TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

What is everyone else doing to get around not having Distortion or Perspective distorts in Affinity Designer?

I don't mean to be flippant, but just making a general point:

I can just as easily ask myself, "What have I been doing for 30 years to get around not having the ability in Adobe Illustrator to…:

• Access the  angle of a rotated bounding box?
  • Be able to key a simple math expression into a value field?
  • Use reliable snaps?
  • Have raster based brushes?
  • Actually crop a raster image?
  • Have non-rectangular grids?
  • Provide more than just the two most basic types of gradients?
  • Simply cut across multiple open, unfilled paths?
  • Have a 'page 2'.
  • ...and so on."

Illustrator was not just years, but decades behind its competitors in providing some of the above. It's still missing others.

I can build similar "missing features" lists for each of the other three old "Big Four" stalwarts (Corel Draw, Deneba Canvas, Altsys FreeHand), and for a dozen or so other drawing programs that have come and gone but which I've nonetheless somehow managed to use professionally (Inkscape, Silicon Graphics SuperPaint, Macromedia Flash and Fireworks...) to productive and profitable advantage.

The point is: I've never really understood these two oft-used forum post lead-ins, especially in the vector-based drawing context:

• "I can't use this program until it can do [whatever] like [whatever other program] does."
  • "I can't switch to this program until..."

Throughout the over three decades I've been using vector drawing programs all day long every day, I have never…:

• Found a program that did everything I need.
  • Considered myself somehow obligated to using just one vector drawing program at a time, or even within a single project. (Why are such complaints always couched as having to "switch"?)
  • Considered it necessary to obtain all my preferred programs for constituting a well-rounded solution (raster imaging, vector drawing, page assembly) from a single vendor. I'm as eager as anyone for the pending beta release of Affinity Publisher, but that doesn't prevent my populating InDesign, XPress, or Scribus pages with graphics created in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.

It has always been a curiosity that such rationale seems near pandemic in the 2D Bezier drawing community, but not nearly so prevalent in other graphic program genres. It's considered a matter of routine—if not a matter of course—to use multiple 3D modeling programs to advantage. In raster imaging, no Photoshop user considers it anathema to also use Painter, or vice-versa. In website building, some prefer WordPress, some like Joomla, but most can make productive use of either.

Sure, there is a set of capabilities which constitute foundational functionality for a vector-based drawing platform. But Affinity Designer already provides enough of its own advantages that anyone who is still actually waiting to add it to their toolkit because of one single feature to which they are accustomed, is frankly just missing out.

My recommendation to all is: Buy it. Learn it. Use it to its already existing unique advantages. Yes, you'll have to put up with some "missing" desired functionality. But objectively, that is also true of any program to which you are already "married."

JET

Very well said, Jet. On top of that, Affinity has a surprisingly large amount of features already for the little time it has been out. Five years? Whoa mama! O.o

How about some sleepy time tea? You had enough Affinity Coffee, Extra Boost flavor.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

When JET writes, all should take notes and learn from experience. At least that's what I do. And I really enjoy learning. :P

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

33 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

When JET writes, all should take notes and learn from experience. At least that's what I do. And I really enjoy learning. :P

Best regards!

I don't go so far as to take notes, but I do always find @JET_Affinity's posts interesting and/or instructive, usually both!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

20 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

In raster imaging, no Photoshop user considers it anathema to also use Painter, or vice-versa. 

JET

I just remembered this case:

http://archive.li/dNgsB

The only one I know of, but still a good example.

Best regards!

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don't go so far as to take notes, but I do always find @JET_Affinity's posts interesting and/or instructive, usually both!

Mental notes count, I guess. :)

20 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Mental notes count, I guess. :)

With my memory?? :o

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Yup!

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

With my memory?? :o

You have to b♯ to take mental notes.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

You have to b♯ to take mental notes.

Quite so, but that may not B♮ for some of us!

Alfred online2long.gif

On 21.8.2014 at 1:49 PM, TonyB said:

-Arrow head line styles

Can we please, finally, get this before we talk about getting to the 6th digit of accuracy of something. Arrow head line styles are promised since the begin and there is still no satisfying work-round. I know, it's a feature for the "technicians" amongst the users, but a little less ignorance here would be just amazing. 

"A little less ignorance"  ? Could you expand on that ?

