TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

I know I shouldn't post this response, but I'm getting sick of reading this... but I suspect that may even be why you wrote it in the first place?

Seriously, can I ask if you're expecting to 'rally the troops' with this ongoing negativity - and if it's such a useless program why on Earth are you still posting to this forum? Why not do something more worthwhile with your time? I and many others do appreciate your constructive posts, but I don't think that a wave of negativity combined with name-calling other forum members is remotely helpful. Has anyone said the performance of our boolean ops is something we're proud of? No, quite the opposite actually. They can and will be improved - but this is already on the forum many times. I appreciate that you and others are also tired of hearing 'we'll get to it' but that's all we can say considering that we will actually get to it when we have chance. You don't agree with the order in which we add features - well, that's unfortunate, but it's not going to affect our approach because we're doing things in the best order we can - trying to fit in customer needs at the same time as make progress with features that must be done in certain orders...

Do you consider the sample documents to just be a trivial, basic use of a vector program? I consider them to be amazing so we're going to have to agree to disagree!

Honestly, we're never going to make you happy by the sound of it, and I'm hardly expecting a post with praise from you in it, but the negativity is just wasting your time and ours, isn't it?

When you wrote "While the powers that be won't see it the same way I do, all these basic operations that have performance issues need rectified before version 2. Which I assume is still far off" - who on Earth said that? What 'powers that be' think everything is fine and dandy with respect to basic functionality not needing to be polished and improved? Nobody is the actual answer. I've said many times that there are things which are not right and they will get sorted. Nobody is blindly pushing forward without taking stock. Again, if the application is so bad for anything other than basic use... why are you interested in 'helping' people by just being negative?

Quoting selected text on 

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

I know I shouldn't post this response, but I'm getting sick of reading this...

It's like a scab one knows they shouldn't scratch, isn't it.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

...but I suspect that may even be why you wrote it in the first place?

Really? That's rather paranoid.

I'm not really trying to accomplish anything, Matt--other than originally responding to Brian's gushing post about the wonderment of AD, how great it is given the price, yada yada yada. That post was also following an attempt to aid one of Serif's users overcome one of his issues with AD (see this post: 

But other than telling the user that there are ways of mitigating the issue--which involved a redesign--I couldn't help. However, that entire design exports as vector from XDP and weighs in at under 400k in seconds. It takes AD 30 minutes to export that design as a PDF. I did three test exports after changing the design to see if I could get decent vector results. I couldn't. All told, I spent over 2.5 hours in hope I could tell your users to do A,B,C and all would be good. But I couldn't. Now come on, that's beyond not acceptable in a professional design environment when using an application billed as being a professional design application.

I do praise AD when/where it is truthful (like I did in this thread a few posts back). And I do aid your (Serif's users). But I'll also post if something is amiss in AD. If any of my posts are not accurate or are misleading, feel free to call that out.

You ask if I think the sample I included is a trivial, basic use of a vector application? Yes, I do. Maybe that's your problem. You read of performance and user issues with a less than real-world viewpoint. No matter what the company, I'll post about issues on their forums. 

I have already stated here and elsewhere where I believe Serif got it right in AD. I used typography here in this thread in a recent post. AD is one of my go-to applications to test OT Feature support, but I also take advantage of those typography features for placement in other applications as well.

If you cannot deal with some of my responses which are accurate, then I suggest either correcting that information, throwing me off this site, ignoring me, or deal with it in a less defensive and whining manner.

Good luck. Mike

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

I asked if the included samples are what your would consider trivial - I mean the ones we ship with the product, because they were done by artists who generally had a good time using the software and created results as good as anything you'd find in any other application...

You think I'm responding in a 'whining' fashion - just goes to show it matters what side of the fence you sit, as I thought I was being quite reasonable in my response to a negative whine...

I can completely deal with facts, but constant jibes are unhelpful and the moment you insult a user's comments just because they don't see things the same as your negative perspective, then that's when I get unhappy.

You asked to be thrown off the site many months ago - I figured you were big enough to know when to do it yourself.

Yep, I asked Leigh (I believe) to remove my account due to an instance of being singled out in a terribly poor response by a Serif employee. It took weeks to get a question back in response. I cannot recall now who that Serif employee was. It was quite a while ago.

What was my supposed insult? In context with their response that is.

I won't stop posting about what I believe are issues in AD. I paid for that right. So if you feel my posts warrant it, flag them and otherwise deal with them.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

You trivialize user experience with such drivel, RC-R. 

