TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Becaus the concept of personas, tilted planes, and node snapping to a triangle is not innovative enough. <sarcasm>

On 06/03/2018 at 10:27 PM, pixelschubsen said:

lovers gonna love - haters gonna hate - i am a professional always looking for the best tools. and so I repeat: 6,3 out of 10 Stars for my professional view on workflow and GUI of AD and AP--- I am not an Adobe Fanboy - I am an innovation-Fanboy - and thats what I miss here. Working in AP saves some klicks and there are some nice ideas... but in sum important tools & features still are missing. good night ladies ;)

I work alongside a software development team, as a product manager. I meet people like you fairly regularly; that is, people who just like to mouth off without actually having anything useful to say. Out of politeness, or for political reasons, I usually listen, thank them for their opinion, then get out of there as soon as possible. 

And then I do precisely nothing about what they said. Because what could I do? You've given no useful feedback. Nothing to go on. I can't go to my boss and ask for developer time to 'just be more innovative'. It doesn't work like that. I have hundreds of ideas about how we might change our software to make it better, but unless I can prove those changes will make the company a profit, they won't get done. 

So, my point to you is this: if you want to effect change, give constructive, directed feedback about what you can't do with the product, but would like to be able to do.

If you just want to moan, could you go and do it somewhere else, please? Whether we agree with you or not, it's just boring to read. 

On 6. März 2018 at 6:47 PM, AffinityAppMan said:

When someone says that Serif lost their vision, they don't know what they are talking about.

Yep, hopefully. Whoever has visions should go to the doctor. :D Serif had a big idea, made a concept and still pursues that consistent path to create and sell better tools with great success. :82_heart_eyes_cat:

Hmmm.... to be honest - after releasing 1.6. all betas of designer are mainly about minor Fixes. allmost no new features, no repair of basic things that are really usefull - for example- i and many people here asked so many times (personally i asked when was out version 1.5, some people allmost 2y ago) about rotating group of  selected points - basic thing, in allmost EVERY vector based product. It is present in AD, but its extremly hard to use, without ANY precision.... 

But, we have a gray GUI! and iPad version!

I cannot say its bad product, its still great one, but i think it needs focus on some parts, and some really basic parts. telling us its because of lack of devs, well, why then not focus on making one product top? why making more and more products? 

I can really undestand some people after 2years lost their passion for AD and lost patience waiting for features they need for their work.

1 hour ago, chris.bannu said:

Please guys, pretty please give us the update that exports text as actual text to PSD. I'm literally begging :)

Do you think Adobe would give PS users an update that allows them to export text to Affinity format if you begged them (literally or otherwise!) to do it? I don't think so.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you think Adobe would give PS users an update that allows them to export text to Affinity format if you begged them (literally or otherwise!) to do it? I don't think so.

Well, it's in Affinity's interest to do that. For example I love Affinity, I don't like PS, so I'd rather use Affinity for clients that need the PSD version of a file. Right now I don't need that, because I kind of convinced my developer colleagues to switch to Affinity, but in the future I will definitely need this :) And I don't think there are only few people that like Affinity a lot better than  PS, but need PS because clients request the PSD files. And no, I don't think the fact that I'm begging will make a difference, but it was good for the dramatic effect.

4 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

And no, I don't think the fact that I'm begging will make a difference, but it was good for the dramatic effect.

LOL. Anyway, in practical terms we're stuck with the problem that PSD is a closed format. I'm sure Serif would rush to implement a means of exporting text as PSD text if they possibly could.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

46 minutes ago, Alfred said:

LOL. Anyway, in practical terms we're stuck with the problem that PSD is a closed format. I'm sure Serif would rush to implement a means of exporting text as PSD text if they possibly could.

