TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Without pasteboard and art boards AD has so far been unusable for me. For instance when opening .ai with more art boards. AD opens the first one and doesn't prompt me about which one I would like to really open.

The other art boards should have been loaded as layers. You can hide the main layer and show the art board one you want, using the Layers tab.

Copying and element and then creating a new document, ideally the document is sized to the total size of the element.

I find resizing / cropping a document via the "document settings" to be really painful to work with.

Love to just crop it by dragging / etc.

Hi,

when the pro printing features will be ready, so I can finally put Adobe in the trash.

And is there a release date for the publisher?

THNX

The pro printing features should come over the next 6 months and Publisher should be in beta by the end of next year.

I recall that pasteboard access was one of the items that was listed on the AD roadmap.  Is there any estimate available as to when it will indeed be implemented? 

Thanks for any information that you may be able to share on this query!   

- David  

Any clue when artboards and pages will be introduced? Because that is the major feature that is holding me off from switching from Sketch.

First of all, congratulations for the amazing work you are doing with AD. It's truly a groundbreaking app.

I use AD for both graphic design, product design sketching and illustration, and the infinite canvas does give you a great freedom to just design or draw without being concerned with the limits of the canvas.

For the sketching and illustration part of my work it would also be great to have a symmetry mode. Sketchbook Pro already have a nice implementation of this but I'm certain that if you guys decide to add this feature you will do a greater job ;)

And last but not the less important I also miss a symbols library in AD.

Keep up with the great work.

Wish you all the success.

I'm so loving this app - as a former freehand user this really is salvation - nothing less.

Maybe you could have a feature priority voting system like cocoa - the makers of Pathfinder

But for my 2c -

1. pasteboard area and multi artboards next please. - I can't tell you how valuable being able to make a 'glorious mess' around my artboard is - it really enables quick creativity, without having to worry about where to put bits and pieces.
  2. Then on text styles - could these be semantic please?  so that importing well formed word or html content will result in heading styles with a consistant value?  its eternally frustrating that evernote for example doesn't do this, but for designers engaged with content, or particlarly on the this is critical

thanks again for all your work on this - I'm going back to design like it's 1999. 

one planet, one chance

I can't speed for the Devs, but at some point features can feel like mission creep or out of scope, in a sense...you can make 3D shapes right now using your own artistry and the fine tools in AD..

Illustrator included some 3D tools a few years back and they're not bad...pretty much a regurg of Adobe Dimensions of the 90's..they can be good for a quick solution.

I've spent a lot of time doing 3D modeling and animation. 3D really takes the juice...you may wish to give Blender 3D a try..it's free, open-source, and delivers top-shelf images and animation.

Upon reflection, I think that these comments I posted are out of line with respect to whether a feature request is legitimate..

Of course it would be good to have 3D shapes or tools of some kind. It's *far* out of my wheelhouse to know whether they could be incorporated into Affinity Designer or not. If they could, that would be fabulous!

VC

2012 Mac Book Pro 12”, 8GB RAM, Mojave  |  2017 iPad Pro 12.9” 256GB, iOS 12.1.1

Hi TonyB,

"These are the features we promise to implement for free in updates over the next 12 months."

Before this period (12 months) i will need to buy de app again to get the new updates ?

Hi TonyB,

"These are the features we promise to implement for free in updates over the next 12 months."

Before this period (12 months) i will need to buy de app again to get the new updates ?

I suppose that after 12 months (or whatever the period will be) there should be a price for new buyers and another (cheaper i hope) for upgraders. :)

At some point it was promised to deliver free upgrades for at least two years and only charge again when version 2.0 is released  —  can't find the post at the moment, but I know that I read it somewhere.

I think Tony was referring to the updates we list in the current road map, and the time frame we hope to do them in.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

A comment on the list:

Pro printing - make sure you can convert users in printing industry before you work too hard in this area. I suspect that people in printing industry have enough budget to buy professional softwares for their work.

Illustration & Design - this is quite essential. Remember that choosing a designing software is a costly commitment, people won't do it unless the new software satisfy most of their needs. However, tracing is tricky - it takes too much effort and is hard to achieve satisfiable result (see how poorly Adobe Illustrator does). So i suggest focus on smaller but critical features first.

Usability - lots of things listed here is not that important. I can customize my shortcuts using other stuff (e.g. BetterTouchTools). And custom center, well, it's not an animation software, right? I recommend that you can create a "general comment" section or "rant zone" in the forum aside from "feature requests" and "bugs" to know what people hate about your software, or even add a feedback command in the "Help" menu to capture these "it sucks" moments.

Usability

-Pasteboard design area

Does this mean the ability to see elements dragged outside of or extending beyond the art board or page boundary? I hope so, as this is badly needed when doing page layout. Both technically (to accommodate bleeds), and artistically when needing to quickly iterate on a group of elements and see them side by side.

Strange that Affinity Designer is the first vector application I've used that doesn't allow for this. Some apps even advertise an "infinite canvas" as a feature!

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Publishing PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, PDF/X-4

-PDF Image compression

-Trim and Bleed control

-Overprint control

-Printer marks including crop, registration, colour bars and Info

-Pantone, Spot and Registration colours

-Linked/Global colours

-Tints of colours

-Named colours and palette list mode - Done in next build

-Font sub-setting control

-Phase II transparency flattener

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Text on a path

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Symbols

-Export slices to SVG, EPS and PDF

-Export slices previews with actual export data                 

-Pages and Art-boards

-Text features including Text Styles, Bullets and Numbering

-Dashed line styles - Done in next build

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

-Corner Tool 

Usability

-Pasteboard design area

-Replicate/Blend

-Custom rotation/transform centre 

-Guides and grid improvements

-User categories in the media browser for shapes and objects

-Customisable shortcut keys

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new post.

ok but theres no dates here when this list expected to be achieved ?

@Ammar, to include hard dates is to invite disaster. What seems "simple & easy" to we users, probably involves a whole lot of programming derring-do. One app I used actually quoted a date that a new revision would be out and when the company missed it, some disgruntled users tried to sue the company. Affinity's staff has been very upfront that the roadmap will be done as quickly as they can do it and they hope to do all of the items in the next year. This is a new app and, really, Affinity's doing the right thing (IMHO) by getting the foundation right and then building up on that incrementally. This may engender some teeth-gnashing for this or that feature, but with a bit of patience, those features will be added. Until then, we can figure out work-arounds -- which have the side-effect of making us more familiar with the app and able to use it better. So, in a way, the features being added incrementally, allows us users to "get to know" the features better. That's my rationalization, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Secondary Samsung SyncMaster B2430 display, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball, Wacom Pro Large tablet || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

I hear what you are saying about not putting time lines on any of the features from the Road Map and certainly what has been produced too date is very nearly an excellent alternative to AI (my annual subscription is up in Feb 2015 and I hope to dump the bloated package for something fresh and new like AD). Working with text is perhaps still the big area that hopefully is on the road map for sooner rather than much later though, as with this aspect there are few work arounds for Text on a curved line or path of any description such as rivers etc? I know the import for FH10 works well but is there any hopes of an import for older versions? I am still keeping alive FH9 in Windows XP on a Mac just to open some of the older carto material that publishers often ask for changes on? I know I know some folk really do work in the past but hopefully with the flexibility of AD I can convince some to move to it!