That is one way to look at it. Another is that labeling such a wide variety of things as "basic" trivializes the significant differences among them, both for users & for application developers.

I suspect if you asked 100 randomly selected users to list what they consider as the "basic" features every "professional" app should include, you would not even get a consensus on what constitutes a professional app, much less agreement on which features everyone considers basic. Things like this are very difficult to discuss objectively -- it is almost impossible to avoid it devolving into ego-driven disputes over whose personal preferences & opinions are the most valid.

I want no part of that.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

I believe that you missed the point, R C-R. 

Serif thought the functionality of the boolean operations as a basic operation. So do I, do you?

My point is that such a basic and included function ought to not have such performance issues. Do you disagree with that?

I agree that in the best of all possible worlds, no included function in any app should have any performance issues, regardless of how many items it iterates over, the capabilities of the hardware the app runs on, or how often it is used.

However, since that is not & will never be possible in the world I live in, I see no point in whining about it. It won't change anything, so why bother?

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I agree that in the best of all possible worlds, no included function in any app should have any performance issues, regardless of how many items it iterates over, the capabilities of the hardware the app runs on, or how often it is used.

However, since that is not & will never be possible in the world I live in, I see no point in whining about it. It won't change anything, so why bother?

Still missing the point, R C-R. That EPS file I uploaded is not some edge case.

But seeing how you desire to not answer the question(s) I asked of you and instead deflect this user's desire for improved performance on such a file to an argument that such desires are idyllic, pie in the sky ones, I'll leave you to it.

Just plain silly.

My point is different from yours, but that does not make it any less valid: there is no way to optimize software (or much of anything else) to do everything equally well. Neither your desires nor mine nor anyone else's can change that. 

Mike,

So I've made it quite clear that we all want the same thing, we're not sitting back and saying our work is done. I've said that the functions you're talking about can and will be improved as soon as I can. I've even said that I value your constructive input. How are derisory comments helping at this point? If someone's opinion differs... oh well, that's life, but you don't have to go on and on and try to belittle them to make your point feel more important. I'm not even sure what the argument's about: You're both saying the same thing - that software should in all cases be performant and bug-free, but you're saying it's unacceptable and making a noise about it, R C-R is saying it's unacceptable but there's no point wasting time whining about it... The reality is that you've both told us, we're already aware - there's no point continuing the conversation further as it won't make anything different until I find some time to look at it. I could've been looking at it right now, in reality... :/

In fact, maybe I will...

Matt

Looks wonderful to me, Matt.

Certainly better than 3 of our experiences (of people that mentioned actually trying that file). For one person, they had to force quit when it was taking too long. For me, it was over 10 minutes.I don't know how long it took the 3rd person. Out of curiosity, how long did it take your particular computer to do that operation before whatever magic you did to make it as per the movie?

Looking forward to it being in a beta.

Mike

So many flames... You know what? maybe some post-pay client care would help. From what i see here, after i payed for all the products, noone gives a s... about my problems with the software. On more than decent hardware. So what? why Serif does not care? becouse its cheap? In my opinion its not fair argument. Some even much cheaper software HAVE support. But hey, no problem. I would pay much more for DECENT software that i can use for my work. With DECENT support.

MattP -  if you wish to see only happiness around, its maybe time to change the forum, or start client support division in your compay ;)

By the way - i told about serif in the beginning to so many people... i was really very happy about AD&AF until i lost all ideals after year of non support and promises - Now im allmost ready to uninstall it. Why im loosing my time and trying to write about it everywhere? I-want-you-to-start-listen to your customers.

Maybe some other people will tell you same story (and some do as you can see :) )

So, maybe i am not alone?
Maybe someone SHOULD care about this - as im your paying customer, whom you will ask to give another money in future for upgrades... 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

You're both saying the same thing - that software should in all cases be performant and bug-free, but you're saying it's unacceptable and making a noise about it, R C-R is saying it's unacceptable but there's no point wasting time whining about it...

Just to be clear about it, that is not what I am saying. If the above was my test for acceptability, literally every piece of software I have ever used would be unacceptable & I never would use any of it. That is why there is no point in whining about it -- it is an impossible standard no software can meet, ever.

Not helping, Socapex.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

10 hours ago, grapher said:

So many flames... You know what? maybe some post-pay client care would help. From what i see here, after i payed for all the products, noone gives a s... about my problems with the software. On more than decent hardware. So what? why Serif does not care? becouse its cheap? In my opinion its not fair argument. Some even much cheaper software HAVE support. But hey, no problem. I would pay much more for DECENT software that i can use for my work. With DECENT support.