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Laserjunge, it's really not my business, but I hope it's understood that certain features not arriving yet is because of others that Affinity feels is more crucial. Also, they need to have the desired features released right and non-buggy. That has nothing to do with ignorance; quite the opposite. As discussed many times on this topic and elsewhere on the forum, what one person wants will not be the same as what another person wants. So what ever is considered essential is really up to debate, therefor making it hard for Affinity to take action. I may not have the professional background to relate to what is most needed, but after reading several posts on this forum, it is so obvious that Affinity cares and does things differently.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

4 hours ago, SrPx said:

"A little less ignorance"  ? Could you expand on that ?

Sure. The members of the hot discussion in the respective forum to this topic (see link below) split mainly in two groups: people who are desperately waiting for such a feature since years (most likely "technical users") and people who do not understand the issue since they are able to live well with workarounds or do not need the feature at all (most likely "artistic users"). Since the quoted topic is one of the most active ones of this forum one could expect that this problem is tackled soon. However, there is no action followed by the repetitive empty promises by the Affinity staff members since 2014. On the other side many new features were implemented to AD since then. I, as a member of the first group, do not feel that those new features tackle the needs of the technical users, but rather satisfy the artistic ones (I do not want to discuss which of the new features are useful for the technical user group, too). The reactions of the artistic user group, together with the missing actions of the AD staff, makes a very ignorant appearance to me.

15 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Also, they need to have the desired features released right and non-buggy. That has nothing to do with ignorance; quite the opposite. 

Thank you for your comment. I totally understand. But please also understand my (our) frustration since we are waiting for 4 years soon for such a "seemingly simple" feature.

8 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Also, they need to have the desired features released right and non-buggy.

There is a bit more to it than that. Adding new features can affect how existing ones work, so even if the new ones are by themselves 100% bug-free it does not necessarily mean the preexisting ones will remain bug-free.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

It's amazing how simple code can affect so much. Even today, I have a hard time grasping it.

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There is a bit more to it than that. Adding new features can affect how existing ones work, so even if the new ones are by themselves 100% bug-free it does not necessarily mean the preexisting ones will remain bug-free.

So?! Never touch a running system is obviously no solution in software. Plus, isn't this argument the same for all new features which were implemented from version 1.0 to 1.6?! And AD is still working. We are talking about custom shapes of line ends and not to implement three-dimensional free rotation or something. Now I am ignorant and a bit snappy. Sorry. I fully understand your considerations, but I do not want to discuss the (definitely) hard life of software programmers when I am in the role of a years-long unpleased user who bought a software he can only use for a few purposes before he has to import the figure in a freeware to add arrows. 

EDIT: What I actually would like is a definite deadline of the Affinity team, in which version we can expect this feature.

3 minutes ago, Laserjunge said:

So?! Never touch a running system is obviously no solution in software. Plus, isn't this argument the same for all new features which were implemented from version 1.0 to 1.6?! And AD is still working. We are talking about custom shapes of line ends and not to implement three-dimensional free rotation or something. 

Nobody suggested that the app should not be updated with new features. But as more features are added to it, making sure everything still works as intended becomes exponentially more difficult & time consuming. That is unavoidable because the number of ways features old & new can interact with each other (& with the host OS in its various supported versions) grows at that rate.

It doesn't matter how badly we want certain new features, how long we have to wait for them, or how simple to implement they seem to users. The math is all that does.

Laserjunge,

Just to lighten matters up, your point is understandable. Really. And you are certainly not the only one waiting. It's a tough job on both sides, the consumers and the developers. I'm not sure what there is to say, but I guess every programmer has a different approach, and some times they may not be what some consumers are looking for. It's your call, so whether you stick with Affinity or choose something else, I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Hi guys at serif. I have the feeling you are running out of staff... or that you are waiting for a buyout. GO FOR GOLD! - "ship early, ship often...(ship crap" ;) "Steve Jobs) Show the community that you are not dying or go open source and call the guys that made INKSCAPE or KRITA for help.
I am using both of your programs for over a half year now. The are really fine - but they must get better... 6,5 out of 10 stars.... it feels like you have lost the path.

GO for the 10!    

2 hours ago, Laserjunge said:

Sure. The members of the hot discussion ...

Thank you for the explanation.

1 hour ago, Laserjunge said:

So?! Never touch a running system is obviously no solution in software. Plus, isn't this argument the same for all new features which were implemented from version 1.0 to 1.6?! And AD is still working. We are talking about custom shapes of line ends and not to implement three-dimensional free rotation or something. Now I am ignorant and a bit snappy. Sorry. I fully understand your considerations, but I do not want to discuss the (definitely) hard life of software programmers when I am in the role of a years-long unpleased user who bought a software he can only use for a few purposes before he has to import the figure in a freeware to add arrows. 

