You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poor performance with Threadripper

I recently built a new computer with a Threadripper 2920x CPU, except for that the rest of the system is exactly like the previous; 128GB RAM, RTX 2080 Ti and loads of storage capacity.

The only difference between the old and the new is the old had an i7 5960x.

The performance difference between these two computers in Affinity Designer and Photo is extremely disappointing.

I searched a little bit and found similar discoveries with the previous generation Threadripper, but I didn't find any solution to the problem.

What is the problem?

The cursor is fluid and moves nice in Windows and other software like Modo, Maya, Photoshop etc, but in both Affinity Designer and Photo the cursor stutters or lags across the window. It's so severe it's impossible to work. 

Have anyone with Threadripper or Ryzen 5/Ryzen 7 experienced the same?

I hope the dev team can take a look into this as well.

For what it's worth I will record a snippet of video when I get a moment.

Are you using a mouse or a pen and tablet and what type are they (models)?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you updated; I did try 1.7, there was no difference.

The mouse lags/stutters like crazy. It's like going from 60 fps to 20 or even 15 fps. If I click and drag to use a tool within the canvas, it improves a little bit, but a lot of the operation is within the layer window, the toolbox, going through menus for brushes, colors etc, not only the canvas.

After fiddling a lot with GPU drivers (creator vs gaming drivers and versions of those) G-sync was disabled by accident, and I noticed the lagging was gone.

So after a bit more testing I found out that when G-sync is set to work with windowed mode too, it became an issue with Affinity. The reason I thought it was an Affinity problem especially, and with Threadripper is I had recently built a brand new computer, and Affinity were the only apps that had this issue. 3D, video, compositing and other photo apps have not had this lagging issue at all.

I tried recording it, but in the videos it played fine, which also goes to tell that it was a G-sync issue, not Affinity directly.

Conclusion: enable G-sync only for full screen mode.

gsync.JPG.16174269c6ea675954cf75fd3dc2353c.JPG

I would think this still needs looking into if other apps were useable but affinity was not, that would still point to an issue somewhere along the line in Affinity. The fact you have narrowed it down is probably a big help.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Great, hope they figure out something. Or perhaps could team up with nVidia (and possibly AMD if it behaves the same with Freesync) to make G-sync switched OFF by default when you install a new driver, for this app specifically. I think it is possible in the nvidia control panel, all though I switched it off globally.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar issue with Gsync turned on, Affinity app will  flicker when moving the mouse changing the brightness either darker or lighter. I have confirmed it is Gsync cause when I turn it off it stops but with Gsync on it starts to flicker again. I do not want to have to turn Gsync on and off everytime I want to use the app. Makes the app unusable for me with my monitor.

• Staff

Hey citynights161,

Unfortunately we all have AMD and Freesync in the office so I've asked a colleague to these this on their machine at home as they are running G-Sync. As soon as this has been tested, I will report back.

Thanks and welcome to the Affinity Forums :)