TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Hi

Cannot find a Clone brush - it would be very useful to me.

Sure we had on in the Serif suite that I used to use - but does not seem to be available on the Mac version

The ability to drag the x, y ruler and set it anywhere on the page would be really helpful.

Double click resets it to the top left of the page.

I must dig out my old copy of Freehand and post a video of how it handle the transition between Type tool and Move tool.

It was seamless and never involved changing tools or breaking stride.

It was as simple as holding down the command key.

It's still my only real quibble with Designer.

Hi,

I am really trying to get out of A**BE system, but my main work is in Arabic, and you guys do not support Arabic in an of your products, any chance we can get this feature in the near future?

Regards

T

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Phase II transparency flattener

-Bleed area guides

Pro printing needs to have spot color support similar to Illustrator.  The way Pantone colors are supported now is lacking.  For me, I can't find any way to make use of it.  Can't print separations and can't determine what is or isn't a spot color in the art.

Recolor Artwork, similar to the tool in Illustrator.

Yes, I've seen comments in another thread which basically said "it's too early for us to work on that yet."  But Recolor Artwork is a critical feature.  It would be nice to see that added to the roadmap.

Thanks.

Hi cjp,

No, sorry. For now the team is focused on what's listed on the roadmap mainly.

Precisely why I am eager to see Recolor Artwork added to that roadmap.  It's a critical feature in Illustrator.  Without that, Illustrator users probably could not use Affinity Designer exclusively.  That may not matter from people who don't use Adobe apps.  But a lot of Adobe app users are eager to see the Affinity apps replace Photoshop and Illustrator, once and for all.  That will take time, of course.  I fully understand that.  Best wishes.

Precisely why I am eager to see Recolor Artwork added to that roadmap.  It's a critical feature in Illustrator.  Without that, Illustrator users probably could not use Affinity Designer exclusively.  That may not matter from people who don't use Adobe apps.  But a lot of Adobe app users are eager to see the Affinity apps replace Photoshop and Illustrator, once and for all.  That will take time, of course.  I fully understand that.  Best wishes.

Certainly this is a useful feature, very welcome to AD.

But things like this should come after AD give us at least the basic drawing and object manipulation features (including a proper snapping tool).

I was wondering: How many people are really using AD professionally? Seriously.

I'm sure a lot people like me are supporting Affinity because Designer look very promising. But the software is "collecting dust" due to lack of essencial features.

What amazes me most is that there's no many people complaining about the lack of basic features and tools.

For me that means there's not so many graphic designers using AD. Maybe some illustrators, but for someone who has 20 years of experience in vector illustration, I doubt that.

Quoting some of what I'm saying since AD launched 1 year ago:

In my opinion, AD should allow us to define the nudge in the way we need: ie: 1,5mm, 1px, 6cm, 2.4in, and so on... Illustrator does that since the beginning.

This is an EASY AND USEFUL FEATURE to add to AD. Please, AD staff!

I often expressed my opinion that AD staff should first solve the basics and only then invest in those more advanced features.
It's simple: Give users standard drawing features first, and they will get around most things until advanced one be made.

Other examples:

Can't do a simple thing like connecting two end points

https://affinity.ser...-ad/#entry48193

>In my opinion, AD should allow us to define the nudge in the way we need: ie: 1,5mm, 1px, 6cm, 2.4in, and so on... Illustrator does that since the beginning.

You can define this in Preferences->Tools Nudge distance

>Can't do a simple thing like connecting two end points

Node tool join curves should work in a similar way to connect endpoints in AI

>Poor snapping

The main snapping to curves have already been improved since that thread. More snapping improvements are being worked on at the moment.

I was wondering: How many people are really using AD professionally? 

I wish I could but it isn't ready yet.  I bought the Affinity apps to help ensure they would continue to be developed in the years to come.  I look at this as a long term investment.  Photoshop and Illustrator took decades to become what they are today.  And yet, the Affinity apps gives us amazing power now.  If the pace of development continues, I foresee being able to totally abandon Adobe in 2-3 years.  That's a long time for some of you, but realistically, Serif is not going to give me all the features I need until then.  Recolor Artwork is a drop-dead must have for me.  There is no way in hell I will ever give up Illustrator until Affinity Designer offers that feature.  No way.  So I can only hope there are thousands of others out there like me who are willing to buy Affinity apps to support continued development. 

To be sure, there are people who never used Adobe apps that love the Affinity apps and perhaps use them for real work.  And my best to them.  But to grab a huge chunk of pros from Adobe will mean to give those Pros a lot of what they get from existing Adobe apps.  Even the Affinity Roadmap we have now does not achieve that.  (Again, Recolor Artwork, a critical feature, is still missing from the Roadmap.)  But the Roadmap is a moving target, and the best I can do other than buying the Affinity apps is voice an opinion.

Best wishes.

I was wondering: How many people are really using AD professionally? Seriously.

------------

I'm using AD in banners, poster, flyer, business card, invitations, etc. for small print in color copiers, but for mass production I need features like Illustrator's Attributes (Overprint fill/stroke), and Illustrator's printing dark black. I'm having problem printing the 100% black on film when using AD (it's like dark gray). :wacko:

Blend Tool 

Here link whit example of using:

http://static1.squar...4/?format=1500w

That image will not have been created using a blend tool. I do agree that if you are trying to recreate a retro 80s computer graphics look then the blend tool might be of value to people.

Sorry to dig up this old post, but are you sure about that?  I know the "inner parts" would be tricky, but it still looks like an OK example of what a blend tool can do.  Here is a quick similar example using the blend tool in Draw plus....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3foFEtIPL-1TEp3bmRMUURXbzQ/view

Speaking of the upcoming blend/replicate features... I'm very interested in this.  Will they be anything like what Draw Plus has currently?  Any more details about what is planned would be appreciated.