TonyB

Affinity Designer feature roadmap

Hi guys,

just my two cents to the roadmap:

I'm using Affinity Designer to create figures and diagrams for research papers and occasionally I also draw posters for conferences (usually A0).

So far, AD is much more convenient for me than my department's single-seat Creative Suit license. However I can't seem to get AD to produce pure vector PDF output when using certain features.

Right now exporting a PDF from AD usually results in a rasterized PDF, even though I am not using effects that (at least in theory) have to be rasterized.

According to the forum (and trail and error testing) these things currently get pushed backed to pixels:

• groups cropped by vectors
  • embedded afdesigner documents,
  • certain (all?) gradients and transparency

I'm not too familiar with printing terms, but my guess would be the "Phase II transparency flattener" in the current roadmap would address some of these points?

If not, would you be willing to add something like that to the (hopefully nearer term) roadmap?

Cheers,

Marcus

I am still wondering if the "mesh warp/distort tool" planned feature is intended to include functionality similar to Inkscape's "envelope deformation" path effect. That effect is used to "bend" any of the four sides of a selection of paths and can constrain the either the X or Y axis, like this (text object converted to grouped paths):

Envelope_Deformation_-_Inkscape.png

Sorry to ask again but this functionality would be very beneficial to me. Thank you.

I am still wondering if the "mesh warp/distort tool" planned feature is intended to include functionality similar to Inkscape's "envelope deformation" path effect. That effect is used to "bend" any of the four sides of a selection of paths and can constrain the either the X or Y axis, like this (text object converted to grouped paths):

Sorry to ask again but this functionality would be very beneficial to me. Thank you.

Yes, you should be able to produce this effect when we implement the mesh warp tools.

How's the Pages and Artboards?

Any chance we might be getting it on the next update?  :D

No. At the moment we are focused on features for the Photo release. Pages and Artboards will probably come later this year (and not necessarily at the same time or in that order).

No. At the moment we are focused on features for the Photo release. Pages and Artboards will probably come later this year (and not necessarily at the same time or in that order).

Personally, I believe that multiple pages (like the old corel draw) is something much better than multiple artboards (like illustrator).

I don't think that AD should copy poor adobe ideas. It has to come with better and improved ideias.

One thing that would be new: Snap to intersection point is originally a CAD feature that is something strongly usefull for illustrations, and AI never had this. It would be awesome if AD adds this feature.

Another AWESOME Feature request from 3D programs:

ARRAY of OBJECTS, with instances or copies (iE: google for 3ds max or maya array of objects).

This is something I never understood why AI never had. I suspect that is because AI has an VERY ANCIENT engine, and it would easily crash with simple array of objects.

Although AD certainly can handle way more objects than AI, and could easily handle this feature, it could alert the user if the array settings may result in a long calculation. But generally, if you decide to use instances, the calculation is much faster.

Can we dream about this, AD STAFF? Dave Harris?

Personally, I believe that multiple pages (like the old corel draw) is something much better than multiple artboards (like illustrator).

I don't think that AD should copy poor adobe ideas. It has to come with better and improved ideias.

One thing that would be new: Snap to intersection point is originally a CAD feature that is something strongly usefull for illustrations, and AI never had this. It would be awesome if AD adds this feature.

I already wrote that feature, but it has been left out as it needs refinement.  It will be added soon, but may be limited to use in the Node and Pen tools.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I have nothing to add just that I am really loving Affinity Designer and I couldn't find anywhere else to add it! Just used the history slider to grab an object I wanted to rework on and I couldn't believe I could do that so easily. 

I've tried AI recently yet again and I really must say for someone like me, AD is far superior. I used to like iDraw but that pales in comparison. Really looking forward to the updates. 

I really love Affinity Photo as well - like AD, it's so easy to use for untrained wannabes like me!

Please find below the current feature roadmap for Affinity Designer. The list is a selection of features from our own internal roadmap we would like to share with our users. If a feature you would like isn't on the list then feel free to create a new post so everyone can discuss it. We read all the feature suggestions and consider each one very carefully.

The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Publishing PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, PDF/X-4

-PDF Image compression

-Trim and Bleed control

-Overprint control

-Printer marks including crop, registration, colour bars and Info

-Pantone, Spot and Registration colours

-Linked/Global colours

-Tints of colours

-Font sub-setting control

-Phase II transparency flattener

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool

-Mesh warp/distort tool

-Knife tool

-Calligraphic line styles

-Symbols

-Export slices previews with actual export data                 

-Pages and Art-boards

-Text features including Text Styles, Bullets and Numbering

-Knockout groups

-Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape

-Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape

Usability

-Pasteboard design area

-Replicate/Blend

-Custom rotation/transform centre 

-Guides and grid improvements

-User categories in the media browser for shapes and objects

-Customisable shortcut keys

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new post.

