TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

4 hours ago, jarcon said:

text wrapping option

Seems to be logical, because there is a tool for copy text. Perhaps a bit unlikely. Hopefully in future (when APu is born) we also can use this in AD.

Workaround

Thank you carl123, the convert to text frame option sounds interesting. The only issue is that in my work flow, sometimes is required to modify some text, or even to relocate it, and I don't know if using this method might require to redo it again. If not, that will be great! Thanks again!

On 12/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, Bri-Toon said:

I think this might be a bug you caught. While I am aware that this was previously an issue, the General section of the Preferences has an option to import PSD text as text rather than bitmaps. But for me, that option was turned on by default, and it doesn't look like it is making any change.

My friend I also know that we can import PSD text as editable text, my concern is can I export PSD as editable text.

7 minutes ago, upendra169 said:

My friend I also know that we can import PSD text as editable text, my concern is can I export PSD as editable text.

No, you cannot. But you can export as .pdf, open in Ai, and export as .psd from there, I believe. But success in this depends largely on what you did in Affinity in the design, as a lot of things won't translate well into .pdf, depending on end requirements. Others with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Affinity team and good morning.

First of all I wish to thank you for all new things you're doing (all recent updates).
Great stuff! Best wishes for all your woks.

I bought more than two years ago both Photo and Designer and globally I can say that I'm really satisfied with them.

Both are great software in many aspects with very good workflow that I daily use for my job.

I'm a software developer and I often leverage on Photo and Designer to create mock-up and UI for Android Apps and I also use them daily,  integrated into my whole 2d and also 3D pipeline.

Yes, in fact Designer is perfect when coupled to a 3D Nurbs software that I daily use, Moi3D, that is very powerful for creating also 2D vector graphics.

In this way I can combine the precision and the power of a Nurbs CAD with the versatility and the graphic capabilities of both Designer and Photo.

So, I repeat, I'm globally very satisfied with your software.

But, with said, I also must say that as a long time satisfied DrawPlus user, there are still TOO many features and important tools that are missing in Designer,

and that I'm asking for a long time on this channel :)

I'm referring to some features that really makes the difference in my daily job.

I hope that, along with bug fixes, you will include these long time missing features in the next official version of Affinity Designer, that I loved and used a lot in DrawPlus X8.

I mean, please include this missing features :

1) Tracing images

2) Knife tool : awfully useful !! It allow a superfast workflow. In designer we have to use Combine, Subtract end so on but it's not the same tings and the DrawPlus's way is times faster.

3) Freeform Paint Tool : awfully useful !! It's much more advanced of the Vector Brush Tolls in Designer because it can handle separately the stroke and the fill.

4) Erase tool :  awfully useful !!

5) Flood Fill toll : awfully useful !! Why did you drop it in Designer ? This tool is very useful especially when importing tracing or other vector files created with other software.

6) Envelope, Perspective  :  awfully useful !!

7) SHAPE BUILDER TOOL : awfully useful !! Please include it into Designer. Again...it's not the same thing of using  Combine, Subtract end so on.

8) Mesh Fill Tools  :  awfully useful !!

9) Last but not least....MESH WARP TOOL (in vector mode) : Please add this very missing features.

I hope that you will take into great consideration these requests and I wish you all the best for you wok and your life in general :)

You said that "...are already on Affinity Designer's roadmap.."

Ok. That's good, but this situation lasts for a long time and no new "vector" feature where added.

Please consider that the tools I mentioned in this post and that are presents in DrawPlus, are not only very useful but essential in many aspects of my daily job,

and I'm still forced to copy/paste/export PDF, read again into Designer, doing these things back and forth many times and all my workflow is very slowed down.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Regards.

Marco (mkdm)

Welcome to the Affinity forum, mkdm.

Although Affinity is Serif, it was created from the ground up, so they will not necessarily integrate all DrawPlus features in Designer. There have been discussion in other topics that some tools such as the flood fill tool in DrawPlus did not achieve its planned goal; leaving areas of gaps. So I think Affinity's goal is to not just introduce new features, but to do so in a certain way. Most of those features you mentioned are already on the roadmap.

And just to give you a heads up, requests should actually get their own topics. Otherwise, they might get lost here. This one is if anyone has questions with what is already on the roadmap.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

11 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

Welcome to the Affinity forum, mkdm.

Although Affinity is Serif, it was created from the ground up, so they will not necessarily integrate all DrawPlus features in Designer. There have been discussion in other topics that some tools such as the flood fill tool in DrawPlus did not achieve its planned goal; leaving areas of gaps. So I think Affinity's goal is to not just introduce new features, but to do so in a certain way. Most of those features you mentioned are already on the roadmap.

And just to give you a heads up, requests should actually get their own topics. Otherwise, they might get lost here. This one is if anyone has questions with what is already on the roadmap.

Hello Bri-Toon!

Thanks for the reply.

@You : "...Welcome to the Affinity forum, mkdm...."

I'm already an Affinity forum user for a long time :)

@You : "...are already on the roadmap...."

Well....but I think that features are in the roadmap for a long time...too much time I think.

@You : "...requests should actually get their own topics...."

I've already post this questions into the "Feature request" topic many month ago.
Ok. I will redo.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)

I'm already an Affinity forum user for a long time :)

Oh silly me. I read the wrong posts under your avatar thinking you were new. Well welcome again.

Well....but I think that features are in the roadmap for a long time...too much time I think.

Yes, and I understand that can be frustrating. It happens when it happens I guess.

I've already post this questions into the "Feature request" topic many month ago.
Ok. I will redo.

