TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Oh! I forgot to ask for a very SIMPLE and USEFULL feature: Keyboard increment tool!

Let us customize the keyboard increment, and it's units, like in AI. Moving objects using keyboard arrows in specified steps, is something everyone uses a lot!

Mostly great these implements, specially those meant for designing and sketching purposes. I know that many persons think that any new added tool or whatever whould become free for the users. I am the one that would pay for anyi of them, for Inam aware of how dpensive is to develop them. So if the update is worthe the price, just consider this offer.. Not very popular I can guess. Thanks for this roadmap....so helpful and encouraging.

Rosa

Mostly great these implements, specially those meant for designing and sketching purposes. I know that many persons think that any new added tool or whatever whould become free for the users. I am the one that would pay for anyi of them, for Inam aware of how dpensive is to develop them. So if the update is worthe the price, just consider this offer.. Not very popular I can guess. Thanks for this roadmap....so helpful and encouraging.

Rosa

All the features detailed on the roadmap will be free to existing users.

Oh! I forgot to ask for a very SIMPLE and USEFULL feature: Keyboard increment tool!

Let us customize the keyboard increment, and it's units, like in AI. Moving objects using keyboard arrows in specified steps, is something everyone uses a lot!

That would be great! I use this feature in Illustrator all the time.

I know this feature is in the roadmap, but I just can't express enough how important it is to implement the pasteboard area and multiple pages. This is a huge letdown to me and all my colleague designers that I spoke to, and the main reason why none of us has adopted AD professionally yet. Expanding the artboard size to fit scribbles and exporting slices is a design hack, and not a good practice. Illustrator's had multiple pages since CS4, Sketch has since the beginning, Photoshop now has it too... And why make elements invisible outside of the artboard area? Not even a toggle to turn that off? Please put this on first priority, and I think you will gain solid and influential adopters.

plus one on…

"I just can't express enough how important it is to implement the pasteboard area & multiple pages"

and thanks for all the graphical gratification in the meantime - life in a post Freehand designing world was almost too grim to go on with, you AD popped up.

one planet, one chance

Another simple feature: Allow the Align command to work with nodes. This AI feature is very useful in a lot of design situations.

Check the example:

https://youtu.be/8-kfMQIBgQI

The Node tool will be improved soon with these features.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

The Node tool will be improved soon with these features.

Good to hear, Ben! From my experience with AD now, I understand it's more mature for illustration purposes than for graphic design purposes. With the snapping to path, node alignment, custom keyboard increment, object array tool, and all those precision tools being discussed on this forum, I believe you will begin to see more graphic designers shifting to AD, along with illustrators.

Any ETA on the Pro Printing features? 1 month? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Anything your team can share will be MUUUUUUUCH appreciated :-)

Thank you :-)

Good to hear, Ben! From my experience with AD now, I understand it's more mature for illustration purposes than for graphic design purposes. With the snapping to path, node alignment, custom keyboard increment, object array tool, and all those precision tools being discussed on this forum, I believe you will begin to see more graphic designers shifting to AD, along with illustrators.

Count me in. :-) Almost switched, just waiting for those must have print features.

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Publishing PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, PDF/X-4

-PDF Image compression

-Trim and Bleed control

-Overprint control

-Printer marks including crop, registration, colour bars and Info

-Pantone, Spot and Registration colours

-Linked/Global colours

-Tints of colours

-Font sub-setting control

-Phase II transparency flattener

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Symbols

-Export slices previews with actual export data                 

-Pages and Art-boards

-Text features including Text Styles, Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Pasteboard design area

-Replicate/Blend

-Custom rotation/transform centre 

-Guides and grid improvements

-User categories in the media browser for shapes and objects

-Customisable shortcut keys

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new post.

Still missing Middle Eastern Capabilities, RTL Language.... Feeling left out, I believe some mismanaged prioritization leaving such a basic  language feature missing, You should add this basic feature to start capturing larger market and designer mindshare, knowing we can boast your product professionally to management.

Do the 'Guides and grid improvements' include snapping to nodes or does this come under a different heading?

Is it possible to see a similar definitive list of all the other items that are on the wish list? This would make it much easier to check existing suggestions before posting a new suggestion.

Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

AD version 1.6.0

AD's super fast! I'm beginning to transition my workflow from AI to AD. 

Good thing to see Artboards as part of the roadmap.

Thanks guys for delivering this awesome tool for us!

Still missing Middle Eastern Capabilities, RTL Language.... Feeling left out, I believe some mismanaged prioritization leaving such a basic  language feature missing, You should add this basic feature to start capturing larger market and designer mindshare, knowing we can boast your product professionally to management.