Glad to see that a movable transform centre is one of them.

Will the guides improvements include a means to select a line that falls on the guide without having to move the guide first?

Otherwise it looks very good and I think it would look even better if I understood some of the jargon!

What are:

Export slices previews with actual export data?

Knockout groups?

Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape?

Mac OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6

AD version 1.6.0

Export Slices are areas which can be defined as a range of "things" that get exported. This does not need to be the whole document (but also can be).

Knockout groups - i questioned myself what this means

Convert pixel area to vector - i think this goes along with tracing objects which is going to come as a new persona in Designer (already announced, but no date given) // it´s the possibility to transform a pixel image into a scalable vector graphic, in this particular case you might also have the ability to just convert a part of an image into a vector shape. 

/hopefully i got it right ;)

'Converting pixel area' - could this be taking a photograph and using Affinity photo to find edges and the make into a scaleable vector?

AD version 1.6.0

I think this roadmap is, as the headline states, more related to Affinity Designer, although some features might spread over to Photo.

The dev have not come up with a detailed description of the functionality but it is already to say that they want to build it really properly. I mean really really well, since they complained about most of the other solutions out there they might want to come up with a great implementation.

Cheers :)

Yes but there must be some kind of description of the feature for them to have something to develop really, really well!

AD version 1.6.0

What are:

Knockout groups?

Export slices with actual export data -> When in Export Persona, your export areas will actually show the exported image in place. Changing options for the export area will update the preview to show, for example, how the jpeg would look with the current level of compression/quality.

Knockout groups -> If you want to read the whole PDF spec properly, you need knockouts - this is a blending option. You can say 'for this group, each item in it will replace the overall opacity with its opacity' and this can make some nice effects.

Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape -> Once you have made a pixel selection, you will be able to automatically convert that outline into a series of curves. So, yes, it does give you some sort of tracing ability, but it requires your input. There is much more to a good auto trace than this small part. We already have code that will do this, but it needs refining.

Hope that makes some sense :)

Matt

What do you guys think of "Slice Layers" — grouped slices than can overlap each other, sorted in a layers-like panel, so you can export different parts of the same file for different projects (e.g. "logo only, high res" for print and "logo plus claim, low res" for web and such)?

The only one of these that make sense to me is likely to be the only one I am likely use, considering my narrow use of Design. will be converting pixels to vectors.

However the rest must very good news for those who are graphics geeks.

AD version 1.6.0

Glad to see that a movable transform centre is one of them.

Will the guides improvements include a means to select a line that falls on the guide without having to move the guide first?

Otherwise it looks very good and I think it would look even better if I understood some of the jargon!

What are:

Knockout groups?

A plea to the developers!

When the Rotation tool is eventually modified to be more user friendly for Designer could the following comment be noted.

DrawPlus had a movable centre of rotation and this was very useful when creating perspective vanishing point construction lines. Construction lines could be drawn to the left and right vanishing points that were often well outside the drawing area (drawing outside the area is not yet possible with Designer but I believe that has been planned for). The centre of rotation point could be moved from the default centre position to be at the extreme end of the line at the vanishing point. The problem in DP was that as soon as you deselected the line to select another line the centre of rotation defaulted back to the center position which was annoying!

Would the Designer developers consider allowing the choice to choose or not choose the default centre of rotation position?

AD version 1.6.0

Hi Jack,

I don't know if you are aware of these but here's two tips that may help you draw the construction lines (and other geometry) quicker.

The Snap to object geometry (in the Snapping Manager) will help to pick the start, mid and end points of lines, and nodes (in shapes).

When the mouse cursor gets near one of those points/nodes, they will change their color to yellow.

The Pen Tool - Line mode allows you to draw one segment at a time. So as soon as you end up the first it will start a new one, rather than continuing adding more points.

One note: I've used two small vertical lines aligned to the horizon line rather than crossing it to mark the vanishing points because Affinity Designer isn't able to snap to intersections yet (however it can snap to the end points).

Hi Meb,

That is an interesting work-round. I'm already snapping to objects.

The pen tool draws a new line from the end and not the beginning. If it could draw from the start of the line this would be OK for vanishing point construction lines? My vanishing points are nearly always way off the drawing area. I suppose I could work on an area of about 1000M square just to get VPs visible.

The small vertical line idea makes sense with the current snapping features.

I believe that extending construction lines off the working area is already on the to-do list.

AD version 1.6.0