on why it has been a problem for developers?

I don’t think they’ve ever said it’s been a problem. It’s probably just lower down their list of priorities than you or I would like.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

I do believe that the blend tool here is having two objects that have intermediate shapes automatically created...

The better term is "object blends," to not confusion with transparency effects and modes.

JET

13 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

The better term is "object blends,"

I don't object to that! :D

Alfred online2long.gif

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I don't object to that! :D

So the object of your post was not to object?

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

On 8/21/2014 at 7:49 AM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

I would like add some things to the road map...:

Font manager, where you can use font without install it. And a font filtering like: "Sans, Serif, Handwriting, etc..."

Group node selector.

Make your own floating tool bar.

In the settings, that you can select different type of Selection Square. When you are editing and you select a object, it show a blue square that this object is selected, I would like that you have different design for choose. (Just a feature).

On 12.5.2018 at 3:53 AM, djjss said:

Font manager, where you can use font without install it. And a font filtering like: "Sans, Serif, Handwriting, etc..."

@djjss,

I am using Highlogic's MainType as a font manager that allows among many other features to 'load fonts' instead of installing fonts. It is also capable to group fonts in any way and search fonts by attributes. This is not the only font management software available.

You might also look into this discussion here at the forum :)

d.

@TonyB, I have a question:

On 8/21/2014 at 1:49 PM, TonyB said:

-Export slices previews with actual export data

Will that take the chosen resampling method into account? Should be obvious, but it’s better to ask… I often find the default bicubic too soft, particularly with bitmaps and have to re-export the assets with another resampling mode.

I actually have an idea for a feature suggestion based on this. ^_^

cheers,

Matt

Hello, I would like to have the possibility of adding columns in the text frame and also to connect them with each-other.