You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make double clicking on an object highlight it in the hierarchy

I realise that you can zoom in on an object by double clicking on the object thats in the hierarchy, but why can't it be the other way around? I often can't find an object buried in the cluttered hierarchy, while I can see it clearly on the artboard. I believe that double clicking on the object and having the hierarchy automatically scroll to it, and have it selected would be very beneficial.

currently a double click on a curves object switches from the move tool to the node tool, so this can't be used to find in the layers panel.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Unless I’ve misunderstood the requirements, you can also set the Layers panel to “auto scroll”. When this option is on, when you select a layer on the canvas, the selected layer should be automatically highlighted in the Layers panel.

To make this happen, go to the top-right corner of the Layers panel, click on the little menu icon, and check/tick “Auto-scroll”.

Having said that, I’ve also seen this behaviour when “Auto-scroll” is off and, conversely, “Auto-scroll” doesn’t always scroll to the layer that was last created so I’m not sure if it’s working properly or I just don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to work (there’s not much in the Help about it).

P.S. Deleting threads makes it impossible for other people in the same situation to find the same answer without asking the same question again.

I think I might be getting myself a bit mixed up so may I confirm something so I know we’re talking about the same thing?

From your posts it sounds like you want the following functionality: “When the user selects a layer on the canvas, the Layers panel should automatically highlight the selected layer and scroll to where that layer is in the layer hierarchy if that layer is not currently visible in the Layers panel.”

Is this what you want to happen, or something else?

In Edit > Preferences > User Interface

Make sure "Show selection in Layers Panel" is ticked

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

In Edit > Preferences > User Interface

Make sure "Show selection in Layers Panel" is ticked

thanks,

never knew that option was there.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

So what is “Auto-scroll” supposed to do?

The documentation says: “Switch off Auto-scroll (panel scrolls to layer content when it is selected on the page)”.

However, all it seems to do for me, if switched OFF, is that the layers panel no longer scrolls when I drag a layer in that panel.