TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Hi, I just bought Affinity designer (trying to migrate from Illustrator), great program! but as mentioned before, lacks a very basic feature: 0,0 point relocation and 0,0 point corner re-set, hope is implemented soon!

Welcome here, ket.

Because the change of the origin point is only on the common feature requests index, it will not be implemented very soon, right?

And the answer from Serif is ????????????

Despite the discussions of problems being faced, this is actually the wrong topic to do so. This is for any questions someone might have about a feature on the roadmap. I don't think they're avoiding the questions on purpose. It is just hard to keep track when concerns are listed in the wrong section.

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new post.

- TonyB

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Well, it was not a real question, but you did not like the answer or just had some cheap question marks left?

Yes, Oval has already been answered that one by MEB anyway.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm new in AD but I worked a lot ( about 20 years) with Corel Draw, Freehand nad AI. 

To bring my work on AD 100% I would ask 3 main features.

. Boolean with groups and not only with a sngle object.

Now I have to repeat the Boolean a lot of times.

. Perspective transformations ( free transform or wrap mesh).

Now I must use AI. no alternatives.

. Align to target object, without moving the target.

Now I copy/paste the XY coordinates but is a boring operation.

The current "snapping tool" is not the same thing. With the alignment tool you don't need to move objects to the target.

without these features I need more time to do the same thing, about 40% more and unfortunately this is a big limitation in my job.

Actually AD is still not suitable for some technical jobs, but I love it! 

looking forward for the new improvements dedicated to technical jobs, amazing software!

Boolean with groups and not only with a sngle object.

Now I have to repeat the Boolean a lot of times.

. Perspective transformations ( free transform or wrap mesh).
Now I must use AI. no alternatives.

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Normally, questions and requests go in their own section, but I can help out with these two. For the boolean operation, hold Alt while clicking on the operation button. It will make a compound shape.

For your second request, there is a mesh warp and distort tool coming to version 1.6.

When will the version 1.6?

Linux + Windows | i7 | 12Gb | Nvidia 760+780 | SSD 500Gb | Toshiba 1Gb | Full Zalman | Dell 27" | Wacom | Blender | Adobe | Affinity

We'll have another update to 1.5, hopefully before the end of January but no promises, and then betas for 1.6 will start after that. I don't think we've committed to what new features it will include.

From Post number 1:

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Is this another way of saying  "auto-trace" ?

I hope so :)

High-End Photographic Prints

:(

High-End Photographic Prints

Welcome here, ket.

Because the change of the origin point is only on the common feature requests index, it will not be implemented very soon, right?

Well, it was not a real question, but you did not like the answer or just had some cheap question marks left?

As your 'answer' ended with a question mark, in (good written) English it did not constitute an answer but a question.

With my 'cheap question marks' I was just re-enforcing your 'implied' question because I wanted a clear answer to the question Ket raised, which yours was not.

For the boolean operation, hold Alt while clicking on the operation button. It will make a compound shape.

For your second request, there is a mesh warp and distort tool coming to version 1.6.

Hi and thanks!  

I mean boolean with groups ( also nested groups). not just with multiple objects. I have to manage complex elements and I must use groups.

We'll have another update to 1.5, hopefully before the end of January but no promises, and then betas for 1.6 will start after that. I don't think we've committed to what new features it will include.

I thought the features here on the roadmap are for 1.6.

Hi and thanks!  

I mean boolean with groups ( also nested groups). not just with multiple objects. I have to manage complex elements and I must use groups.

Well your compound shape will be nested in the Layers studio. Click that arrow to expand it. To group it all, right click the compound route layer, and select "Group."

I thought the features here on the roadmap are for 1.6.

I'm afraid not. They're features we intend to do before 2.0, but we don't know which update. It might take a while.

In the Rhinoceros there is a tool "only closed objects". I think it is a good idea for the Designer. This idea was discussed on the forum. I'm thinking about it.

PS: Thank you for a wonderful product. Work again began to inspire

Linux + Windows | i7 | 12Gb | Nvidia 760+780 | SSD 500Gb | Toshiba 1Gb | Full Zalman | Dell 27" | Wacom | Blender | Adobe | Affinity

Hi evocarti,

- err, not a simple addition if you want to keep things fast and not cache the results so you can zoom in without loss of quality. All other packages that offer it are cacheing things and that leads to limitations and high memory usage. If it was simple, we would've added it a while back. It's coming though, but it takes engineering.

- we already offer this :)  Go to the Swatches panel and choose the 'hamburger menu' (the three lines at the top right of the panel group) and choose 'Create palette from Document' - hopefully that's what you meant? :)

Thanks,

Matt

Fair enough, didn't think about it like that, figured you didn't find it necessary or something. Well I'd rather wait until you get it right, rather than rush it, because it does tend to slow things down in Sketch.  Although the overlords at Adobe seem to have it running a bit smoother in Adobe XD.  Regardless I think you guys have had the most fluid application, and I would hate to have a feature slow that down.  Fingers crossed, you implement Background Blur by the beginning of the new year along with "Pages" in the 1.6 update as I have some upcoming UI projects to take care of.

And I'll have a look at the color palette feature.

Much talk of Affinity Designer taking on Adobe Illustrator. Bit what of CorelDraw? I use CD but looking at the Affinity range as a viable alternative. One thing I love about CorelDraw is the powerclip feature where a photo for example can be place inside a container. Does AD have this feature? Will I have to wait for an upgrade or Affinity Publisher. 

One thing I love about CorelDraw is the powerclip feature where a photo for example can be place inside a container. Does AD have this feature?

post-8358-0-41019000-1482786760_thumb.png

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.9.81 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.2.42 • iOS 12.0.1 (iPad Air 2)

How to set hotkey for this action?

How to set hotkey for this action?

It isn't a single command, so there's no hotkey for it. Choose the Artistic Text Tool, type the text on top of the image and then go to the Layers panel and drag the image layer up and to the right of the text layer thumbnail. You'll get a thick horizontal blue bar at the cursor, and when you release the mouse button the image will be clipped to the shape of the text.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.9.81 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.2.42 • iOS 12.0.1 (iPad Air 2)

To (almost) EVERYBODY in this list... The first post in this thread states

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new thread.

None of your feature requests questions will be answered in this thread, and more importantly most won't be commented on, where in their own thread they may be noticed and more importantly discussed. 45 pages of (mainly) new requests that you were asked to make as new threads is getting frustrating, as I like to welcome first time posters and discuss feature requests. Perhaps it's time to retire this thread and make a new duplicate, where only the features ON the list are discussed, and others are strictly split off.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.