I think they will implement it eventually, in case it doesn't become the UI Design standard software meanwhile :D So basically it's either more advertising, so more developers learn about it, or this friggin text update, so we can provide developers with what they need. I'm pretty sure developers would rather use Affinity, it's way easier to use, and it's a lot faster to work with. You don't have to change 100 tools when viewing objects, a damn click is all it takes, so I'm pretty sure devs would be very happy with it, it would make the work flow faster. I learned Affinity in 3 days as a designer, I think a developer needs one hour tops to learn how to see object details :)

ehm... I believe what Alfred is trying to say is that being a closed format, not open source, Adobe is in control. You can do some guess work, but to put a very solid  example: FBX format (not open. Proprietary). This is one of the two possibly more key formats for data exchange for all what is character models, specially with bones, weights, animations... (and still clearly wins in popularity over collada, by a sadly huge margin). The other being open, Collada, a format which since a while is preferred by Blender developers for this very reason. They got to do the heroic task of adding importers and exporters for FBX. I was pretty happy, quite some years ago, with that. It's a lost cause: Autodesk would change the format specs and internals constantly, so to avoid that competitors, even free software, would be able to enter their reign. It's totally logical from a business point of view. Is like in soccer: When you score 3 goals, the other team is yet at zero, or one, or even two goals, you tell the whole team to go back and defend. That's what the top dog is doing. They have the market, and they have two main columns sustaining that : the companies and all users' installed base (including here the established idea that you must go with them for pro work, which has never been true) and the file format. The former can be lost by them little by little. The latter depends on their own will, totally. They can even change the format specs with every little app release, if they'd wish so. In Blender I believe they decided to stop dedicating such huge mountains of time to that never ending game. Instead, they focused on open formats. Still, in our case, the PSD format is key for market grabbing, clients... I know... but I believe this is quite a obstacle in coding. They don't have the control over this specific matter. What Alfred I think is saying, too, is that probably Serif would love more even than you to be able to access PSD as an open format, to provide a fully featured export/import. And that we'd all have that already if it were that easy... Mainly, as would translate to profit of very direct nature, ka-ching, ka-ching since day one, even if only to use Affinity as a software converter. You need to check many other apps having this issue, in 3D, video, 2D, whatever it is. Native formats are often the stronghold of software apps. 

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

On 3/13/2018 at 6:34 PM, grapher said:

Hmmm.... to be honest - after releasing 1.6. all betas of designer are mainly about minor Fixes.

Well, yes, because they've all been 1.6.x betas or releases - the third number is basically bug fixes, as I understand it. A fair proportion of users would insist bugs being fixed in existing features is just as important as new features.

Lots of refactoring and new feature developments have also been happening in preparation for 1.7 and future releases (changing a lot of the infrastructure code while keeping all the current features sounds like it was quite the Herculean task), but has not been ready for public release yet.

On 3/13/2018 at 6:34 PM, grapher said:

rotating group of  selected points

Rotating groups of selected points is demonstrated in one of the sneak peak videos for the upcoming 1.7 generation of releases (including betas and bug fixes). A thread worth reading in its entirety for exciting developments and insightful backstory, even if 1.7 is not ready yet.

On 14/03/2018 at 11:28 AM, chris.bannu said:

Please guys, pretty please give us the update that exports text as actual text to PSD. I'm literally begging :)

Get Adobe to publish the inner workings of their text engine, and I'll have it working tomorrow.  Unfortunately it's private proprietary data - so you are going to have to be patient while we do something just short of decoding the human genome.

We still can't import text 100% perfectly from a PSD, and export is going to be even harder.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 14/03/2018 at 1:36 PM, chris.bannu said:

Well, it's in Affinity's interest to do that. For example I love Affinity, I don't like PS, so I'd rather use Affinity for clients that need the PSD version of a file. Right now I don't need that, because I kind of convinced my developer colleagues to switch to Affinity, but in the future I will definitely need this :) And I don't think there are only few people that like Affinity a lot better than  PS, but need PS because clients request the PSD files. And no, I don't think the fact that I'm begging will make a difference, but it was good for the dramatic effect.

Sounds like you need to use Adobe, but just want to cut your costs?

