You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dragging marquee from a centre point.

In Photoshop it is very simple operation to drag a constrained marquee from a centre point by holding down the shift and option keys whilst dragging the marquee tool. I cannot find how to do this in Affinity Photo, and from what I have read in old posts, it may not even be possible. Is this truely the case? It is a simple function I use all the time and could easily be a reason for why I cannot abandon the PS boat in favour of AF. Please can it be introduced ASAP if it does not exist but if it does then how?

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the lack of response to this query, I assume that not only is it not possible to achieve drawing a marquee out from a centre point but the Affinity crew have no interest in making it available. Shame, back to PS for me.

9 minutes ago, twosheds said:

Considering the lack of response to this query, I assume that not only is it not possible to achieve drawing a marquee out from a centre point but the Affinity crew have no interest in making it available.

That’s an unwarranted assumption. Serif staff don’t routinely post to suggestion thread unless clarification is needed.

As a workaround, you can draw a rectangle from the centre, choose the Pen Tool and use the ‘Selection’ button on the Context toolbar. (You may need to ‘Convert to Curves’ first. I’m not on my desktop machine, so I can’t check right now.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 9 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Alfred said:

That’s an unwarranted assumption. Serif staff don’t routinely post to suggestion thread unless clarification is needed.

As a workaround, you can draw a rectangle from the centre, choose the Pen Tool and use the ‘Selection’ button on the Context toolbar. (You may need to ‘Convert to Curves’ first. I’m not on my desktop machine, so I can’t check right now.)

Actually it's not an unwarranted assumption. This significant failing goes back years with numerous correspondents on other Affinity forums also asking for something to be done about it but thus far remains ignored. I don't want to faff about with work-arounds, just a simple keyboard action. It's no good Serif trying to be a creditable competitor to a giant like Photoshop when they seem little disposed to sorting out such a minor issue. I want to draw multiple circular marques accurately from the centre of maybe up to a dozen layers with each getting progressively smaller in diameter on each layer. Quick and easy to do in Photoshop but impossible in Affinity Photo. Like I said previously, back to PS.