You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Soften edges of adjoining rectangles

Hi,

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction on this one. 

I have 2 rectangles, both with an image texture assigned, and I'd like the edge between them to be less noticeable.  In this case to create the effect of a concrete room.  However, I can't seem to find a way to do this.  I tried adding inner glows, outer shadows etc, but can't soften the sharp line.  See images attached. 

Any pointers would be welcome,

Regards, Dan

SHARP_EDGE_QUESTION.afdesign

SHARP_EDGE_QUESTION_01.PNG

SHARP_EDGE_QUESTION_02.PNG

The only thing that pops up in my mind is to remove the concrete images from the rectangles, add a Gaussian Blur filter to the rectangles to soften their edges, rasterize the rectangles, and then bring back the concrete images.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

As far as I can see, the rectangles themselves do not have any visible component, so you would need to blur the fills. Would you be able to blur the bottom edge of the top concrete image and the top edge of the bottom fill. It is difficult to be precise without knowing the details of the various objects.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If you can overlap the textures a little (say 0.25 inches) you can use the transparency tool just on that overlap part to fade the edge to zero transparency.

Not sure if you wanted to get rid of the seam totally or just reduce it, if just to reduce it the above should be enough

I have attached a screenshot where I also remove the shadow effect and slightly lightened the darker layer so the seam blended in better, almost eliminating it altogether (with a little more work you could probably eliminate it totally)

seam.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

To my mind you've made this overly complicated.

A much simpler approach would be to have a rectangle with a seamless concrete texture as a fill, then apply a soft black to white or dark grey to light grey gradient with LayersTabFxIcon_lightui.png.8791772d5d9205430cd6b09480514e21.png and set its opacity until it suits your taste.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello dhb,

I tried with a single rectangle on which I drew a fine black line to which I applied a Gaussian blur. Adjusting the Gaussian fuzzy value makes the "separation" appear more or less.

Béton.jpg

Hi, dhb,

My complicated solution. I tend to work that way. Lets hear it for fuss and bother.

I noticed a couple of things in your file, and wonder why. The two rectangles have different gradients, and at the adjoining overlapping edges, they have different grey values. Seems like there is no way they could not have a noticeable edge. The texture images has different values as a result. The banding seems to be worse w. the shadow fx turned on. Probably not the thing to do. Also, the rectangles, having straight edges, create a sharp line wherever there is a difference in the texture image. 

Attached is a file where I tried something different. In stead of having a gradient fill, w. a child image layer, I saved off the concrete texture, and used that as a bitmap fill. That way it could be reshaped as needed for variety, and the rectangle could have transparency applied to it, causing more variation if you need bands. I made the rectangles curves so I could roughen edges. Also added another layer of curves to obscure the seams more.

SHARP_EDGE.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks all for your input on this.  All your solutions are better than the approach I was taking - sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.  I'm new to AD but so far it's proving to be one of the best & intuitive tools I ever worked with.  Unfortunately that means the only limiting factor is my own ability.

I'll experiment more with your suggestions, many thanks again.