TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Hi, would be cool to see a progress bar or just percent values (behind the topics) or just the planned next release months/days.

Please, please when will we get “Linked/Global colours” and do you have a bit more details for us?

Artboards (on your list) & Multiple Strokes (especially on Text, all with Draw Behind functionality) & Crop Marks (including Japanese style crop marks) as well as Linked Files (not on your list) are atop my own priority list.  With those features in place, it may then be possible to free oneself from the clutches of Illustrator.

Note that Illustrator makes it easy to create regular or Japanese crop marks.  You can see the regular marks on the left and Japanese on the right of the following:

http://flylib.com/books/2/560/1/html/2/images/cfig03.jpg

You know things must be going well when you have a whole board of people impatiently waiting for the next version :-)  

So far i think things have gone quite well - when you compare Photo v1 to Photoshop v1 (which i started with) - there are MILES of difference quality wise!   Photo is amazingly "usable" for something that started out new.  Sure there are things that its missing that i am used to from Photoshop.  But photoshops been going for 20+ years too.  I for one am very willing to give Serif the benefit of the doubt that very soon most if not all of the "missing pieces" will be in place and work well.  With that i would suggest that Serif not give in to the natural "lets rush this out there" impulse that is likely to come - but instead spend the time needed to make these new features GOOD DESIGN (which is getting the most work for the least amount of effort).  Thats something Adobe does not do :-)

thanks for your efforts!  

I really hope to see all the features ready soon, but there are few that still keep me from using Affinity Desginer for professional work.

- Trim and Bleed control - it is a must for print

- Exporting PDF documents with multiple pages

- Pages and Artboards or at least one of those things - without this it is hard to design few pages in one document, so work takes muuuuuch more time than in Illustrator or Fireworks. And I use Artboards and/or Pages to keep some objects for later use, as a sketchbook, in your app it is now impossible without using few files

- Symbols - for bigger projects it would take too much time to work without this feature

- Global colours - on your list - it will work just as global swatches in Illustrator? This function saves a lot of time. You only change one swatch color and all the elements that use this swatch change color. Even when making business cards it saves some time of work. For bigger projects I can't imagine working without this option.

Things like customisable keyboard shortcuts are nice, but not crucial. I can work without it. So please start with adding things that really save time at work.

I hope you will add most of those feauters soon and I could switch from Illustrator to Affinity Designer. I wish you all the best!

NEXT PLANET / Design Studio / UX / GRAPHICS / ANIMATION

There are definitely features I'm looking forward too very much as well (Pantone, artboards, bleed, text styles, etc.). But as a designer surrounded by developers at a software agency, I can say folks, be patient with the developers. Software is by no means an overnight project, nor is it easy to estimate, because testing and refinement phases are essential to making a good product (not to mention an excellent one!). If the suite doesn't meet every need quite yet use what you can in the meantime. But the current Designer and Photo apps are astounding feats, and I can't imagine the amount of late nights it took to produce them over months and years. :) #solidarity #imdonenow

There are definitely features I'm looking forward too very much as well (Pantone, artboards, bleed, text styles, etc.). But as a designer surrounded by developers at a software agency, I can say folks, be patient with the developers. Software is by no means an overnight project, nor is it easy to estimate, because testing and refinement phases are essential to making a good product (not to mention an excellent one!). If the suite doesn't meet every need quite yet use what you can in the meantime. But the current Designer and Photo apps are astounding feats, and I can't imagine the amount of late nights it took to produce them over months and years. :) #solidarity #imdonenow

There are some who mistake "positive zeal" and "enthusiasm" for "impatience."  I myself have not read every post in these forums, but I have read a lot and among those I have read, I've not read any which say "If you don't give me X, Y, Z in 24 hours I am abandoning Affinity apps forever."  That, to me, would be "impatience worth chastising."  But the entire purpose of this thread is to explain what Serif has in store for the future, and it is an open forum where users (and would-be users) can post their constructive feedback as well.

So if you are a lurker in these forums but have positive ideas to contribute, don't hold back thinking your ideas aren't worth posting.  So long as you keep it positive, a well thought out contribution is an important contribution indeed.

And thanks, Serif, for your great apps, and for showing us how much greater you plan for them to be over time.  You folks are a developer I wish to support and continue supporting!

LOVE what I see, and desperate to drop Illustrator (my do-it-all tool). Some deal breakers for pro designers like me:

Trim/bleed - done!

Pantone color support - on the list!

3rd party font management support (FontExplorer, Suitcase, etc.) - I realized this is something on their end, but still, are you reaching out to them?

Artboards

Precise character controls (kerning, etc.)

Please hurry - so excited!

Steve

Precise character controls (kerning, etc.)

Hey, what is wrong with it now? Do you mean automatic optical kerning that is better than the font kerning tables?  :) 

Hey, what is wrong with it now? Do you mean automatic optical kerning that is better than the font kerning tables?  :) 

You obviously haven't tried Japanese. Compare Optical kerning in Illustrator on Japanese (with full width roman characters mixed in) with the kerning of AD. There is room for kerning improvement in AD, definitely.

< feel free to ask questions about the features on the list

What will be the complete features of “Symbols”?

Here are some more drawing features to add to your roadmap please.  

- Inset/Outset or Offset - create a parallel path to the selected path inset, outset or offset by a draggable or defined distance.

- Dimensioning

- More standard complex shapes e.g. ellipse 

Thanks

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post … feature requests

What will be the features of “Symbols“?

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post … feature requests

What will be the features of “Symbols“?

It's too early to commit to the capabilities of the symbols feature but in basic terms you will edit a symbol and it will update other instances  

Hi. Just bought this software. However!

Mesh warp/distort tool is a minimum requirement for me to drop in images in perspective, in fact it's what I bought designer to do.

I can see this is in your road map but what is the timing of this update? (Great software but this is a major oversight really).

Same as MarcusClarkus, any news on the distortion feature (and knife / cut) ? Being able to distort a text or any group of vectors selected like if it was one is realy a big need for us when creating logos. We always have to go back to AI for simple text curves and things like that.

Thanks

YES! - please - but in the meantime could someone  tell me how this "drag and drop to a color point" thing is supposed to be working?  Because I can't get any kinda eyedropping working at all.

Feature request: Live eyedropper for color picking. Seemed a bit strange why we're forced to drag and drop to a color point. Painfully slow workflow

one planet, one chance

Hi, is there a rough timetable for the roadmap items. Currently I have to go back to my windows based page plus product to complete distort  ion/perspective actions, and nobody wants that! 

It would be great if it was possible to drag in guides from the rulers when any tool is the active tool. 

The requirement to switch back to the move tool just to drag a guide in, is quite annoying.

Sorry if this is already planned!  :) Keep up the excellent work!