EDIT: What I actually would like is a definite deadline of the Affinity team, in which version we can expect this feature.

I have one other question here (sorry) . It seems to me to be a very long way to launch a freeware app (even while am a fan of external tools), import/load a library shape, export from the freeware, import in Affinity, adapt/integrate in your project than just make a composite of a triangle and a line or rectangle, or a line in a certain angle, duplicate and mirror (with center in the inclined line tip) and combine with a vertical/horizontal line, if not a solid shape. And from one of these bases, build from there a more complex shape if you need it (simple as just some seconds). Then just rotate it as needed, you can paste /clone /rotate it for every place needed. In whatever the package I've always done this so... Even more, the library added shapes, even in Photoshop, be it arrow heads or more complex stuff (stars, hearts, you name it) are often not good enough, or not well adapted to a specific project style, that is closely the same work loading one of those and heavily editing than just doing from scratch. So much that I'd often would store my custom shapes, or even add them as part of my active custom libraries, be it in PS or AI. Please, excuse me if I am having a hard time to see this as an issue. I earned my plate of food as technical person, some of us are sort of weird hybrids, technical grunts and artists.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Nobody suggested that the app should not be updated with new features. But as more features are added to it, making sure everything still works as intended becomes exponentially more difficult & time consuming. That is unavoidable because the number of ways features old & new can interact with each other (& with the host OS in its various supported versions) grows at that rate.

It doesn't matter how badly we want certain new features, how long we have to wait for them, or how simple to implement they seem to users. The math is all that does.

I can remember how the 3DS max base code was suffering tons from this, some said its buggy nature and rare addition of new features for a long time was caused by a monster size old code base. Rumors (sometimes true fact slipped by real, and angry ex developers, sometimes just blatant lies, one can't know, but it was a quite accepted rumor), tho, as none of us could see that closed code (and I wouldn't be able to know anything if I saw any piece of code different from crappy html/css/vb/pyhton), and probably fully revamped nowadays.

1 hour ago, pixelschubsen said:

Hi guys at serif. I have the feeling you are running out of staff... or that you are waiting for a buyout. GO FOR GOLD! - "ship early, ship often...(ship crap" ;) "Steve Jobs) Show the community that you are not dying or go open source and call the guys that made INKSCAPE or KRITA for help.
I am using both of your programs for over a half year now. The are really fine - but they must get better... 6,5 out of 10 stars.... it feels like you have lost the path.

GO for the 10!    

uh....they release REALLY often, if you have payed attention to the beta forums. And fix/improve a crazy ton of stuff in very fast time. I believe they can do this as they have a very solid base (and of course, ninja level coders, very specialized and VERY hard to find. The company staff is tired of stating that is not a prob of money, but of finding very very rare profiles...), and count on the advantage of having sort of shared code among the apps, very rare to find in suites (and of course, done so in purpose).

Inkscape, which I followed and used for a decade, DEFINITELY not a good example over the years in terms of speed of releases, geez. Specially the ones with relevant changes (ie, like a typical beta release here)

With all your respects to you, I think you are definitely not following closely Affinity development. No offense.

" Lost the path " !  Lol. Sorry, I need to adapt to your tone...but that statement is even hilarious.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

23 hours ago, SrPx said:

It seems to me to be a very long way to launch a freeware app (even while am a fan of external tools), import/load a library shape, export from the freeware, import in Affinity, adapt/integrate in your project than just make a composite of a triangle and a line or rectangle, or a line in a certain angle, duplicate and mirror (with center in the inclined line tip) and combine with a vertical/horizontal line, if not a solid shape.

Hi, yes, you are right. It's a horrible long way to open a freeware app to fulfill the purpose. This is were the frustration comes from. I am aware of the workaround you are describing, but it does not do the job. A small example: Draw a square (your technical device) and draw a horizontal and a vertical line with identical "arrow tips" at each end to indicate length and width of the square. Now, you find out that squares are actually out of fashion and rectangles are much hotter. So, mark everything and scale from 1:1 aspect ratio to 1:2 aspect ratio. As you will find out, the "arrow tips" are not identical anymore comparing the vertical to the horizontal scale. Crap.

Now imaging you cannot earn money with simple geometries but devices being composed out of multiple shapes each dimensioned and labeled individually. And after your first prototype from the workshop you recognize: "hu, I need to rescale the inner 23 elements of my 54 elements individually". Suddenly the way to open the freeware seems like a golden road of juicy salvation. Fair enough, but still a sad story. ;) 

On 8/21/2014 at 7:49 AM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

WOW!!!!   YES!!!!!   Thanks!