Well I hope you find what you're looking for. I just hope it's understood that there is a little bit of a struggle on both ends. Customers have a lot they are waiting for, and Affinity has a lot they are working on. So the best advice that I, a customer, can give is that Affinity is already aware of the majority of features people are looking for. It just takes a lot to get them out there.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I think they are waiting v. 2.0 for all important features and it will be very fast. Did you notice the third version nuber? It became 3 very quickly: 1.6.3.96. The next will be 1.6.4.##.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

4 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Did you noticed the third version nuber? It became 3 very quickly: 1.6.3.96. The next will be 1.6.4.##.

(Getting excited.)

5 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I think they are waiting v. 2.0 for all important features and it will be very fast. Did you notice the third version nuber? It became 3 very quickly: 1.6.3.96. The next will be 1.6.4.##.

Hello Mr. Petrenko.

Thanks for the reply.

I love Affinity Designer/Photo (also the Photo for iPad Pro that I use almost daily) but I really hope that v 2 of Designer will be released soon (also for iPad),

because actually it's really missing many important vector features.

Regards.

Marco (mkdm)

I really appreciate the no fill/no stroke shortcut "/". I also would like the solid and gradient fill/stroke shortcut that Illustrator has, the "," and the "." keys.

I use those constantly in Illustrator and was excited when I hit the "/" in Designer and it changed my fill to none. But I was disappointed when the "," didn't give me a solid fill and the "." didn't give me a gradient fill. I hope there's a possibility of getting those shortcuts in the future.

Thank you for a terrific product!!

Thanks for this update... I have few small suggestions:

• Align to parent object.

• Customisable shortcut keys.

• Include object attribute in pick tool(reference ai).

And the big request/suggestion:

• Trace tool.

• Allow mesh with/on text.

Cheers

On 20/09/2014 at 11:09 PM, Raskolnikov said:

eqqrkl.jpg

AF's file it's attached :P

MEME.afdesign

Nice work 

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Ritrup,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can already customise the shortcut keys in Affinity Photo Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section.

Hi MEB... this I'm aware of... the above request was for designer.

Cheers

Ritrup, you might already be aware, but with what you said here:

Include object attribute in pick tool(reference ai).

Once you copy an object, you can paste its style through the Edit menu or by Cmd/Ctrl +Shift + V. It pastes stroke width, gradient, and any other properties. And then pasting FX would paste the effect.

On 8/21/2014 at 2:49 PM, TonyB said:

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Arrow head line styles

-Export slices previews with actual export data

-Pages

-Text features including Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Replicate/Blend

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

hey Serif, how about to bring mesh tool not by actual tool… but through changing color of specific node just by selecting it with node tool?

Bonjour,

Il faudrait ajouter un outil plus précis (ex :une règle) pour les contraintes entre 2 objets.
avec la possibilité de pouvoir choisir le point d'origine des différents objets.

et surtout l'entraxe entre les deux points d’origine.

On 15/12/2017 at 5:09 PM, Petar Petrenko said:

No one is talking about version 2 yet.  It's been made very clear that we intend to release Publisher as version 1, and plenty of work is still being done on version 1 of Designer and Photo.

Features are being worked on as soon as it is possible to do so.  And existing tools are being improved all the time.

Please also remember that not every user has the same priorities.  What one person deems "a vital feature", others might not, or even have need for at all.  And, as MattP has pointed out, we have a large number of professional users already creating professional grade work with the existing tools - so we don't reasonably accept criticisms that Affinity is not "ready for the prime time" (or other such comments).

I know a lot of people still want to see Affinity as a low cost complete alternative to the more expensive established alternatives.  But, is that reasonable?  A lot of features that are being asked for didn't appear in other apps for many years.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

12 minutes ago, Ben said:

And, as MattP has pointed out, we have a large number of professional users already creating professional grade work with the existing tools - so we don't reasonably accept criticisms that Affinity is not "ready for the prime time" (or other such comments).

Ooh. My ears are burning...seems like some comments I have made in the past ruffle some feathers...

Like it or not, Ben, that was my assessment in 2016 when I (may have) first used that phrase, and back a few months when I made that statement in this thread. the reason in the 2016 thread are mostly gone, but PDF export in general can still use some work. In this thread, the reason stated was also a valid criticism at that time.

There are people that have used Excel and have made wonderful art that has been professionally printed to large format. I would all but give my right arm for their skill using any tool. But Excel simply is not an efficient tool to draw in no matter the "professional results."

I did another series of ads as I always do at this time of year. I did most all of them all in AD this go round. In the rest, I used AD to create the assets for Q. I would consider that professional grade work to use Matt's phrase. But unlike traveling, getting there is not always "half the fun." The efficiency of working in AD followed by any output challenges are what I consider basic criteria.

As regards helping out around the forum, I spend most of my time here with output, color issues, and font issues. Those topics are important to me. If they didn't exist, perhaps I wouldn't either...

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

We have had a number of people using that phrase.  Some on App Store reviews, which have been quite unfair - such as giving 1 or 2 out of 5 stars because we don't have one particular feature, while at the same time stating that everything else is pretty good with the app.

Of course, this kind of narrow minded perception of what makes the app fit for professional (or non-professional) work will skew the perception of other potential users, perhaps unfairly.

From our point of view that is very frustrating, because we know how much work goes into creating and refining the tools we have - we are hardly sitting on our laurels!  It seems a lot of criticism comes from people who really don't have the first clue how much real work is involved in writing some "simple features".

Some features we find quicker to write, but that is usually because they can piggyback on frameworks that we already spent a lot of time creating.  That might skew peoples' perception of why we don't produce things on the road map in the order which seems priority.  But, the only people who really know how much effort a feature will be is the dev team, and we are very careful not to promise things in advance for reason that sometimes a feature might not work out and require rewriting a number of times until it is good enough to be included in a release.  We don't want to get into a situation where a badly conceived feature becomes ingrained because it got released too soon (as is very clear what has happened with certain other apps).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB