You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Palette from Document. And Help article wording ...

When I create a Palette from Document it always results in a palette of 68 swatches – regardless of the really used amount of colors.

That means even a palette from a placed vector illu with 6 flat colors only will be generated in .afpub as a palette of 68 swatches.

I assume a bug because ...

... the according Help article mentions to generate a palette of "all" colors of a document. Its amount sounds undefined so far, but then:
... a palette generated from a pixel-image file allows to pre-select the amount of resulting swatches.

The help article "Swatches Panel" seems to mention sth. different than the real action: it describes to generate a palette of all documents' colors - whereas it indeed creates a palette of the active page/spread only:

"To generate a palette from document:
    Click Panel Preferences and choose an option from Create Palette from Document.
    A new palette is created (named after the document) using all the colours currently in the document."

Luckily indeed it's NOT a palette from the complete document :)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

When I create a Palette from Document it always results in a palette of 68 swatches – regardless of the really used amount of colors.

That mans even a palette from a placed vector illu with 6 flat colors only will be generated in .afpub as a palette of 68 swatches.

Interesting.

I don't see that on Windows. Try, for example, creating a new Publisher document and simply drawing a rectangle on one of the pages. Now create a palette from the document, and (on Windows) it will have only white and the rectangle's fill color and stroke color.

If you're seeing that give a palette of 68 colors on Mac then yes, something is wrong.

As another test, here's a .afpub document with 3 rounded rectangles, each with a different fill and stroke. I created Palette 3 as a document palette, and it ended up with 7 colors (white, plus the 3 fill and 3 stroke colors).

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

I assume a bug because ...

... the according Help article mentions to generate a palette of "all" colors of a document. Its amount sounds undefined so far, but then:
... a palette generated from an pixel-image file allows to pre-select the amount of resulting swatches. 

The last line refers to using "Create Palette from Image..." which will bring up a file-chooser dialog, allowing you to choose an image and the number of colors to use in the palette.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

The help article seems to mention sth. different than the real action: it describes to generate a palette of all documents# colors - whereas it indeed creates a palette of the active page/spread only. (luckily NOT from the complete document!)

"To generate a palette from document:
Click Panel Preferences and choose an option from Create Palette from Document.
A new palette is created (named after the document) using all the colours currently in the document."

You're right. It's just dealing with the current page on Windows, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

54 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't see that on Windows. 

Did you try it with a placed resource?

54 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Try, for example, creating a new Publisher document and simply drawing a rectangle on one of the pages. Now create a palette from the document, and (on Windows) it will have only white and the rectangle's fill color and stroke color.

With your hint it becomes more weird:

Indeed, as long I create a palette from a page with pure affinity objects (like colored rectangles for instance) then I get an amount of swatches according to the amount of colors of these rectangles:

34745947_palettefromdocument-1-6objects.jpg.ff3d300571363031b378811585eaf881.jpg

But when I place a PDf of that page the amount of swatches obviously is related to the placed size of this pdf, means to kind-of its resolution. With small placed pdf I get 16 colors for instance:

1950525531_palettefromdocument-1-pdf16colors.jpg.beb2e46f0894cbcbdf6a29f503a86b7c.jpg

... and in larger placed pdf size the amount of created swatches increases to, for instance, 41 swatches:

248162183_palettefromdocument-1-pdf41colors.thumb.jpg.23897199d9c532305718a5ff40dc65d0.jpg

However, that might be a cool feature but I'd prefer to call it a bug – unless I am enabled to define the amount of resulting swatches as I may do when I create a palette from a pixelated image file (like .jpg for instance).

It does not make sense that Affinity treats an exported pdf of vector objects as pixelated image when it is about creating a palette of that pdf.

Resolution (DPI) still seems to 'create' a bunch of surprising issues in Affinity.

• Staff

Hi Thomaso,

This is a known issue with development, Create Palette from Document doesn't retrieve colours from a document, but instead creates them from a rasterised version of it, which will only bring in 68 colours. I shall get it bumped with them.

8 hours ago, Sean P said:

will only bring in 68 colours

Not only 68. – As I noticed after my first post the amount of colors seems to be related to the size of the placed image where the palette gets generated from. (see the last 3 screenshots above: 6 or 16 or 41 swatches - all from the same 1 placed file, just in different frame size.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.