You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File/Place gotcha (easy fix)

I know that Place has been tweaked for text and image, but there's a thing I keep tripping over, for which there's a very simple fix.

I want to place an image, but I happen to have a text layer selected, so it offers me text placement only. This is understandable, but it's a real pain.

The very easy fix is in the drop-down in the file dialogue. As it is, it only offers text files. All you need to do is add an extra option in the drop-down for image files.

Thank you so much!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

This as far as I am concerned is a very bad, new, feature. 

It caught me out all day yesterday when I was constantly adding text then images to my document

It does not need a drop-down it needs rethinking

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On Windows, you can also type a filter expression into the file-name box, e.g., *.jpg, and press enter. That will refresh the list of files, and you can choose the one that you want. Or even *.* or simply * will work. Or you can put the leading part of the filename, such as arches* if you know it.

Still only a workaround, but perhaps it will help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows, you can also type a filter expression into the file-name box, e.g., *.jpg, and press enter. That will refresh the list of files, and you can choose the one that you want. Or even *.* or simply * will work. Or you can put the leading part of the filename, such as arches* if you know it.

Still only a workaround, but perhaps it will help.

Nice workaround -- thanks, Walt!

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

We believe this has been addressed in the latest (#371) beta build. Please retest this behaviour.

Tested in the most current #367 RC2, still must use Walt's workaround.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Patrick means maybe the new Publisher Beta (#371) ;-);-)

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.