TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

1,223 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bluebug said:

So, as for the roadmap.... When will mesh/warp editing, saving custom vector brushes/strokes and a glyphs panel be added to Designer? I've searched high and low, only to find answers from early last year that state "it's on the roadmap". As it stands, while having a lot of great features, Designer is no replacement for Illustrator, except perhaps if you use it for illustrations rather than designs, ironically enough.

With the glyphs, at least, those are already in. View > Studio > Glyph Browser.

1 hour ago, Bri-Toon said:

With the glyphs, at least, those are already in. View > Studio > Glyph Browser.

The Glyph Browser is currently only available in the 1.6 beta versions, but it was recently mentioned that the 1.6 release versions shouldn't be too many weeks away now.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.86) • Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.86) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.5 iOS 11.0.3 (iPad Air 2)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

but it was recently mentioned that the 1.6 release versions shouldn't be too many weeks away now.

:17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes:

For Designer, I'm hoping they add a "smooth tool" like illustrator has - the ability to literally stroke a path and smooth out extra nodeas and the curve. its a small tool, but a huge difference-maker.

For Photo/Designer  - Also hoping true bitmaps will be added that can function like they do in PS/AI

davemac2015 likes this

Very good fast program.

The only thing we're really lacking removal tool (eraser). To remove the allocation of points is very long and inconvenient, especially when a lot of them. To translate in a raster and there to remove the pixel is not the solution.

And there's no simple tracer (for example potrace).

And in General I am very happy!

I'm throwing in my vote/request/encouragement to get mesh/warp editing into A-Designer ASAP — for both vector and bitmap elements.

Another feature from DrawPlus that I miss is bitmap auto-tracing. For now I'm using the most current version of Inkscape for tracing bitmaps. I use EPS to port from Inkscape to A-Designer. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Considering that A-Designer is a new app, I'm generally happy with it at this point in its development.

A-Publisher is the app I'm really looking forward to. Page layout is my bread-and-butter.

vik144 likes this

8 hours ago, lowerider said:

Another feature from DrawPlus that I miss is bitmap auto-tracing. For now I'm using the most current version of Inkscape for tracing bitmaps. I use EPS to port from Inkscape to A-Designer. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Why are you using EPS? The native file format for Inkscape is SVG, which imports faithfully into the Affinity products.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer (1.5.3.69, beta 1.6.0.86) • Affinity Photo (1.5.2.69, beta 1.6.0.86) • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Why are you using EPS? The native file format for Inkscape is SVG, which imports faithfully into the Affinity products.

I often use tracings in CAD-CAM projects. EPS has worked out to be a consistent file format for using artwork in both commercial printing and CNC machining/routing.

I need to create an image that fits an existing website and there's a gradient I need to replicate. The gradient is CSS-based, so easy peasy... except I can't find anywhere to set the gradient's angle in Designer. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place and it's already there, please add a numeric angle setting for gradients.

1 hour ago, Bluebug said:

I need to create an image that fits an existing website and there's a gradient I need to replicate. The gradient is CSS-based, so easy peasy... except I can't find anywhere to set the gradient's angle in Designer. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place and it's already there, please add a numeric angle setting for gradients.

Hello and welcome to the Affinity forum.

You probably notice that the Gradient drop-down menu from the Context Toolbar shows options to change the properties like position, opacity, and midpoint, however, you have full manual control over the angle. You can change the angle of a gradient manually just by clicking and dragging one of the endpoints of the actual gradient and not menu. 

4 hours ago, Bluebug said:

Use the Fill Tool (G) to adjust the angle of a gradient by dragging endpoints of the device that is presented on your object.

I know there are options using the gradient handles, but there's no accuracy in that. I need to recreate the gradient fill, including the angle that's set in the CSS.

While I've read other posts about this issue and the reasoning for not including an angle setting (rotating the object also rotates the gradient fill, thus rotating the angle) makes sense, I still believe this setting should be included. Having the angle be relative to the original orientation of the object makes perfect sense and, unless I'm mistaken, you could use nested layers to get around this.

