TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I did find a workaround of a sort: draw a new shape using the line style, copy it, & use Edit > Paste Style to apply it to the stroke that was using the brush style.

It strikes me as rather incongruous that applying a line style to a brush stroke works OK but converting a brush stroke to a line and then attempting to tweak it via the Pressure control does not.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It strikes me as rather incongruous that applying a line style to a brush stroke works OK but converting a brush stroke to a line and then attempting to tweak it via the Pressure control does not.

The word I would use for not converting the style from brush to another one in the Stroke window is "bug." I thought that bug was squashed some time back but maybe it snuck back into the 1.6.x versions or something?

Weirder still, I just created beta 1.6.1 weirdness.afdesign using Affinity Designer Mac beta 1.6.1. The 'some effect' layer made with a texture brush responds partially to changes of the pressure curve when set to solid line style, but the 'no effect' layer made with the Scarf image brush does not.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I have to confess that I regard the term “buggy” as being much more concise than “incongruous”!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 • Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.0.135 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.9 • iOS 12.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

10 hours ago, toth said:

Why doesn't this work for me? No matter how I change the pressure, the line doesn't change..

dxsjO35.png

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

The word I would use for not converting the style from brush to another one in the Stroke window is "bug."

Weirder still....

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

It strikes me as rather incongruous....

@toth ....and guys.

Seems fine to me. Are you setting the size variance slider in the Brush Properties panel?

5a62862a8efd5_chainsizevariance.png.59660dc52120a0bcf80dec0af1609370.png

and @R C-R I've reposted your file.

beta 1.6.1 weirdness(not 8-)) jj.afdesign

57 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Seems fine to me. Are you setting the size variance slider in the Brush Properties panel?

Why should we have to do that? The "Solid Line Style" is supposed to be independent of any properties of the "Texture Brush Style," is it not? From the Stroke panel help topic:

• Properties—Click to edit the brush used as your Texture Line Style via a Brush dialog.

This at the least implies that the brush properties should only apply to the Texture Brush Style. It is also what I think most users expect, that the Solid Line Style button should allow one to convert a brushed stroke to a simple solid line one sans any brush properties. I could have misunderstood something, but as I remember it, back in the version 1.2 or so days of Affinity Designer the staff suggested this was what it was supposed to do, that it was a bug because it did not, & it was fixed in a later version.

57 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

and @R C-R I've reposted your file.

Not exactly. Each of your curves is still using the Texture Brush Style. Yes, clicking on the Solid Line Style button changes it to use the pressure curve, but the moment you open the Properties window & touch anything in it (like size variance), it reverts to the Texture Brush Style in the Strokes panel, & the brush is once again applied to it. If nothing else, this indicates to me that something is buggy about the "Style:" button implementation, most likely that the Solid Line Style should in fact remove all brush properties & the "Properties" button should be disabled for solid lines, similar to how it does not appear at all for the Dash Line Style.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

As for the bug, I already reported it this morning. It occurs in both the Mac commercial and beta version. For Windows, I can't say which Toth is using.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

7 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

As for the bug, I already reported it this morning.

For those that might be looking for that report, it is here.

18 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

What is replicate or blend? 

Replicate is a faster way of creating copies without having to copy and paste. While I'm not sure how Affinity's approach will be, I am hoping it is similar to what DrawPlus introduced.

Blend is kind of like a morph or inbetweens of different shapes. You might have a circle and then a triangle. With one method of blend, it can automatically create 5 shapes in between showing the circle become a triangle. In another method, you can create a blur effect in between the two shapes. Blend also morphs color.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

14 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Replicate is a faster way of creating copies without having to copy and paste. While I'm not sure how Affinity's approach will be, I am hoping it is similar to what DrawPlus introduced.

Blend is kind of like a morph or inbetweens of different shapes. You might have a circle and then a triangle. With one method of blend, it can automatically create 5 shapes in between showing the circle become a triangle. In another method, you can create a blur effect in between the two shapes. Blend also morphs color.

Oh okay, so blend is like interpolate in Inkscape. I really want that feature on AD. That feature is really good at simulating gradient and animation. 