MattP -  if you wish to see only happiness around, its maybe time to change the forum, or start client support division in your compay ;)

By the way - i told about serif in the beginning to so many people... i was really very happy about AD&AF until i lost all ideals after year of non support and promises - Now im allmost ready to uninstall it. Why im loosing my time and trying to write about it everywhere? I-want-you-to-start-listen to your customers.

Maybe some other people will tell you same story (and some do as you can see :) )

Maybe someone SHOULD care about this - as im your paying customer, whom you will ask to give another money in future for upgrades... 

Why do you think nobody is supporting you? What has happened? Why hasn't our support team helped you?

10 hours ago, grapher said:

49 minutes ago, MattP said:

Why do you think nobody is supporting you? What has happened? Why hasn't our support team helped you?

I totally agree with grapher here. I've not been a costumer for long but was really happy to have found a good alternative to work with. Now I start running into problems with the software and since the only way to communicate with serif seem to be these forums, I started a thread and aside from a few "please post screenshots from this and that folder" nothing has happend for a month or so. Now no one has replied in over three weeks! In my opinion thats no way to treat a paying costumer.

I've just got to work now. I'll try to talk to the support team today and find out what has happened - it's not what any of us would hope for.

Comments like 'nobody from Serif cares about customers' is not true and is disheartening - a case in point is if you look back at my post history, as well as being at work all week I'm also here in the evenings and weekends just trying to make things better and answer posts. We do care but sometimes things get missed by the right people - that's a failing of our internal channels, so not your fault at all, but to say we don't care is untrue - we care a great deal...

Part of the problem is with reproducibility - if we had a machine that showed the characteristics of freezing every few minutes and then carrying on, then the Windows team would clearly not have released the product in the first place, but you really need to be told that as a resolution, not left hanging and wondering what is happening...

I'll try to get these issues updated by the appropriate people and can only apologise in the meantime - I normally help out on Designer Mac App Store and Designer Mac Beta posts as I can help in these areas - I'm not a Windows developer so I'm largely stabbing in the dark here :(

Matt

Fair enough MattP. Thank you. :) To be honest, i hoped ill get someone's attention. Someones maybe like you, who care.

If i wouldnt ask for so many times, tryed to refresh the problem to get to the top and get propper attention, i would maybe choose different words. 

Maybe it would help to get some ticket system for serious problems.

13 hours ago, MikeW said:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take your particular computer to do that operation before whatever magic you did to make it as per the movie?

Genuinely don't know because I haven't tried it: You and others have said it takes a long time and I already knew the function scaled exponentially with the number of input curves from the previous bug report, so I knew that it would take longer than was acceptable. What's the point in me timing it. I simply fixed the logic and it now runs in a more linear time.

Thanks,

Matt

54 minutes ago, MattP said:

What's the point in me timing it. I simply fixed the logic and it now runs in a more linear time.

Matt, any idea if this fix will make it into the final 1.6 release or into the next beta if there is one?

Frankly, I can't think of a reason I would ever want to convert hundreds or thousands of curve layers into a single (Curves) layer, so for me it would be an "edge case," but it would be good to know that if I ever did to do that, it would perform better.

On a related note, for operations that take a very long time to complete, on the Mac versions there seems to be no way to abort them other than force quitting the app. Is this correct, & if so is there any chance of adding a provision in the apps to abort them?

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Matt, any idea if this fix will make it into the final 1.6 release or into the next beta if there is one?

Frankly, I can't think of a reason I would ever want to convert hundreds or thousands of curve layers into a single (Curves) layer, so for me it would be an "edge case," but it would be good to know that if I ever did to do that, it would perform better.

On a related note, for operations that take a very long time to complete, on the Mac versions there seems to be no way to abort them other than force quitting the app. Is this correct, & if so is there any chance of adding a provision in the apps to abort them?

The change should be there in the next 1.6 Beta version and as long as I haven't inadvertently wrecked something it will be there in the released 1.6 version too :)

I'm not going to get into an argument, but I've also never wanted to union thousands of curves in one go so it has never been a real world problem for me - when I draw my designs I typically construct them in a logical fashion, often keeping the curves as separate objects within a container as there's no downside, but I concede that this definitely shouldn't take as long to perform if I had decided to union them - of that there can be no question.

Adding the ability to cancel slow operations is definitely a good call - but of course, we would aim for them to just not take a long time in the first place... :/

Thanks again,

Matt