Jump to content

Recommended Posts

• Is there a way to detect on object styles' definition by its single settings? I'd like to read an overview what parameters are set in a style, for instance what effects are used, what object format and what text format is applied. – Or is a styles' visual look applied to an object and a check of its settings in various panels the only way to detect?

• Is it possible to re-define a saved object style? – Or do I need to create a new style instead?


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Or is a styles' visual look applied to an object and a check of its settings in various panels the only way to detect?

That's the only way, as far as I know. Note that the Appearance panel (new in 1.7) may be helpful in looking at the settings.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Is it possible to re-define a saved object style? – Or do I need to create a new style instead?

No, you can't redefine a style. You can only assign it to something, then delete the style, then modify the object and create a new style.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Appearance panel (new in 1.7)

Hm? I am in Publisher 1.7.x and don't see an "Appearence" panel.

 

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, you can't redefine a style.

That's an additional tricky info about the difference between text style and object style: Object Style is not linked to any applied object.

I guess to make an object style linked to applied objects it would be necessary to use a symbol as step between compromise, – right?


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Hm? I am in Publisher 1.7.x and don't see an "Appearence" panel.

Sorry. That seems to be only a Designer feature.

 

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

That's an additional tricky info about the difference between text style and object style: Object Style is not linked to any applied object.

I guess to make an object style linked to applied objects it would be necessary to use a symbol as step between compromise, – right?

I don't think that Symbols would be useful for assigning Styles, but that's an interesting thought.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think that Symbols would be useful for assigning Styles,

Why not? – I see the advantage of both a style or a symbol in its repeatability. So why not combining that kind-of copy-paste with the chance to re-define its setting after it got applied to objects? – I agree, it is not really comfortable. I wonder why object styles aren't linked to their applied objects, like text styles do.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thomaso said:

Why not? – I see the advantage of both a style or a symbol in its repeatability. So why not combining that kind-of copy-paste with the chance to re-define its setting after it got applied to objects? – I agree, it is not really comfortable. I wonder why object styles aren't linked to their applied objects, like text styles do.

First, it seems cumbersome to me because a Symbol has content, not merely style information. With Styles, you can change the appearance of an object. But using a Symbol you can only create a copy of that Symbol as a new object, defining both some style attributes and content.

You can't take an existing object and change its appearance (fill, stroke, etc.) using a Symbol.

Next, if you did create a new object by using a Symbol, and then changed that object in any way without forgetting to unlink it from the parent symbol, you change all the other copies of that symbol.  That may be what you want, of course, but if what you want is a bunch of copies of something that you can change all at once, you don't need to think about styles at all. That's simply a Symbol function.

 


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, you are right: when I alter anything at a symbols child – either look or content – it gets unlinked and remains un-linked from its mother-symbol forever. That's a pity. Would be nice to be able to toggle a symbols child linked state again and again.


macOS 10.12.6,  Macbook Pro 15" + Eizo 24"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×