You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. I opened jpg photos iin Affinity Photo, created borders on them, flattened them, saved as afphoto, then made them smaller from 300 to 72 dpi. They exported blurry as jpg. When I do the same thing in other programs they are fine. Affinity did not give a a choice of whether to resample, it just resamples them (Photoshop lets you decide). I stopped using Affinity Photo for this task. If anyone has a solution please let me know! Thanks.

Thanks but I can't a find a way to turn OFF resampling. It's not an option in the Export menu. The resampling may be causing the lossiness. Photoshop gives you an option to turn it off. In resize document you can turn it off but I want to export to jpg, and in the Export it's just on. It gives you choices of what kind of resampling to do, but I don't want to resample. I tried first resizing it with the resampling off, but hit the same snag when exporting.

If you want to change nominal dpi without resample you have to do it with Document>Resize Document... command.

As you found out, export dialog allows only resample (which is a shortcoming IMHO – probably because  AP had trouble with dpi change without resample feature and feature was later added to Resize Document but not to export dialog...)

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Affinity forums @jg1153465!

53 minutes ago, jg1153465 said:

WHY WHY WHY?????!!!!

I DO NOT NOT NOT KNOW!!!! ;) A bit more information would be nice to get you a solution. What application are you using? What were your export settings? What DPI are you using. Exporting as a raster image can be tricky, if the image is not positioned pixel perfect or the image has dimensions like 500,25 x 1000,37834 px, just to name two pitfalls. Best case would be, if you upload a ZIP containing your Affinity document and what exported so far, so others can have a look as well.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I had a look at your Designer file. I noticed that your drawing, had a width of 423.3 px. So I rounded that to 423px and first exported just that, using the option to export selected. I then exported the whole document. Opening the exported jpg files in FastStone Viewer, viewing them at %100 looked fine to me, ie; not blurry.

If you enlarge or zoom-in past %100 on raster images, then yes it will start to blur and eventually be pixelized. Even at %200 they didn't appear blurry. If you do what's known as pixel-peep, then you will always find faults. You don't look at actual photographs that have been printed out, by placing the photo at the tip of your nose.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

19 minutes ago, jg1153465 said:

I followed your steps and it still looks blurry.

Did you do this for both groups? The eyes/nose group suffers from the same problem as the group for the rest of the face. (You don’t need the container group, by the way, but that shouldn’t affect the exported result as long as the coordinates and dimensions of the contained groups are in whole pixels.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I exported your document as a PNG (after removing the decimal places from the X/Y values as mentioned above) and it comes out just fine for me when displayed 1:1.
You should probably explain what you mean by “for web purposes” as that can cover a very wide variety of things.
You should probably also give us more information about your export settings and what you are doing with the image.
You didn’t give us the exported image so we can’t check the difference between the “before” and “after”; we only have the “before”.
Also, if you are displaying the image in a web page then give us the HTML/CSS with which you will be displaying the image.

As a side note: Your design consists of curves. So if you export to a raster format you cannot expect the output as crisp as the export to a vector format. SVG would be a good candidate for you as it is supported by all? browsers.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

SVG would be a good candidate

3 hours ago, jg1153465 said:

I've exported as .jpeg, .png. svg.

I'm stuck in the past on v1.8 so cannot open the file - does it contain anything that is getting rasterised? If native svg is "blurry" then there are issues elsewhere... I find a good lens cloth works well sometimes :)

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

As a side note: Your design consists of curves. So if you export to a raster format you cannot expect the output as crisp as the export to a vector format. SVG would be a good candidate for you as it is supported by all? browsers.

FWIW, I exported the file to svg without altering the size or position of anything & it looks fine at any zoom level. No blurring at all.

Personal Brand.svg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7