For animation might be a challenge unless you are using simple shapes, but it is possible do with complex drawings as well. Even in actual animation programs, it's possible to create inbetweens of a character's head turn to the side. I cannot achieve this because the head, eyes, and everything needs to be in exact proportion in order for the animation to work accordingly.

15 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

For animation might be a challenge unless you are using simple shapes, but it is possible do with complex drawings as well. Even in actual animation programs, it's possible to create inbetweens of a character's head turn to the side. I cannot achieve this because the head, eyes, and everything needs to be in exact proportion in order for the animation to work accordingly.

It could be used to smooth out your stop motion animation when you don't have an Adobe Animate or Toon Boom. 

On 20.1.2018 at 3:23 AM, Bri-Toon said:

As for the bug, I already reported it this morning. It occurs in both the Mac commercial and beta version. For Windows, I can't say which Toth is using.

Latest Windows version. I did try what JimmyJack mentioned, but I can't make an arrow with that, since the pinch point ends up in the middle, i.e. the pressure is applied symmetrically on both ends instead of what is indicated in the pressure curve.

11 minutes ago, toth said:

Latest Windows version. I did try what JimmyJack mentioned, but I can't make an arrow with that, since the pinch point ends up in the middle, i.e. the pressure is applied symmetrically on both ends instead of what is indicated in the pressure curve.

To move only one endpoint on the pressure graph, either hold down the alt/option key when moving it or click it twice before moving it. When the two endpoints are linked so they move together, a small dot appears in the center of the endpoints.

Yes, I think the reason both ends move symmetrically is for the purpose of smoothing out the stroke on closed shapes and to avoid a bump. If you work with open shapes, then having the ends differently wouldn't matter.

I've been looking for a way to warp a set of curves. I read the roadmap post from 2014/2015, and it mentioned that a warp tool was on the roadmap. It's now about three years later, and still no warp. Is it still on the roadmap, or did it get punted?

Genuinely curious (and interested...I've wanted something like it for a while now).

22 hours ago, Flimdwidget said:

Genuinely curious (and interested...I've wanted something like it for a while now).

Dear Genuine, did you read the first post (again) in this thread?

Hint: it's still there.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

First of all, welcome to the Affinity forums. 9_9

On 2/3/2018 at 8:10 PM, Flimdwidget said:

I read the roadmap post from 2014/2015

And the list was larger then too. Once a feature arrives, it is taken off the roadmap. Unfortunately, there are still features that remain and there is no way of telling which will come before which. It's just about prioritizing, but hey, that is one of my most wanted features as well. :P

27 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

First of all, welcome to the Affinity forums. 9_9

And the list was larger then too. Once a feature arrives, it is taken off the roadmap. Unfortunately, there are still features that remain and there is no way of telling which will come before which. It's just about prioritizing, but hey, that is one of my most wanted features as well. :P

The blend / replicate is important too. 

10 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

The blend / replicate is important too. 

Oh yes. Replicate is ranked as Bri-Toon's 3rd most wanted feature on the roadmap. Warp as 2nd, and Knife as 1st. For the knife, I'd personally just want an eraser, but whatever.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a warp mesh... It would have made a recent project much easier. 

I love Affinity Designer. It is so much easier to use than The Other Thing.

6 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Oh yes. Replicate is ranked as Bri-Toon's 3rd most wanted feature on the roadmap. Warp as 2nd, and Knife as 1st. For the knife, I'd personally just want an eraser, but whatever.

Seriously, we can make custom brush but we don't have knife tool. Where is the logic in that? 

37 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Seriously, we can make custom brush but we don't have knife tool. Where is the logic in that? 

Without any UI for making brushes, we can't make custom brushes. Without a Knife Tool, we can still cut up shapes via the Geometry commands or by breaking them apart with the Node Tool options.

Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see a Knife Tool soon, too. But I'd rather see priority being given to things like a Blend Tool and a mesh warp/perspective feature.

Alfred online2long.gif

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

"I'd rather see priority being given to things like a Blend Tool and a mesh warp/perspective feature."

I'm with you on "Blend Tool" and "Mesh Warp / Perspective". For much of what I do, these are two features that I'm sorely missing from DrawPlus.