We have been very clear that we never intend to be a cheap cog in an otherwise Adobe tool chain.  Yes, we offer import/export to PSD, but it is never going to work in a repeated import/export cycle just due to the nature of the way we have to change data from PSD to suit our document model.  PSD is a working document format, as is our afdesign format.  Working document formats are intended for non-destructive lossless saving of your document, but flipping between them is always going to produce artefacts.  Work in one format, then when you are done, you export to a final format, such as JPEG or PDF.

Now, if you are using Affinity because it offers a better productive experience, perhaps you should be talking to your clients to move over also?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ah, if some Engineers at Adobe suddenly decided to move to UK... (I’m sure their contracts forbid them to talk about intellectual property but you never know).

Well, the Affinity Team has already done a very good work with the PSD format. Let’s be patient and wait to see what the future unfolds.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

13 minutes ago, Ben said:

Sounds like you need to use Adobe (PS)...

Next month the CC subscriptions are rising, about 6% across the board...with the exception of the so-called Photographer's subscription (PS/Lightroom, both versions). At $10 USD, its at least a relatively affordable plan for those that have to have PS in their workflow.

As I mentioned elsewhere this morning, I guess I am lucky in that I rarely need to manipulate PS images and when I do, I even more rarely need to return them (as they already have the originals). AI files are a different story.

I think if you (Ben) can ferret out even an older PS text compatibility (as did PhotoLine), it might suffice. When I have had to edit or add text to a PSD (really rare), a PSD generated from PL has always opened fine in my older perpetual license PS. PS does need to "update" the text, but there is no visual change.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Next month the CC subscriptions are rising, about 6% across the board

Ouch. 

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

LOL, it's pretty unlikely that Adobe will publish their inner file format workings here, pretty much in the same manner as Affinity doesn't publish their file format internals. - So all you can do or rely here on, is more or less some reverse engineering at all...

...which in turn doesn't mean that you really got or know all relevant internal file format informations.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Yeah, cos I've not read all those documents already. ;)

Here's the snippet that "describes" the text engine data.

Text Engine Data (Photoshop CS3)

Key is 'Txt2' . Data is as follows:

Text Engine Data

Length

Description

Length of data to follow

Variable

Raw bytes for text engine

That's it!  Might as well have read "good luck, chumps".  And, this in a specification format document that they were forced to write (by the courts?).  So, that worked then.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

48 minutes ago, Ben said:

Get Adobe to publish the inner workings of their text engine, and I'll have it working tomorrow.  Unfortunately it's private proprietary data - so you are going to have to be patient while we do something just short of decoding the human genome.

We still can't import text 100% perfectly from a PSD, and export is going to be even harder.

I wonder why they'd do that? It's almost as if...they wanted some kind of ...monopoly? Can you imagine such a thing!

Just now, AshTeriyaki said:

I wonder why they'd do that? It's almost as if...they wanted some kind of ...monopoly? Can you imagine such a thing!

Proprietary isn't monopolistic. If that were the definition, then just about everyone's software is monopolistic.

Heck, even Adobe itself isn't monopolistic, even though that term gets applied to them. (Market share also isn't monopolistic.)

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

No, but certain behaviour is....

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Just now, Ben said:

No, but certain behaviour is....

How is Adobe's behavior monopolistic? 

Just read up on the history of Freehand, and then get back to me...

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Proprietary isn't monopolistic. If that were the definition, then just about everyone's software is monopolistic.

Heck, even Adobe itself isn't monopolistic, even though that term gets applied to them. (Market share also isn't monopolistic.)

Adobe can only be monopolistic if we let them.  The solution is not to support their products, and the scam of the forced monthly subscriptions, by not using their software.

Adobe became monopolistic because a lot of people made their products the main products to use by buying them. This is not the case anymore ( since we have good alternatives )  and we can change this.  We can make OTHER software be the standard by supporting the developers and educating other about other good Adobe alternatives.  Serif is making this possible and that is good for the industry.  Is amazing how many people still think that Adobe is the only game in town, because they don't know about Affinity Photo or Designer. ( and other software for the matter ).