You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I would like to align (snap) to objects that have different angles. Basically I have a geometric figure (a triangle) and I would like to add a rectangle to its border, but I'm not able to match the angles. Any idea ? 

Thank you for your help 

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You could either…

Create your rectangle along a line.

On PC hold down the Right Mouse as you drag the rectangle, and ensure that you are snapping to the corner nodes of the triangle. Then resize the rectangle as appropriate.

Or…

If you install the new 1.7 beta, you can use the new Point Transform Tool to drag your rectangle onto the triangle. Then resize the rectangle as appropriate.

812420522_AffinityTriangleRectangle.gif.7aec436edf81050cd120cccf0f600987.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

ok, I think I've managed. 

I was trying to cut some parts of a shape to achieve what you see in the 3rd image (which was not perfect). I'm still a beginner so I placed two rectangles filled with the same colour as the background at the corners and I was trying to align them to the triangle (image 1 and 2). I was actually able to get the result I wanted  by using the method that you suggested, but I don't think this is the best way to do so. Do you know other methods ? 

Thank you very much for the help 

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

Sorry to bother but there's actually another issue. I noticed that when the width of the blue triangle's stroke passed a certain point, it overplayed part of the letter (first picture). This was no big deal as I just used the "Vector Crop Tool" and erased the part of the triangle close to the letter. However, I also wanted to export the logo without the background as a PNG. In oder to do that, I changed the blend mode of the triangle (the one erasing part of the shape) to" erase". As I did that, the triangle seems to disappear (image2). It's still visible as a layer, but its "shape erasing effect" is gone. My goal is to obtain what you see in the 3rd image (without the erasing of part of the A). It seems like there is an incompatibility between the blend mode "erase" ad the "Vector Crop Tool". Any idea ? 

Thank you image1.thumb.png.097ab368dcc21f047b326df37ae558da.png

image2.png

image3.png

Not sure what you wanted to make or do here with that, but when you draw your vector triangles on a transparent background, or copy their curves over into a new doc with transparent background, it should be easy to save as a PNG.

triangles.jpg.38700901c10f7a14a6684ce30d9f7e77.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Not quite, it's a spammer, he's gone...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

12 hours ago, >|< said:

You've found an interesting bug (and it's still in the current 1.7 beta) - the cropped erasing object appears to erase itself only. Instead of cropping (which creates a rectangular vector mask), clip-nest the erasing triangle inside a rectangle that has no fill and no stroke; give the triangle Normal mode and give the rectangle Erase mode.

However, there is no need to reduce the erasing triangle; simply put the letter object higher than the erasing triangle in the Layers stack so that it is unaffected by the erasing.

A new document containing these alternative solutions: triangles 2.afdesign

Of course! I didn't think about just putting the letter on a higher level. 

Thank you so much for your time, have a great day