You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Open folder in Explorer" (Windows Beta v1.7.0.293)

The command, "File > Open folder in Explorer", no longer opens File Explorer at the location of the Affinity Photo file currently being worked on. This worked in previous 1.7 beta versions.

Clipboard01.png

What I do: Document design/typesetting; Stock photo images; Digital art | Apps I use: Publisher, Photo, Designer | My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U; 16.0GB RAM; Win 10 Home (21H2)

It still works for me.

How did you open the active image?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It still works for me.

How did you open the active image?

I first thought the problem lay with dragging an A-Photo file from Win Explorer to A-Photo app window to open it. But I still experience the same problem when I open an A-Photo file using the "File > Open" or "File > Open recent" commands.

I've made sure that A-Photo is not on my anti-virus apps "block list".

What I do: Document design/typesetting; Stock photo images; Digital art | Apps I use: Publisher, Photo, Designer | My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U; 16.0GB RAM; Win 10 Home (21H2)

Interesting. Works for me whether I open the file directly, or drag/drop it to get it opened. File > Open Folder in Explorer works in both cases.

What symptom do you see when it fails? Does it open the wrong folder (which one?), or do nothing at all?

Have you tried restarting Photo, or rebooting Windows?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think I've found the issue!

The A-Photo file (that kept "Open folder in Explorer" from working properly) had a file name that included a comma (","). After removing that character from the file name, "Open folder in Explorer" functioned again, whether I opened the file via drag-and-drop from File Explorer, "Open" command, or "Open recent" command.

I will note though, the "Open folder in Explorer" command worked in previous 1.7beta releases with filenames that included the comma character. At least that's what I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

This issue has been fixed in the latest beta build. Thanks for your help finding this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.