TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

1,223 posts in this topic

post-705-0-97788000-1412710065_thumb.jpg

Wasn't there an obscure (lol) Python sketch about a parrot that had died? You may have heard of it...Anyway, do you know that Adobe Photoshop 8 CS features the feathers of a coloured bird on its splash screen?

Hmm...that parrot is plucked (METAPHOR ALERT!), who'd have thought it, Monty Python goes all psychic, If a bit cryptic. Nostrodamus would be proud!

Makes for a great headline in The Sun: "PYTHONS PREDICT PHOTOSHOP'S PROBLEMATIC PRICE PLAN-PROFITS PLUMMETING"

parrot.afdesign

Graphix Guru, JGD and TFerz like this

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.10

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Hi, will the text styles be something like the Appearance Panel in Illustrator where you can add multiple strokes and fills? And since I am here asking about that-- will it have the ability to transform those fills and strokes as in moving, rotating, scaling them all inside the this text style functionality? I find them to be the most useful features in Illustrator where once you create them you can just type your text and the graphic style will be applied to it.

Thanks

Hi, Appearance Panel is really must have feature for me. Actually, I think there is 3 main features why I use Illustrator: Appearance Panel, Graphic Styles and Symbols.

Hi rui_mac,  following on from this Monty Python vein.

Wasn't there an obscure (lol) Python sketch about a parrot that had died?

http://www.montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_1/53.htm

You may have heard of it...Anyway, do you know that Adobe Photoshop 8 CS features the feathers of a coloured bird on its splash screen?

Hmm...that parrot is plucked (METAPHOR ALERT!), who'd have thought it, Monty Python goes all psychic, If a bit cryptic. Nostrodamus would be proud!

Makes for a great headline in The Sun: "PYTHONS PREDICT PHOTOSHOP'S PROBLEMATIC PRICE PLAN-PROFITS PLUMMETING"

Sorry about the repeats, that's BBC2 for you!

rui_mac and TFerz like this

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.10

You may have heard of it...Anyway, do you know that Adobe Photoshop 8 CS features the feathers of a coloured bird on its splash screen?

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Now the launch date of the 2nd of October has been confirmed. Do you have an estimate for the release of the new feature road map and if this will be delivered as multiple small releases or one big one?

The only hesitation on purchasing affinity designer on the 2nd is the uncertainty of the roadmap, as a number of key features are in this that I require. Will the updates for the road map be included if purchased on the 2nd October?

Follow Me on Twitter: @brettjp156

Visit my Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/jbrett

I believe the list Tony has made will be delivered as a series of free updates. Priority for updates is in the hands of Tony and his team but many improvements are close by as more polish is added.

After launch, owners of Affinity Designer could be eligible to test updates before they are available through the Mac App Store.

Plus there is 20% off in launch week, so buying early could save a few $ and keep you more involved with progress.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
PC: Intel Q6600, GTX950GPU, Windows 10

If you buy the full version, you will get bug fixes and feature releases through the App Store as we release them.  All the features on road map will get done in the near future, and we will do regular feature updates which you will get for free.

Paul Bravery likes this

post-17-0-98406500-1414161784.pngSerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
post-17-0-93920600-1414161966.pngSoftware engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher

post-17-0-93920600-1414161966.pngiMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395

post-17-0-93920600-1414161966.pngMacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300

post-17-0-93920600-1414161966.pngiPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

It's the final price already known?

Plus there is 20% off in launch week, so buying early could save a few $ and keep you more involved with progress.

Not bad idea :D tasty!

Thanks Dale,

This is great news! 

I believe the list Tony has made will be delivered as a series of free updates. Priority for updates is in the hands of Tony and his team but many improvements are close by as more polish is added.

After launch, owners of Affinity Designer could be eligible to test updates before they are available through the Mac App Store.

Follow Me on Twitter: @brettjp156

Visit my Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/jbrett

Hello.

I would like to know if a Image or Links info pane will be available. Using that pane you can change an image (or images) with just one click.

It would be very good if that pane has basic information: Size and resolution, Type (JPEG, TIFF, PNG), format (Gray, RGB, CMYK) and Colour profile.

Thank, guys!!!!

PasoPasi likes this

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

Hello.

I would like to know if a Image or Links info pane will be available. Using that pane you can change an image (or images) with just one click.

It would be very good if that pane has basic information: Size and resolution, Type (JPEG, TIFF, PNG), format (Gray, RGB, CMYK) and Colour profile.

Thank, guys!!!!

The Links panel will be a feature of Affinity Publisher. You will be able to open any Affinity Designer file in Publisher and use all the Publisher features.

smallreflection and TFerz like this

The Links panel will be a feature of Affinity Publisher. You will be able to open any Affinity Designer file in Publisher and use all the Publisher features.

In a publication application is a must. But it will be very useful in Designer to make simple documents with not to many pages or to be able to have all corporative identity in just an archive. You know: letter, letter sheet 2, card, big card, envelope and so on...

JGD likes this

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

I have a question...has the following been considered?

Will there be announcements in the future, if and when features should be added to Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher that may facilitate the exclusion of an OS version from its further compatibility? Like the dropping of support for Lion, if that day comes (not for years, I hope... :) )?

For example:

I bought Sketch from the Mac App Store soon after it came out. One day, I upgraded to Sketch 2.2.5 because the Mac App Store stated on it product page that it was compatible with Snow Leopard (was using 10.6.8 at the time). Turns out that the last version to work with Snow Leopard was 2.2.4 and Bohemian Coding made a mistake I've since seen a lot of software encoders make; they compiled the code in a way that was "supposed" to work for Snow Leopard...on a Lion mac WITHOUT actually testing it on a Snow Leopard mac.

As a result, Bohemian had to offer--for a limited time--Sketch 2.2.4 as a download from their site with a generic serial number so that everyone who was still on Snow Leopard could re-install Sketch and continue to use it with the understanding that they could upgrade no further without moving onward to Lion.

The reason I mention this experience is that I like your software and want to continue to support it...just please be mindful of situations like the one mentioned above.

Hi,

Part of our deployment process includes testing the build on all versions of OS X - and builds are always beta tested by the good people in this forum before being release on the App Store.

So, as we prepare each patch, it will be made available in here - and anyone who has bought AD will be able to download the new build and run it side-by-side with the production version.

I hope we'll be able to avoid any mistakes :)

AndyS

JGD likes this

This is not a feature request but a “User Interface” request. First of all I like the black UI overall. But, some of the lines that delineate certain parts are at time difficult to see.

For instance, when you have several file open at once it can be very difficult to see the actual outlines of the file name “Tabs”.

Have you given any thought to the possibility of a preference setting that would allow the user to select a color for the text in the UI so it can be any color they select other than white?

Here is an example using a bright green color for good contrast yet easy on the eyes (like colors used in aircraft cockpits at night).

Thanks for listening and thanks for a great program.

Max

post-706-0-35546600-1412277068_thumb.gif

OS X 10.9.5, 24" iMac, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB, 1 Terabyte hard drive.

Mac User since 1985. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Hi,

Part of our deployment process includes testing the build on all versions of OS X - and builds are always beta tested by the good people in this forum before being release on the App Store.

So, as we prepare each patch, it will be made available in here - and anyone who has bought AD will be able to download the new build and run it side-by-side with the production version.

I hope we'll be able to avoid any mistakes :)

AndyS

Cool! Thanks, Andy.