@Bluebug

You should create a separate feature request thread for setting gradient angles rather than requesting them in this thread where it may get forgotten

In the meantime... Someone has created some protractors which you can overlay onto your design to set precise angles

You may want to have a look at them

Due to the impending Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

In the meantime... Someone has created some protractors which you can overlay onto your design to set precise angles

Affinity Designer's gradient color stops can be snapped like other vector entities, so it should be easy enough to create a temporary line with the Pen tool, rotate it to the precise angle (including fractional degrees) desired in the Transform panel, & then snap the color stops to it. The line can then be deleted or hidden. I just tried this in AD & it only took a few seconds to do.

As for a feature request, I am not sure how this could be implemented without adding a lot of complexity: unlike with CSS3 gradients, color stops in AD can be set to any arbitrary point in the workspace, so unless I am missing something, minimally numeric entry fields would have to be provided for the x & y values of at least one color stop & an angle along which the other stop(s) would be placed, or possibly something involving an angle & a rotation center.

Affinity Photo 1.5.2; Affinity Designer 1.5.5; AP for iPad 1.6.2 (but no supported iPad -- yet!)

macOS Sierra 10.12.6; iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM 

43 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Affinity Designer's gradient color stops can be snapped like other vector entities, so it should be easy enough to create a temporary line with the Pen tool, rotate it to the precise angle (including fractional degrees) desired in the Transform panel, & then snap the color stops to it. The line can then be deleted or hidden. I just tried this in AD & it only took a few seconds to do.

That worked perhaps even better than using an angle setting like in Illustrator. Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

@Bluebug

You should create a separate feature request thread for setting gradient angles rather than requesting them in this thread where it may get forgotten

I'll create a new thread next time. Thanks for the help though :)

Thank you for including the Glyph Browser in AD 1.6. For the poster work I do, having glyph alternates and variations is important.

Is there an option to open an image placed in a Designer document in AffinityPhoto? I know it's possible to open the entire document in photo, but is there a way to open one image at a time for additional editing?

On that note, I think it would be a great idea to add the healing clone tool to the pixel persona in Designer!

10 hours ago, gloin4518 said:

but is there a way to open one image at a time for additional editing?

Seeing how all Affinity applications share a similar format, the easiest way is probably to just copy and paste. If you have an image on your desktop, then just drag it in.

10 hours ago, gloin4518 said:

On that note, I think it would be a great idea to add the healing clone tool to the pixel persona in Designer!

I believe it was said before that a Clone Tool and Inpainting Tool will not come to Designer since those are photo editing tools. The pixel tools already in Designer are for illustrative purposes. However, I don't think it's a bad idea to bring the Flood Select Tool into Designer. Getting the exact selection quickly and efficiently can be tedious. I just hope it has a checkbox for "All Layers" if it is ever added. 

gloin4518 likes this

On 10/21/2016 at 8:29 AM, Alfred said:

That doesn't seem to work here in the latest Windows beta build (1.5.0.26, RC2) unless I'm doing it wrong. Alt+Delete doesn't do anything to the selected node, and Alt-clicking a node makes it sharp.

Alt+Delete doesn't do anything on my regular Windows 10 Pro version 1703, build 15063.674 either.

Very uncomfortable and bad work with the text! For example, in order to change the tracking or the lead, you need to use each time not a convenient window, in which, in any case, it is necessary to enter a numerical value! (tracking), instead of doing it quickly and simply as in DrawPlus.

6f8c979c48ac.jpg

3e4d5da67243.jpg

No fucking to break the text, (line by line). You have to select, cut and paste each line into the right place! And if there are many of them? This is scary and think ... It's a pity that this program is mostly just for drawing ...

52 minutes ago, graphos said:

it is necessary to enter a numerical value! (tracking), instead of doing it quickly and simply as in DrawPlus

Not so! You can adjust the tracking, and other positioning and transform values, by 'scrubbing' (i.e. clicking and dragging to the left or the right) over the labels in the Character panel.

MattP and carl123 like this

Alfred online2long.gif