Hi there, from what I understand the ability to support RTL and the ability to support Middle Eastern languages aren't really basic and aren't quite the same thing. Middle Eastern languages can use contextual shaping, which takes a large amount development on top of RTL support, so while it's on the team's wish list it will be some time away, sorry about that mossimo.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Work: Intel i7-6700, NVIDIA Quadro K1200 and Intel HD 530, Windows 10   |   Home: Intel Q6600, NVIDIA GTX950, Windows 10

Hello Affinity Team,

I'm a heavy Sketch 3 user and the only 2 things that I wish Affinity Designer had right now in order to finally make the switch was Symbols / Instances and multiple Artboards.

Any indication on when those features will be available?

Thank you guys for making such a great software. You rock! :)

Phil

I'm also holding back. I know art boards is because of publisher (unified file opening), but we'll need it before that launches.

+1 on Artboards/Pages
+1 on bleed (please not just 25mm like Illustrator, some signage needs lots)
+1 on crop marks and bars/info

+1 on margin/bleed locking (having to fill all 4 boxes for margins, or just 1 when locked)

+1 on art visible off-artboard

+1 on node alignment
+1 on PDF export settings (for proper PDF profiles for print production color matching/conversion)
+1 on the multiple fills, strokes, fx on art  (+ability to save this in the styles area).

+1 on moving multiple selected object quickly to another layer - in Illustrator you can select multiple objects (like all the text) and then there is a small square icon on the layer which you can drag to another layout and only the selected items are then moved to the new layer - useful to group, manage and organise your artwork in logo, text, background layers so you can turn them on/off for comps or to move them to lock a special layer, etc. this one has many uses. Currently you have to cut them and then paste them in place in the new layer (which isn't the same as just a layer re-assignment). 

Fixing how cropping works, so you can transform the crop art shape (without content distortion) and edit crop art and content (art or bitmap) independently and move them together while they are cropped (I've posted videos on this issue).

I also wanted external file linking, which both Illustrator and InDesign use to keep file sizes down (why have 30 hires stock images directly in a 350mb design file, when you really only needed to link to the images/PDF art on the disk, with collect/embed/unmbed/re-link features).

Illustration shape and color blending (or what you're gonna call it - not layer blending, which is different) or combine this with mesh blending into a Mesh persona (like liquify for photo).

I suggest adding a Symbol Persona in designer - using that to create symbols, spray them, reshape, shrink/grow, tint, re-color, etc.

An pattern persona for creating art fill patterns. Perhaps this could also be the persona where you can rotate/translate/transform art groups (or symbols) using multiple copies.

An art tracing persona for tracing bitmaps.

favicon-16.png BRANDbrilliance • Graphics • Websites • Printing • E-marketing

+1 on PDF export settings (for client previews at low res)

Have you looked at what you can do currently? You can specify raster resolution and down-sampling of images for vector formats now. You can also have a preset that flattens the entire document if you want the PDF to be uneditable.

Cool. I see the export feature is quite nice now. There are just a few more settings missing like colorspace conversion, etc. I've updated my feature request so it's not about low-res anymore. Love the Font rendering to outline feature (Illustrator doesn't have that). 

favicon-16.png BRANDbrilliance • Graphics • Websites • Printing • E-marketing

Hello great Team!

Please, think about EPS exporting. Or include improvement of EPS exporting to your roadmap.

Maybe you should simply expand the number of EPS versions - http://prntscr.com/7r0abd

For microstock contributors/vector artists it will be so useful. Every work we must upload in EPS10. In many ways, AD is better for doing this work.

Some information for investigation and understanding, what illustrators from microstock need to do, for approving their artwork, by microstock's inspectors:

http://goo.gl/oIYOpA

http://goo.gl/5eyOv3

Example about current situation (version 1.3.2):

I make an object with gradient ( http://prntscr.com/7r06qy ). Export it in EPS format. Open it in the Adobe Illustrator. The result - the object turns to raster object ( http://prntscr.com/7r071e ). 

There are 2 ways to avoid this problem:

1. not to use gradients, transparency and more features

2. export in SVG (that is working good, without rasterization) and then export in EPS10, in Ai.

I wrote little post in Oct 2014 about this - https://goo.gl/WNhF06.

It's only my advice for you. Because I think you can increase the number of users, who can go to work with AD, instead of Adobe.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I know the situation from both parts - as vector artist and as past worker of microstock company.

Thanks, guys, for great product :)